Braunston Historic Boat Festival 2012

matty40s

Featured Posts

Carlt (Yes - honestly! - sorry Carl!)

No apology necessary Alan. I was hurriedly introducing myself then wandering around trying to find people I needed to see in the short time I had there.

At the Lapworth pre-banter I was on Lonewolf's boat onto my second cup of tea before she realised who I was and threw me off.

I think it's my fault because I mumble when I introduce myself and am busy getting ready to duck, in case they heard me properly.

Edited to add: Lonewolf didn't really throw me off her boat. She was perfectly charming.

Edited by carlt

Alan F, as Carl says - no apology necessary. I should have wedged in for a chat but ddin't want to walk across boats uninvited.

I chatted to Mike-the-B on Saturday for a bit, but spent most of my time behind the lens.

It turns out that "Spiritofalbion" and I were right next to each other, snapping away, but didn't realise at the time.

At least we have a running engine now. Maybe next year we'll have it in the tug and be able to join in preoperly.

I'm always highly reluctant to try and publish a list of who I met, as I have a memory like a sieve, and don't want to offend those I leave off the list......

However, I think it is quite fun to see just how many forum people one meets at these things, so here is my first quick crack at a list of who I personally met....

Associated with historic boats present.....

Chertsey

David Mack

Evil Edna

Kez

Koukouvagia

Liam

Mike The Boilerman

Paddington Bear

Peter O

Starcoaster

Tim Lewis

Water Rat

Other visitors.....

Barry Adams

Black Ibis

Blue String Pudding

Dan Gereaux

David Schweizer

Fade to Scarlet

Jeannnette Smith Harrisson

Kathleen Bridget

Maggie Young

Matty40S

Moomin Papa

Mrs Tawny Owl

M T Major

Pete Harrison

Ray T

Richard T

RLWP

Spirit of Albion

Tree Monkey

TWBM

Plus some obvious ones I some how kind of missed......

Carlt (Yes - honestly! - sorry Carl!)

Jake Crew

Stagedamager (I know Cath chatted with Dan and family, but somehow I still have yet to fully talk to him, I think!)

I'm absolutely convinced I have left some key players off - I just thought of two more, as I was about to post, so please feel free to jog my memory!

Edited to add a key omission!

We're getting good at this Alan!! There is plenty of time yet, I'd have been around for longer but Lily-Mae got a bit cranky!!! Hope Sickle got fixed!!

Dan

Here (clicky) are 'a few' pictures mainly from the Saturday morning parade. I put the time to 1 sec and the washing-up still has to wait. Enjoy.

P6234647a.JPG

Excellent, Peter.

I think you Fulbourne people have collectively given a very good flavour of the whole event.

I particularly like the one you have picked out here......

Here are 'a few' pictures mainly from the Saturday morning parade.

I enjoyed those

There is one portrait of an old bloke wearing blue I think. When I saw that I filled up. You caught something in his expression that is powerfully emotive

I enjoyed those

There is one portrait of an old bloke wearing blue I think. When I saw that I filled up. You caught something in his expression that is powerfully emotive

?? - this one

P6234745b.JPG

Excellent pictures Peter thanks for the link...

Edited by MJG

That's Ron Withy. I'm amazed you caught him in a pensive momement. He's usually regaling everyone nonstop with boaty tales. :)

To be clear it was Peter's pic. not mine.

That's Ron Withy. I'm amazed you caught him in a pensive momement. He's usually regaling everyone nonstop with boaty tales. :)

I think Peter did well not to find him steering someone else's boat!

For the uninitiated, Ron Withey is a former working boatman of the area, (probably one of the final Willow Wren ones I'm thinking), and manages to get a steer of just about any boat he fancies that day.

It is indeed an absolutely cracking photo of "Rocket Ron".

I was also much pleased to see Laura Carter riding around on Renfrew again this year, and clearly enjoying herself. Laura was the regular steerer of Renfrew right until it ceased carrying for Blue Line, (and indeed the boats her family ran before that, including the much debated "Ian").

IMG_2246.jpg

Laura is in front of the engine room. Renfrew is being driven "with enthusiasm" by Nick Hill, who carried in the 1970s, and I believe the lady on the gunwale is the daughter of Bill and RoseWhitlock, who ran the pair Renfrew and Lucy with Laura.

Aaargh! The first piece of evidence emerges...

med_gallery_6949_802_211608.jpg

Look, it was my first time, OK?

Me bluffing it at the helm of Fulbourne:

med_gallery_6949_802_109569.jpg

Incriminating photos from Kathy's gallery. Notice that Mrs Tawny Owl is just watching, not helping :P

Richard

MORE: Oh no, here's another one!

med_gallery_6949_802_304965.jpg

Edited by RLWP

Aaargh! The first piece of evidence emerges...

med_gallery_6949_802_211608.jpg

Look, it was my first time, OK?

Me bluffing it at the helm of Fulbourne:

med_gallery_6949_802_109569.jpg

Incriminating photos from Kathy's gallery. Notice that Mrs Tawny Owl is just watching, not helping :P

Richard

MORE: Oh no, here's another one!

med_gallery_6949_802_304965.jpg

Richard

I didn't see the "turn" - but I was impressed with the turn at the other end, at the ladder bridge after you had dropped Angel off.

Maggie