MY JSA SUSPENDED AGAIN

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

The latest scandal is that once more my JSA has been axed. Not good because I recently attended a job interview and applied for up to 30 other vacancies (all recorded).

Seems I wasn't the only one. Jobseekers were apparently given a letter for an appointment and many simply weren't aware so missed it. Myself I simply can't find it. I can recall two appointments I did have and filed them but this third one is a mystery.

So, off I went to C.A.B. and they advised me to make a formal complaint. This ought to be processed by the job centre but if not I kept a copy of my letter. What I don't understand is how they can close down an entire claim unless they investigate and clarify if non attendance was intentional.

I also complained of no documented information of my rights being handed over after the suspension. I saw two other people also simply sent away for non attendance and told their JSA was suspended. These people like me had no idea what was going on.

I handed in my letter to the Jobcentre in person and typed it up over an hour in very polite and legal terminology. The staff seemed concerned and seemed uneasy about taking the letter asking if there was anything they could do personally to sort it out. I kept calm and polite and left - the letter to be passed on.

Now it's a matter of how they deal with the complaint and how far I take it. It could very well go to legal representation and an independent appeal of some kind.

isn't it all a waste of public money though when they should be helping people find jobs rather than trick them with bureacratic loopholes?

I work in the Benefits section for a local Council...I've seen several occasions where a claimant has supposedly been sent a letter from JSA which hasn't been received...far too many to be simply coincidence.

Janet

The latest scandal is that once more my JSA has been axed. Not good because I recently attended a job interview and applied for up to 30 other vacancies (all recorded).

Seems I wasn't the only one. Jobseekers were apparently given a letter for an appointment and many simply weren't aware so missed it. Myself I simply can't find it. I can recall two appointments I did have and filed them but this third one is a mystery.

So, off I went to C.A.B. and they advised me to make a formal complaint. This ought to be processed by the job centre but if not I kept a copy of my letter. What I don't understand is how they can close down an entire claim unless they investigate and clarify if non attendance was intentional.

I also complained of no documented information of my rights being handed over after the suspension. I saw two other people also simply sent away for non attendance and told their JSA was suspended. These people like me had no idea what was going on.

I handed in my letter to the Jobcentre in person and typed it up over an hour in very polite and legal terminology. The staff seemed concerned and seemed uneasy about taking the letter asking if there was anything they could do personally to sort it out. I kept calm and polite and left - the letter to be passed on.

Now it's a matter of how they deal with the complaint and how far I take it. It could very well go to legal representation and an independent appeal of some kind.

isn't it all a waste of public money though when they should be helping people find jobs rather than trick them with bureacratic loopholes?

I would also ask them under the freedom of information act how many letters that are sent out our claimed not to be received and let to suspended, and also how complaints where upheld.

And see how fast there take action, because as the saying go you put the cat among the pigeons.

Edited by davidc

I'm a bit absent minded so in my letter I did state it was a probable failure on my part purely arising out of confusion. I was handed a whole load of appointments and data at the same time. I know of 2 appointments and wrote them down but no recollection of this third one. My guess is they did tell me but I misunderstood something.

However, it wsn't intentional and I have attended interviews. One demanded a cycle ride one hour there and back and I myself arranged the interview, not the job centre.

Do employees lose pay if they miss an appointment? When I worked in security we all sometimes got mixed up with shift rotas. We were told off but still paid.

I think some of these people are bullies and ought to be helping people find work instead of pouncing when opportunity strikes. And I intend to take the fight back to them all the way.

Am I right that this is not the first occasion that you have missed an interview because you 'could not find the letter'

Maybe if you took greater trouble in keeping correspondence, and reacting to it, then the Job Centre wouldn't be taking this line?

It may even be a practical suggestion that you go out of your way to double-check with all your applications whether there is an interview, so if something does 'go astray' you'll be aware of it.

I used to have appointments as a matter of course over the last 40 odd years - often 8 or 10 a day, - I never missed one, but I could understand that if I did, then the other party would be right to be miffed!

I'm a bit absent minded so in my letter I did state it was a probable failure on my part purely arising out of confusion. I was handed a whole load of appointments and data at the same time. I know of 2 appointments and wrote them down but no recollection of this third one. My guess is they did tell me but I misunderstood something.

However, it wsn't intentional and I have attended interviews. One demanded a cycle ride one hour there and back and I myself arranged the interview, not the job centre.

Do employees lose pay if they miss an appointment? When I worked in security we all sometimes got mixed up with shift rotas. We were told off but still paid.

I think some of these people are bullies and ought to be helping people find work instead of pouncing when opportunity strikes. And I intend to take the fight back to them all the way.

But do you not think it is a waste of time (and money) for the member of staff who was supposed to be interviewing you to be sat there doing nothing because you didnt attend?

I can see why you are angry that they have stopped your money but on the flip side I can see why they have done so. It is your responsibility to make sure that you understand where you are supposed to be and at what time. If you have any doubts you should ensure that they are cleared up.

I doubt you will get far with your "fight" against them as they will just come back saying that you should have made sure that you understand where you need to be and at what time.

As a move forward I would suggest that you check they have your right correspondance details so that going forward you will at least know that they are sending things to the right address.

• Greenie 1

Am I right that this is not the first occasion that you have missed an interview because you 'could not find the letter'

Maybe if you took greater trouble in keeping correspondence, and reacting to it, then the Job Centre wouldn't be taking this line?

It may even be a practical suggestion that you go out of your way to double-check with all your applications whether there is an interview, so if something does 'go astray' you'll be aware of it.

I used to have appointments as a matter of course over the last 40 odd years - often 8 or 10 a day, - I never missed one, but I could understand that if I did, then the other party would be right to be miffed!

Are you calling the OP a liar?

Strong stuff.

I've read and re-read my post - - - - -

No I didn't call him a liar.

It's obviously too subtle for you - - Let me explain - - It was "a positive suggestion"

My guess is I must have had a letter but it was probably very small and not directly pointed out. if it were me I'd say, "Look this letter is important and you must come on this different date than normal." I know I'm absent minded but today i saw two other people who were stood there clueless as to what this appointment was. One guy just stormed out and said "Stuff it!" Looked to me like a regular working guy not a layabout.

It is at least encouraging the staff looked a bit apprehensive when I came back with an official letter. They seemed slightly apologetic. Thing is now I decided no way will I back down. I think it's wrong and want the whole thing looking into.

I work in the Benefits section for a local Council...I've seen several occasions where a claimant has supposedly been sent a letter from JSA which hasn't been received...far too many to be simply coincidence.

Janet

I'm not claiming to be perfect. Knowing my absent mindedness, I got mixed up somehow. However, surely there is intention and mistake. Surely if someone couldn't be bothered to turn up that's clear cut. Otherwise mistakes do happen and this appointment was a complete change of circumstance. And many more people have made the exact same blunder.

I won't be taking a stand on being a victim. My stand is based on how these rules are interpreted.

But do you not think it is a waste of time (and money) for the member of staff who was supposed to be interviewing you to be sat there doing nothing because you didnt attend?

I can see why you are angry that they have stopped your money but on the flip side I can see why they have done so. It is your responsibility to make sure that you understand where you are supposed to be and at what time. If you have any doubts you should ensure that they are cleared up.

I doubt you will get far with your "fight" against them as they will just come back saying that you should have made sure that you understand where you need to be and at what time.

As a move forward I would suggest that you check they have your right correspondance details so that going forward you will at least know that they are sending things to the right address.

I'm not claiming to be perfect. Knowing my absent mindedness, I got mixed up somehow. However, surely there is intention and mistake. Surely if someone couldn't be bothered to turn up that's clear cut. Otherwise mistakes do happen and this appointment was a complete change of circumstance. And many more people have made the exact same blunder.

I won't be taking a stand on being a victim. My stand is based on how these rules are interpreted.

Fair play. It is your battle to have but given that this is not the first time you have missed an appointment, by mistake or not, then I wouldnt hold my breath.

Maybe better to move on.

Fair play. It is your battle to have but given that this is not the first time you have missed an appointment, by mistake or not, then I wouldnt hold my breath.

Maybe better to move on.

Phylis is right. Battling bureaucracy is a thankless task, and even if you win the reward won't be worth the effort.

I was a Controller for a bus company. If drivers missed their shifts they caused no end of problems trying to fivd sobebody else at short notice to drive their bus. Passengers were inconvenienced and the company lost credence.

They wers NOT paid.

If we don't turn up for a shift without a good reason the first time it is a written warning, the second your P45!!

Sorry F, but being absent minded is not an excuse. If you know you have that sort of problem then you have to make more effort, check everything, and then check again.

• Greenie 1

How are they expected to know if you were simply absent minded or say,to busy working on the side?

Stopping your JSA got you to react though! IMO it's free money in return for turning up once in a while for an apointment or signing on. If you didn't show up for work would you still expect to be paid whatever the reason

If you are remiss with apointments why not diarise events on a phone, PC or even a calender on the wall. It works form me.

I'm not having a go, just voicing it as I see it.

I agree with some posters here, it is up to us to take responsibility for ourselves etc., whether working or on JSA. BUT the people responsible for JSA are pulling some cunning stunts to catch people out and then be able to withdraw benefits; I know this from experience with somebody very dear to me. I think this is the sort of thing that Janet S is referring to. Another example of "Bent Britain."

We got a letter through our door this morning,

it was intended for the young lad next door, as it happens I bumped into him just after and told him, explained I would push it through his letter box later, which I did.

Not for the first time have we had next doors mail.

It happens...perhaps the OP needs to be given the benefit of the doubt, not only by the DSS but by the forum?

My guess is I must have had a letter but it was probably very small and not directly pointed out. if it were me I'd say, "Look this letter is important and you must come on this different date than normal." I know I'm absent minded but today i saw two other people who were stood there clueless as to what this appointment was. One guy just stormed out and said "Stuff it!" Looked to me like a regular working guy not a layabout.

It is at least encouraging the staff looked a bit apprehensive when I came back with an official letter. They seemed slightly apologetic. Thing is now I decided no way will I back down. I think it's wrong and want the whole thing looking into.

Quite simply, if you actually did get the letter then being absent minded or the fact that nobody told you that you had to pay particular attention to this letter really isn't an excuse.

It is a question of personal responsibility.

The public purse is handing you money whilst you look for a job. That money comes with conditions, and it is your responsibility to stick to them.

You could claim the letter arrived and effectively, they have no way of proving you received it. Just as you have no way of proving you didn't. They will likely decide on the probability that it did in fact arrive though. If they told you in person.....you'll fail a claim I imagine.

mr bargee getting another medal ready for the "manning up" person of the week.

The JSA is a nightmare, not only to claim,but to satisfy them that you are applying for work.

I was signing on on Long Eaton, I didn't use the sheet they gave me as it wasn't big enough or detailed enough for me to use as a tracker so I did my own, with reference numbers and status etc, I am applying for jobs over a wide area.

They accepted it straight away and said it was far better than what they issued.

They also let me use the jobcentre as the postal address as that is normal up there for people on boats.

Over Easter, I only applied for 5 positions, as there were few put out, and the people in jobs went on holiday.

I was informed that if I didn't apply for at least 6 on my next visit, my benefit may be stopped. I explained why I had only applied for 5 and the response was apply for anything then!!Yet the next comment was , you don't have to come in on the next session as we are on strike that day over pensions, so we will see you in 4 weeks.

I moved JCP over that period, getting to Rugby.

I went in, they gave me an appointment 2 hours later, no probs.

I was then told, as I don't have an address, I would have to sign on daily. I stated my address is my boat, and I should be able to receive your mail here on my visits.

"Not here, we have different rules!"

"SCuse me, isn't this a government organisation, and aren't the rules standard, how am I supposed to move the boat, and get here if I have to be here daily?"

"I shall go and ask my manager"

Anyhow, short term, I have used CarlTs postbox at BW Braunston Stop House, and I should be signing off in 4 weeks. :P

• Greenie 1

are you on the right forum ?

what has your personal benefits claim got to do with canals ?

your responsible for getting a job, no one else. Man up !

Green thing awarded.

are you on the right forum ?

what has your personal benefits claim got to do with canals ?

your responsible for getting a job, no one else. Man up !

This is the wrong forum to air personal grievances I suspect, it's a hard world out there. Nothing is a given you will need to make it happen .

If you can't follow the rules for JSA then you HAVE to get a job, or become self employed. BUT if you lack motivation to do JSA then self employment may not be for you.

I think that you and Tuscan may be missing Fortunatas real point, the system doesn't work, they don't have any set rules (they make their own up) and they see any route to cut benefit and they will do, whether fair or not.

I have tried to get support to set my own business up, they will not consider it until I am 6 months unemployed, and then I have to have my own money.

I have tried to get support to do courses (ie BSC cert ) and cannot get anything before 6 months is up, and then they will not pay to retrain me in any courses out of my field.

Stand back and look beyond the Governments rhetoric, they couldn't give a toss about the almost 3m unemployed, they only give a toss about whether they will still be here at the next election.