Boat Sunk at Grindley brook

Thewatchmaker

Featured Posts

So having read the thread am I right in concluding it is all the fault of volunteers or hire boaters? So as soon as we rid the canals of these vermin the better.............ah well at least it is not the fault of CCers so I will carry on knowing that I will never make any mistakes.

It will be your fault next week. Fear not :cheers:

So having read the thread am I right in concluding it is all the fault of volunteers or hire boaters? So as soon as we rid the canals of these vermin the better.............ah well at least it is not the fault of CCers so I will carry on knowing that I will never make any mistakes.

Not you, I know, but your travelling companion.

But is a CC-er getting their tiller snapped off in a lock a good example to hire-boaters ? :rolleyes:

It is even possible a volunteer lock keeper might have spotted it about to happen! :lol:

Is there still a lock keeper at Grindley Brook?

I really wish I had not asked this question! I did not mean to lead the forum off into a discussion about the pro's and cons of lock keepers (voluntary or otherwise)

It would appear yet another boating trip has come to an abrupt end. I sincerely hope no one was hurt and I feel dreadfully sorry for the people involved.

Not you, I know, but your travelling companion.

But is a CC-er getting their tiller snapped off in a lock a good example to hire-boaters ? :rolleyes:

It is even possible a volunteer lock keeper might have spotted it about to happen! :lol:

I am trying to teach him!!! As I have said many times we all make mistakes That tiller thing was purely not paying attention....I have sent him to the norty step and told him to go for retraining

Was it a hire boat? or was it a private boat?

Either way, it is a sad misfortune for the people on board and the boat too.

So much more bad boat handling this year in general. I wonder if the recession (or grumpy marina owners) is pushing people out of marina's who, as said earlier, have been 'floating caravans' previously, and are now inexperienced CC'ers?

That said, all of us can make mistakes, have bad days, get things wrong. People have been speeding through the waterways more this year as we have noted on another thread, and perhaps are also trying to hurry through locks without due care and attention. Some are 'helping' other boaters through locks to try and speed things up, sometimes again without due care and attention.

Take care with your boat, take care with other peoples boats if helping out, slow yourselves back down and relax and enjoy the waterways.........

Liveaboards have their lifetime to get there.

• Greenie 1

no i'll stick wih when! not saying it will happen this week, next week but i'm sure it will happen as you get more of these volunteers who think they and only they are right!

I can't help feeling that an inexperienced boater, about to cill a boat, will benefit from the presence of an inexperienced volunteer, who was trained to respond to a potential cilling the day before.

Not Again.... So sad to hear of all these cillings

I wonder how much of this is down to what used to be called "coach crash syndrome". Once one or two events have occurred, every little incident becomes newsworthy.

And of course with the internet, every incident is rapidly reported to a wide audience. I wonder how the current spate compares to say five years ago.

I do believe that the huge increase in people going out in their boats with little or no experience of boating would probably increase the number of incidents.

[/size][/color]

I wonder how much of this is down to what used to be called "coach crash syndrome". Once one or two events have occurred, every little incident becomes newsworthy.<snip>

I don't think that is what is happening. Significant boat cillings have always got onto here

Richard

Blimey, your posts are tricky to cut when quoting - all them formatting statements. MORE - Blast, got it wrong.

Edited by RLWP

Blimey, your posts are tricky to cut when quoting - all them formatting statements. MORE - Blast, got it wrong.

Strange, loads of colour, font etc etc but it doesn't appear any different when posted... :huh:

Can you expand Richard? I only post in plain text, apart from adding the quote in square brackets and inserting the text by ctrl-c/ctrl-v.

Any formatting is added by the forum.

Ah - except for the sig!

Edited by dor

[/size][/color]

Can you expand Richard? I only post in plain text, apart from adding the quote in square brackets and inserting the text by ctrl-c/ctrl-v.

Any formatting is added by the forum.

Ah - except for the sig!

Click on reply on one of your own posts.

[quote name='dor' timestamp='1344330822' post='918312']
[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"] [/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Can you expand Richard?   I only post in plain text, apart from adding the quote in square brackets and inserting the text by ctrl-c/ctrl-v.[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Any formatting is added by the forum. [/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Ah - except for the sig![/size][/color]
[/quote]

Have you set up something in your profile?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

In dock. Tea break. Very likely a lot of this not paying attention to things is due to incessant playing around with modern electronic gadgetry and gizmo's. Its generally quite quite up here on the Stort, but nearly every boat that goes by and enters the lock, the steerer, crew or both have either mobile phones clapped to their ears, Blue tooth plugs stuck in the other ear or are messing about with, dodgital cameras, Ipods, tripods, camcorders, sat navs,orbed ect ect. I've even seen a couple of boats with laptops propped up on the rear hatch with both steerer and crew goggling at it whilst going along. Some folk are so obviously fully absorbed with all this junk that they're paying very little attention to anything.

One bloke a couple of years ago was doing ''The marching about thing'' whilst on his mobile phone and marched straight into the lock, PLOP!!!! he was erm so immersed in it, ok though he climbed up the ladder and out, minus mobile phone.

Leave it all below i reckon and pay attention or better still leave most of it at home. :unsure:

ps Holiday boat hirers should be searched by the hire boat company and all this stuff confiscated before they take over the boat, returnable on their return of course. :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard

Well it's your fault for mooring in such a picturesque place! :D

It is nice here LM and you can't blame folk for taking photo's but all the other stuff which they're messing about with i'm sure some are not even aware of the beautiful surroundings.

Taken last night at about 7.15

Thanks for that, Thewatchmaker.

What a terrible sight that is and what an appalling period over the last few weeks for sunken and damaged boats in locks. .

I hope all on board were safe.

Stewey

Yup looks like an Alvechurch boat.

Would really like to no weather there was a lock keeper on duty or not though

Even if there was a lockie they spend a lot of their time running up and down the staircase resetting the locks and letting people know when it's their turn to come through. Unfortunately they can't watch every boat.