Boat Sunk at Grindley brook

Thewatchmaker

Featured Posts

Can any one recall when we have had so many boats sunk in locks?? in one short period -

ed - beaten to the same question by Blackrose

Edited by The Dog House

This may be due to Volunteers replacing professional lock Keepers.

Firesprite

Before we have more info. that is purely speculative and not particularly helpful...

This may be due to 'Volunteers' replacing 'Professional' lock Keepers.

Firesprite

The lock keepers at Grindley Brook were both full time "professionals" when we went through.

There were lock keepers there both times that we went through last week. They were both "proper" lock keepers, not volunteers. They are there from, I believe, at least 8am to 6pm - but you can go through at any time of day or night.

On our way down, the boat in front nearly sabotaged us by leaving both bottom paddles of the bottom chamber open by 2 turns. The lock keeper didn't spot it until we were touching bottom in the middle chamber - it looks a long way up from there - then hurriedly ran some water down to the confusion of the boat which had just entered the top chamber.

They are indeed dropping like lemmings. Seems very odd, we've only met the usual proportion of idiots recently.

That's a clever piece of speculation.............

Were they also black, terrorists, paraplegic, part-time, single mothers, unemployed pikeys?

perhaps they were loitering with the intent of using a lock!

This may be due to 'Volunteers' replacing 'Professional' lock Keepers.

Firesprite

I for one think it was a good point being made, what is going to happen when a volunteer lockkeeper manages to sink a boat or even kill someone?

I for one think it was a good point being made, what is going to happen when a volunteer lockkeeper manages to sink a boat or even kill someone?

Don't you mean "if"

Or if you have a crystal ball that can predict that is going to happen please can you also state where and when so everyone can avoid using that lock at that time.

What would happen if a full time professional lock keeper sunk a boat? Has it ever happened or ever come close to happening?

• Greenie 1

For 4 days including the weekend there were no lockeepers of any description. Funny enough all the boaters including hirers were happy to take full responsibility to work themselves uk or down the flight. This is how it should be rather than a blame game. However I can't remember so many boats in trouble.

No it is not sorry Hammy,

How do paid lockies get trained? and is there anything to suggest yet the training volunteers get is any less? and how you tell the difference, do the volunteers have 'volunteer lock keeper' tattooed on their forehead.

In the absence of definitive info. to the contrary then liability I'm pretty sure still lies with C&RT whether the lockie is paid or a volunteer...

Interesting all this Vollie bashing, about lack of skill and experience. I am a volunteer and out of the 10 full time C&RT guys who may join us when we are on duty. I have more years experience then over half of them

• Greenie 4

Interesting all this Vollie bashing, about lack of skill and experience. I am a volunteer and out of the 10 full time C&RT guys who may join us when we are on duty. I have more years experience then over half of them

Sorry Ian I've used my greenie allowance up for today - you'll have to make do with a virtual one - good post...

Well said and thank you for volunteering. I am happy to work locks without assistance but as we get older they are getting harder (for some reason we hate the buckby flight) so all help gratefully received.

This is insane! I'm glad I wasn't using the forum this time last year, I was antsy and paranoid enough about the possibility of my boat sinking just sitting static on my mooring, never mind when going out.

There must surely be some kind of underlying statistical factor at play here. I don't have any educated guesses or deductions a' la Freakonomics to make on the subject, but I'm sure there must be some bizarre combination of seemingly unconnected factors at play here involving random variables such as for examples, the economy, the late/ not happening summer, and the water levels or something? Most peculiar.

Don't you mean "if"

Or if you have a crystal ball that can predict that is going to happen please can you also state where and when so everyone can avoid using that lock at that time.

What would happen if a full time professional lock keeper sunk a boat? Has it ever happened or ever come close to happening?

no i'll stick wih when! not saying it will happen this week, next week but i'm sure it will happen as you get more of these volunteers who think they and only they are right!

no i'll stick wih when! not saying it will happen this week, next week but i'm sure it will happen as you get more of these volunteers who think they and only they are right!

The only thing you wont know is how many these volunteers who think they and only they are right save from sinking.

Utter bollocks...what evidence? exists to support this?

yes i'm not decrying the efforts of experienced people like you, its just as you rightly say there is bad and good both sides of the fence!

Utter bollocks...what evidence? exists to support this?

shame you have to resort to swearing to win a discussion!