Fender hangers

The Jolly Roger

Featured Posts

Hello

The fenders fitted to my new boat attach below the gunnel and I am constantly having to lift them at narrow locks, and then they are liable to fall back in the water.If fact they probably will not last the season, looking at the lines attached to them.

I have seen a few boats moored up using a detachable contraption that looks a bit like a G clamp and hooks on to the ridge along the roof. On these you hang your fender and line. Looked at Midland's site and trawled other internet sites and can find nothing.

I have seen some that look home-made, and some more professional. If I still lived at home and had access to a garage I would fabricate one and make several copies, but that's a bit difficult on-board without power tools.

I have spoken to two boaters - one who thought they were great - the other thought they were a waste of time. Your comments please and if anybody knows where I can source them I would be obliged.

Roger.

In the rain on The Cat's Whiskers

Ellesmere - on The Llangollen

Hello

The fenders fitted to my new boat attach below the gunnel and I am constantly having to lift them at narrow locks, and then they are liable to fall back in the water.If fact they probably will not last the season, looking at the lines attached to them.

I have seen a few boats moored up using a detachable contraption that looks a bit like a G clamp and hooks on to the ridge along the roof. On these you hang your fender and line. Looked at Midland's site and trawled other internet sites and can find nothing.

I have seen some that look home-made, and some more professional. If I still lived at home and had access to a garage I would fabricate one and make several copies, but that's a bit difficult on-board without power tools.

I have spoken to two boaters - one who thought they were great - the other thought they were a waste of time. Your comments please and if anybody knows where I can source them I would be obliged.

Roger.

Midland Chandlers call them Fender Hooks, others may do too.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/CruisingHardware/Fenders/HooksEyes/AS054.aspx

No idea if they are any good but got to be better than ones tied permanently to the gunwale that are difficult to keep lifted.

I suspect people who say they are useless are using them when the boat is under way and they then get dragged along the cabin rail..... :rolleyes:

We have the same problem. No way of hanging fenders apart from below gunnels, which is frankly useless. We use fender hooks from Midland Chandlers - but the profile of the 'ridge' on our boat must be a one-off because I've had to cut the hooks down a fair bit to fit. They work OK but I'm going to get some made up that fit properly. Any idea how I can trace the profile? My best idea so far is to use coathanger wire bent to shape.

Hello

So take them off when you are on the move. You only need fenders when you are moored up!

[Ducks to avoid incoming....]

If you must use fender hooks, you can find them on Ebay.

David

We have the same problem. No way of hanging fenders apart from below gunnels, which is frankly useless. We use fender hooks from Midland Chandlers - but the profile of the 'ridge' on our boat must be a one-off because I've had to cut the hooks down a fair bit to fit. They work OK but I'm going to get some made up that fit properly. Any idea how I can trace the profile? My best idea so far is to use coathanger wire bent to shape.

You need a profile gauge like this -

41STNoplcgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They can be had for a couple of quid...

Hello

Roger.

Roger

I assume your boat has inset fender hangers just below the gunnel. If so you might find a snap shackle more convenient. Similar to those at the end of a dog lead but of much heavier duty. I bought a couple of brass ones from Stone Boatbuilding many years ago.

Alternatively a climbing carabina would work and they are cheap on eBay.

easy - - you want a profile gauge CLICKY

Hello

I have seen a few boats moored up using a detachable contraption that looks a bit like a G clamp and hooks on to the ridge along the roof.

Yes, we use these when mooring up. They are quick to deploy and you can position them where they're needed. Fixed fender eyes are never in the right place.

You dont need any side fenders when moving.

Steve

Hi

Grumpy old trditionalist I know, but I consider that hanging fenders from handrails is to create a trip hazard when walking along gunwales. They are useless under way, a potential source of jamming in narrow locks. I generally ddon't bother when mooring up (can you tell I'm not a fan?) - if I decided to put some out then I'd prefer to knock a mooring spike in and deploy them from the towpath. I carry them on Resolute but use them seldom.Never had'em in the old days!!

Cheers

Dave

I sometimes use fenders when moored, never on the move. I made a couple of plywood hooks that go over the handrail for such occasions, using me trusty jigsaw. Job done in a few mins.

My boat has those brass things below the gunnels to hang fenders from. I hate them and will one day remove and weld the holes up (will do same to mushroom vents too.)

Hi

Grumpy old trditionalist I know, but I consider that hanging fenders from handrails is to create a trip hazard when walking along gunwales. They are useless under way, a potential source of jamming in narrow locks. I generally ddon't bother when mooring up (can you tell I'm not a fan?) - if I decided to put some out then I'd prefer to knock a mooring spike in and deploy them from the towpath. I carry them on Resolute but use them seldom.Never had'em in the old days!!

Cheers

Dave

We do that with a couple of tyres sometimes.

We use some that we have had for years. Dave bought them from Norbury Wharf but I have no idea if they still do them. They are width adjustable and have a rubber liner to protect the paintwork. You can move them along the top rail according to where best to position them for your moring and what is possibly one of the best savings is that you only need two - you simply hand them on which ever side of the boat is against the bank!

They are starting to get a bit rusty now (as is the roof hence the patchwork finish you can see here!)

533277_10150905873359070_842582700_n.jpg

553584_10150905872359070_685704069_9323506_1152960228_n.jpg

We use some that we have had for years. Dave bought them from Norbury Wharf but I have no idea if they still do them. They are width adjustable and have a rubber liner to protect the paintwork. You can move them along the top rail according to where best to position them for your moring and what is possibly one of the best savings is that you only need two - you simply hand them on which ever side of the boat is against the bank!

They are starting to get a bit rusty now (as is the roof hence the patchwork finish you can see here!)

I had one of them and used it as a patern to hane a couple of non adjustable stabiles ones made up. We use them when moored to a hard side, I sleep better without the constant banging. Under way, never, that is where I get all my fenders from, rope, plastic slab and pipe. I pick them all up in the cut.

I had one of them and used it as a patern to hane a couple of non adjustable stabiles ones made up. We use them when moored to a hard side, I sleep better without the constant banging. Under way, never, that is where I get all my fenders from, rope, plastic slab and pipe. I pick them all up in the cut.

We have these, bought from Limekiln for about £6 each, much better than the wooden ones we had previously as they are close to the cabin side and don't easily get knocked off. The only problem is that if you leave them in the same place for a long time (say over winter) the foam sticks to the cabin side like buggery. :(

Hello

Roger.

You could stick a strip of Velcro around each fender with its corresponding bit stuck on the gunnel top or cabin side to stop them from deploying automatically and to stow them, just give em a little kick of encouragement to re-deploy them.

Yes, we use these when mooring up. They are quick to deploy and you can position them where they're needed. Fixed fender eyes are never in the right place.

You dont need any side fenders when moving.

Steve

We use them too. If you get them from Puffer parts they come lined with neoprene.

They work fine until you forget to lift them in a lock ...

Fender wheeze. Say you had 4 fenders 2 each side all opposite each other,well if each pair of opposites are tied to the same rope athwartships and passing through their own fairleads on each side,then tie a centre line connecting these two athwartship ropes together and back to a Jamb or cam cleat on the roof near the steerer then a pull on this one line and cleat off would lift all four fenders simultaneously to above gunnel height. Simply flick the line out of the cam-cleat to deploy them. :closedeyes:

PS If a knot is tied just inside each fenders fairlead to act as stops, all fenders will deploy at the correct height.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

We only use ours when out and about. When we are in the marina there are tyres hung against the piling which do the job adequately. We have a routine. When we tie up the fenders come out and the centre line goes indoors. Then when we untie it is a case of vice versa which means it is very unlikely we ever end up cruising with the fenders attached

Roger.

I was in the chandlers at Wrenbury today and they stock the roof rail hooks if you're headed in that direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Roger

I assume your boat has inset fender hangers just below the gunnel. If so you might find a snap shackle more convenient. Similar to those at the end of a dog lead but of much heavier duty. I bought a couple of brass ones from Stone Boatbuilding many years ago.

Alternatively a climbing carabina would work and they are cheap on eBay.

Stainless steel ones readily available at yacht type chandlers, try Norfolk Marine (at Wroxham) they have a website plus good telephone support.

Phil

Fender wheeze. Say you had 4 fenders 2 each side all opposite each other,well if each pair of opposites are tied to the same rope athwartships and passing through their own fairleads on each side,then tie a centre line connecting these two athwartship ropes together and back to a Jamb or cam cleat on the roof near the steerer then a pull on this one line and cleat off would lift all four fenders simultaneously to above gunnel height. Simply flick the line out of the cam-cleat to deploy them. :closedeyes:

PS If a knot is tied just inside each fenders fairlead to act as stops, all fenders will deploy at the correct height.

Genius! cheers.gif

As a single-hander of a big boat I'm interested, but I can see it interfering with my centre ropes. The last thing you want is a tangle of various ropes when you're on your own.

As a single-hander of a big boat I'm interested, but I can see it interfering with my centre ropes. The last thing you want is a tangle of various ropes when you're on your own.

The centre rope should lie quite comfortably on top of the fender rope without tangling or instead of the centre pull fender rope two could be used, one each side connected to the vertical fender ropes just inside the hand rails and brought together spliced into one and so to the jamb cleat. Or neater still,connect all fender ropes on each side and run separately just inside the handrails to its own cleat on each side. You can then deploy or retrieve all fenders either side separately.

Hello

Roger.

I made some rope hangers, eye splice one end and then spliced the other end of the rope to attach them to the fenders, the eye goes round the mushroom vents. I don't have a pic of the new tidy ones but here's a pic of the old ones when they were just knotted rope...works really well.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=461716573855970&set=a.461638493863778.120779.461629567198004&type=1&theater

Edited by allybsc