Why not become a CRT'er

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

...this thread seems to have a polarised set of contributors...

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion.

I am usually (though I think harshly) judged to be an overstayer sympathiser who has criticised Laurence for knocking C&RT before they get going.

I cannot side with the extreme and vitriolic comments of Geoff, though, when my experience with BW has been completely the opposite to his.

If that vitriol is carried over to his negotiations with BW then I'm not one bit surprised he is in his predicament.

I also think it admirable that, despite his reservations, Laurence has embraced the new regime and is prepared to work with them.

Laurence

Do you not learn from experience? I wish you were right but you're not. You should know better as one who has a genuine interest in the waterways. If you lived on a boat on the towpath you might have a different experience and a different perspective.

I have a deep drafted wooden boat - Pearl/ Thomas Clayton - and now consider, and will inform the court, that the canals are no longer safely navigable by boats such as mine.

Are you aware that I am being taken to court for not 'continuing my journey' in 8'' of ice?

They are a disgrace and I will do everything possible to have them removed from office and prosecuted.

The rest of you can 'dream on'.

I know it's been a shit Summer but the ice round my way was around for about 1 week in February this year.

Carlt

Your experience is your experience mine is mine. You have your opinions I have mine.

You don't currently live on the canal on a wooden boat. I do.

I don't care what happened to you in Coventry I,m telling you what happened to me.

Who are you to condemn my 'attitude'? You don't know the facts.

You know nothing about my communications with BW.

You are making assumptions and passing judgement on things you know nothing about.

I thought you were brighter than that.

Chieftiff

Who cares about your 'feeling'. You know nothing about my situation either.

Opinionated boors without the courage to challenge serious issues of abuse, illegality, malfeasance and breaches of duties, obligations and undertakings.

I look forward to the Judgement of the court, if the case ever gets into court.

If my statements divide opinion so what. I know the facts and have the evidence. Who cares about your opinion.

Laurence

Do you not learn from experience? I wish you were right but you're not. You should know better as one who has a genuine interest in the waterways. If you lived on a boat on the towpath you might have a different experience and a different perspective.

I have a deep drafted wooden boat - Pearl/ Thomas Clayton - and now consider, and will inform the court, that the canals are no longer safely navigable by boats such as mine.

Are you aware that I am being taken to court for not 'continuing my journey' in 8'' of ice?

They are a disgrace and I will do everything possible to have them removed from office and prosecuted.

Does the chip on your shoulder come from your boat?

Laurence

Frankly maybe its "boaters" like you who should be removed and moved on.

My boat draws 3ft 3" under way. I have also lived on a boat without problem, owned two full length wooden motors properly ice plated and boated in ice, (but would not have attempted 8" ice.). THere are more offenders on the waterways by a long reach than in Watford and whilst some in Watford may not be to everyones taste CRT may well rectify that.

Carlt

Your experience is your experience mine is mine. You have your opinions I have mine.

You express your opinion, I express mine.

You don't currently live on the canal on a wooden boat. I do.

Many of my friends still do and would dispute your claims just as I do.

I don't care what happened to you in Coventry I,m telling you what happened to me.

If you don't care about anyone else's experiences why should anyone care about yours?

Why should you have the monopoly on relating tales.

Who are you to condemn my 'attitude'? You don't know the facts.

Then why don't you start a thread and tell us instead of just accusing people of being "nazis" without producing any evidence?

You know nothing about my communications with BW.

If it's anything like your communications here then you've given us enough samples to form an opinion.

You are making assumptions and passing judgement on things you know nothing about.

No I am forming an opinion about the comments you have made here.

I thought you were brighter than that.

I'm bright enough to dismiss the vitriol of someone who admits he doesn't care about anyone but himself

Chieftiff

Who cares about your 'feeling'...

...Who cares about your opinion.

See what I mean?

Does the chip on your shoulder come from your boat?

Perhaps he went to the same veterinary college as Starcoaster.

• Greenie 1

Just to remind the more sensible minded of the original post and thanks to all who have let me know they have joined. Now we have a new set up why not try to get involved and make it better? If it then failed you could justify saying, well you asked, we helped, joined and "this" has happened.

You can now join for just £3.00 a month which I think is reasonable: https://canalrivertr...lved/donate-now

It wont take long before we will be seeing if this new style of governing our waterways will work, by becoming a CRT'er it will help rally support for the new charity.

We could do with someone drawing up a unofficial "CRT'er" logo (cartoon) so we could be individual CRT'ers (Canal River Trust Enrolled supporter) - as the charity if anything it is a bit stark IMHO and needs a more cheerful look to it.

In Birmingham today posters are alongside main roads advertising CRT and chuggers seemed to collaring folks at the top of Farmers Bridge.

Go on, its only £3.00 a month to be a CRT'er!!

https://canalrivertr...lved/donate-now

• Greenie 1

Now I might be being a bit thick here... But by saying this goes to the benefit of the network and not to the admin they are suggesting that the money will somehow be better used. But surely if the CaRT money is not being spent on maintenance etc, there is more available for bonuses and wasteful administrative practices?

Calling it a 'golden pound' doesn't stop it still being used for things that CaRT would have to pay for if it wasn't forthcoming.

If they raised lots of money (big if!), then they would spend (waste) less of CaRT's main revenue, the directors pat themselves on their backs and tell each other what a wonderful job they have done, then rush off to the bank laughing their heads off with another fat bonus cheque.

Greenie

We've signed up, too. I hear on the TT that the plan is eventually to give Friends a vote for a Council member once there is a significant body of them. IF true, the risk to the IWA is pretty serious; if C&RT realises Aickman's vision of a National Conservancy for the Waterways, what would be left for IWA?

Why do you think they wanted to be trustees of CaRT? maybe they see no future for the organisation they are already with,

Can't be any worse than the last shower so yes I am celebrating.

That's the point - it is the last shower still in charge and still behind closed doors.

My reaction to come ans join CART was to remember Lonnie Donnegans hit 'My old mans a dustman' with it's lines 'He shouted, "Am I too late?" "No jump up on the CART!"

Why would it be such a "disaster" for "members" to be able to influence policy? I still think the National Trust Model would be a good one for the CaRT to adopt at some point. In a nutshell, if 50 people sign a motion it can be put to a vote at an AGM (subject to certain conditions). All members are also able to attend the NT's AGM (as opposed to requiring an invitation, which was the case with BW - at least when I went to their AGM.

The way the National Trust do it is here:

http://www.nationalt...k/about-us/agm/

I am aware of how The NT do it. Just be careful what you wish for. Members of The NT all have common aim and that is to preserve our Heritage.

Just a couple of scenarios for you if all members of CaRT had a vote and were able to influence policy.

Scenario 1 CaRT has a limited fund for maintenance membership say by 2015 is 100,0000 maybe 10,000 are boaters. It is put up for motion that 75% of the limited budget should be spent on maintaining Towpaths and adding more facilities for cyclists and walkers. It would only need 50,001 of the non boaters made up of mainly walkers, fisher persons and cyclists to vote that through.

Scenario 2. CaRT has a shortfall of £10 million for general maintenance 50 cyclists get together put forward a motion that if the 30,000 boaters paid an extra £350 a year on there licence the £10 million would be raised no problem. It goes to the AGM and the 90% non boaters vote it though.

Now I think a membership scheme based on The NT model would be a disaster for CaRT as there are to many different interest groups. Blimey we can not even agree on most things as boaters.

I am aware of how The NT do it. Just be careful what you wish for. Members of The NT all have common aim and that is to preserve our Heritage.

Just a couple of scenarios for you if all members of CaRT had a vote and were able to influence policy.

Scenario 1 CaRT has a limited fund for maintenance membership say by 2015 is 100,0000 maybe 10,000 are boaters. It is put up for motion that 75% of the limited budget should be spent on maintaining Towpaths and adding more facilities for cyclists and walkers. It would only need 50,001 of the non boaters made up of mainly walkers, fisher persons and cyclists to vote that through.

Scenario 2. CaRT has a shortfall of £10 million for general maintenance 50 cyclists get together put forward a motion that if the 30,000 boaters paid an extra £350 a year on there licence the £10 million would be raised no problem. It goes to the AGM and the 90% non boaters vote it though.

Now I think a membership scheme based on The NT model would be a disaster for CaRT as there are to many different interest groups. Blimey we can not even agree on most things as boaters.

I think your right in noting caution when it comes to C&RT comparisons with the NT. However I also think it is far to simplistic to think all who are interested in NT are all joined up working to the same goal it just isn't like that and there are many differing interest line there.

However I do think there are some fundamental differences. In the main NT is about preservation of heritage and managing public access to it. There are similarities with C&RT there but the difference I think is that C&RT has to maintain a system for public use. We as boaters particularly are using the very heritage to be preserved in a way that no NT property would be.

Just to remind the more sensible minded of the original post and thanks to all who have let me know they have joined. Now we have a new set up why not try to get involved and make it better? If it then failed you could justify saying, well you asked, we helped, joined and "this" has happened.

You can now join for just £3.00 a month which I think is reasonable: https://canalrivertr...lved/donate-now

It wont take long before we will be seeing if this new style of governing our waterways will work, by becoming a CRT'er it will help rally support for the new charity.

We could do with someone drawing up a unofficial "CRT'er" logo (cartoon) so we could be individual CRT'ers (Canal River Trust Enrolled supporter) - as the charity if anything it is a bit stark IMHO and needs a more cheerful look to it.

In Birmingham today posters are alongside main roads advertising CRT and chuggers seemed to collaring folks at the top of Farmers Bridge.

Please stop treating me like a moron by repeating yourself over and over.

Today in Gloucester to celebrate the launch of the new CRT they had a party at the Canal Museum for about 30 or so people, mostly in suits. All very nice and apparently a free Bar open for just the 4 Hours! Sorry, Boaters not welcome. Perhaps this is what the £3.00 a month is for?

John

Sounds good. I could clear £36 worth easily in four hours.

Martyn

I accept your point - I do wonder whether there is some happy medium - but yes, you're quite right - if there is a membership largely skewed towards people who use the canals in an indirect way (i.e. walk beside them, cycle next to them, stare lovingly at them, etc) then it could present a challenge.

(See - boaters can agree on some things..! :) )

I accept your point - I do wonder whether there is some happy medium - but yes, you're quite right - if there is a membership largely skewed towards people who use the canals in an indirect way (i.e. walk beside them, cycle next to them, stare lovingly at them, etc) then it could present a challenge.

(See - boaters can agree on some things..! :) )

Just look at the true level of apathy and what percentage of boaters even bothered to vote for a trustee to represent them. You would not need a very large group with other interests to out vote them. I have been to IWA AGMs and the number of members who turn up who are not committee members of some branch is very small. Most members of most organisations are happy to sit back and let others make decisions.

The NT had a panic a few years ago when members with a hunting interest mounted a campaign to change things.

to remind folks of the OP:

Well tomorrows sees the launch of CRT. You can now join for just £3.00 a month which I think is reasonable: https://canalrivertr...lved/donate-now

I do want to help make sure that C&RT is successful. I am unsure the best way to do that.

The dilemma for me is that I pay a membership to the IWA and I need to decide where that membership money would do most good ( as I am am not going to do both) i.e. carry on the IWA membership or ditch it and put it into the C&RT as a "Friend"

I do want to help make sure that C&RT is successful. I am unsure the best way to do that.

The dilemma for me is that I pay a membership to the IWA and I need to decide where that membership money would do most good ( as I am am not going to do both) i.e. carry on the IWA membership or ditch it and put it into the C&RT as a "Friend"

And I think that is a question that a lot of people will be asking themselves.

I to want C&RT to be successful but I already pay via my license, marina and BSC , I'm not convinced that I want to spend £3 a month as well, I may consider sponsoring some work - re opening side ponds or dredging etc etc.

Already happening. NBW (sorry) today have an article about C&RT's plan to cultivate water plantain in the canals for the benefit of insects and have engaged Chester Zoo to advise them. Quick release weed hatch for the next project?

Paul

I've been led to believe that it wasn't BW that paid for the upkeep of the towpaths

P.S. I've just clicked on the link. We don't get a boat sticker but we DO get a CAR STICKER, FFS. It really is beginning to look as though boaters are persona non grata in CaRTworld

Bearing in mind that the friend scheme is primarily aimed at canal users who currently contribute nothing directly (ie towpath walkers, cyclists -- in fact anyone who's not a boater) it make sense that they call it a car sticker.

In fact, virtually all the publicity surrounding the launch is aimed at these people, which is why they're not banging on about boats all the time. That would put off many of the new supporters CART wants to reach as a new source of income.

(Plus, of course, there's nothing to stop a car sticker being put in a boat window. But you knew that).