Speeding

geoffwales

Featured Posts

O find that, in the situation on the river that we are on, it's better to allow the boat to move about and provide big fat fenders to prevent any rubbing on the bank; trying to keep ropes bar tight and reducing movements just induces rolling. Letting the boat move forwards and backwards of its own accord keeps it on an even keel and makes things much less noticeable.

If you tie up (misguidedly) with a centre line, I can see there being problems with boats rolling.

The normal motion of boats passing (and we have flat out rowing boats and 100' trip boats) doesn't bother me. The boat just moves up and down a bit, and moves forwards and backwards.

When we were moored at Napton just above the top lock fast boats coming down to the lock would suck the water from around the hull and draw the bottom out towards the centre of the canal giving it quite a heal. This was with 2 lines on the bow stud and 2 on the rear stud with the deck almost level with the ground. The boat didn't surge about, it couldn't but you couldn't stop the bottom pulling away. The best bit was that once passed us you would think they had air breaks fitted as they stopped to put the crew ashore to set the lock.

On the salty stuff with wind and tide I was told that the longest lines ( that is the greatest angle) should be the tightest and those with little angle the least, Springs long and tight. Bow and Stern lines, distinctly ahead and astern of the boat, not quite so tight and Breast lines, directly ashore with lots of slack. In non PC traditional mariner speak "tight springs, saggy breasts". Mooring in shallow canals means surging along the canal line is an inevitable consequence of passing craft. Considerate boating requires adjusting speed to appropriate but also, and equally importantly, ensuring that your craft is adequately secured. My observations is that both failings are prevalent with each camp keen to blame the other without addressing their own shortcomings. The canals are no racetracks, but nor are they a place where basic boatman-ship can be left ashore.

Don

Different issues, too. You're unlikely to be affected by the 'draw' from a passing boat, only by the wash. Wash will not pull out mooring stakes, unless it's really severe.

Unlikely to be affected by the draw of a narrowboat, true, but there's some much bigger traffic on the Thames

I've been moored on the Thames for 2 years and when the big boats go past you're certainly affected by the draw.

Edited by blackrose

If this is the reason to slow down for moored boats, it is a very weak one, since the vast majority of boats I pass are unoccupied (and its pretty easy to tell if they are or not). In fact, if a boat is unoccupied, and securely tied, what is the reason to slow down past it?

Because;

1) You may not always be correct about the boat being unoccupied. I've seen several cases where somebody roared past at full pelt, only to come out with the classic "sorry, didn't realise anybody was on board"

2) Whilst the issue of people on board being injured is clearly important, it is not the only adverse effect of excess speed.

3) If a boat is secured on pins, the pins may pull out.

4) If a boat is secured on hooks, the ropes may work loose, and the surge will cause damage to the armco.

5) Causes premature wear to ropes.

6) The owner may hav omitted to lash every item of his belongings against the effects of speed freaks.

You can try and tie your boat up as well as you like but boats going past draw water from under the boat, making the boat drop in with the water level which makes the ropes slack and allows the boat to move. Also permanently moored non liveaboard boats slowly get loose as ropes stretch etc. Slowing down considerately is the only answer.

It's also a problem of standard engine size nowadays. It used to be that boats were powered be 13 hp engines but now the standard seems to be 40 hp and the average speed has increased with it.

If you haven't experienced boats going past too fast then just come and moor for a while where I do..

Casp'

And you are welcome to come and visit us and see what speeding boats really look like. :cheers:

What is the top speed of your average narrowboat?

And all this that everyone said doesn't semm to take into account fibreglass boats being thrown around.

????????

Tie up properly, with fenders between your boat and the bank. Your boat will still move a little bit, but he, .....wait for it....

It is a boat, floating on water. It is bound to move about. If you dn't like being in a small, convined space, that moves about, perhaps being on a boat is not for you?

• Greenie 1

Once followed a boat past a line of moored boats going so slowly that they must have hit just about every boat! When asked to increase speed a little they said they couldn't for fear of disturbing the moored boats!

They only way we could avoid joining them in their crashing progress was to hang back and wait.

Valid point. It's not always practical to pass moored boats on tickover.

In strong side winds I aint gonna slow down much. The moorers would probably prefer having their tea stirred than having their boats hit.

.....it's better to allow the boat to move about and provide big fat fenders to prevent any rubbing on the bank;

On my home mooring I have wide tyres to moor against, they're about 9" wide & even the speeders don't seem to affect us too much. Yes, we move with the draw, but the tyres nicely soak up any slack in the ropes, so no banging about. Don't yell at boats anywhere near as much as I used to before I got them & so save a lot of heartbeats.

I don't understand why there seem to be mainly two camps on here. Those who say that some people don't slow down enough, and those who say it's the fault of those who don't tie their boats up properly. Surely it's not too hard to see that some people don't slow down enough, AND some people don't tie up properly. The two are not mutually exclusive! :rolleyes:

Tim

• Greenie 2

I don't understand why there seem to be mainly two camps on here. Those who say that some people don't slow down enough, and those who say it's the fault of those who don't tie their boats up properly. Surely it's not too hard to see that some people don't slow down enough, AND some people don't tie up properly. The two are not mutually exclusive! :rolleyes:

Tim

Have a greenie

Tim

So are the worst "offenders" those who don't slow down enough and also don't tie their own boats up properly when they do stop ? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s all about planning, if you plan your journey and allow time for hold ups then you don’t need to be in a hurry and speed. Common courtesy when passing other boats that are moored I would have thought would be good practise.

On the salty stuff with wind and tide I was told that the longest lines ( that is the greatest angle) should be the tightest and those with little angle the least, Springs long and tight. Bow and Stern lines, distinctly ahead and astern of the boat, not quite so tight and Breast lines, directly ashore with lots of slack. In non PC traditional mariner speak "tight springs, saggy breasts". Mooring in shallow canals means surging along the canal line is an inevitable consequence of passing craft. Considerate boating requires adjusting speed to appropriate but also, and equally importantly, ensuring that your craft is adequately secured. My observations is that both failings are prevalent with each camp keen to blame the other without addressing their own shortcomings. The canals are no racetracks, but nor are they a place where basic boatman-ship can be left ashore.

Don

right on bro' :captain:

was moored behind a boat yesterday which displayed the following sticker in its windows

"so what part of SLOW DOWN dont you understand?"

I cant say this sort of attitude would make me want to be nice and compliant!

Edited by Djuwenda

was moored behind a boat yesterday which displayed the following sticker in its windows

Yes the pre-emptive strike is the most annoying.

I get tired of the "You'd better clean up after your dog!" comments from passing boaters.

My responses range from "I hope you don't empty your cassette into the cut!" to "Of course I do, then I smear it on the windows of boats."

This reminds me of the "That 70s Boat" around with a sign on the back saying

"WARNING: GENERATOR RUN TILL LATE AT NIGHT"

Seems to work. I never see anyone moored up close to them.

This reminds me of the "That 70s Boat" around with a sign on the back saying

"WARNING: GENERATOR RUN TILL LATE AT NIGHT"

Seems to work. I never see anyone moored up close to them.

Yes. Never seen anyone near him, just upfrom Ansty 2/3 weeks ago