MY JSA SUSPENDED AGAIN

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

What have Vodafone done wrong (apart, obviously, from selling those nasty little mobile telephones)?

I think he is referring to the claim that both companies legitimately minimise the amount of tax (specifically Corporation Tax) they pay to the exchequer. Its an old chestnut issued forth by the anti-capitalist brigade. I for one applaud them, too much tax is paid for too little, and the companies first (and only duties) are to their customers, shareholders, and staff

Really? I believe that they are now called Chorus (why?) but that their steel is made in Britain, just as Jaguar is Indian-owned but the cars are still made in the Midlands.

Definitely Tata now,

http://www.uk.tata.com/businesses/materials/inside.aspx?sectid=ZACX2FP1m5c=

They have a plant about 2 miles from where I'm sitting. (Formerly BSC Skinningrove then Corus)

I think he is referring to the claim that both companies legitimately minimise the amount of tax (specifically Corporation Tax) they pay to the exchequer. Its an old chestnut issued forth by the anti-capitalist brigade. I for one applaud them, too much tax is paid for too little, and the companies first (and only duties) are to their customers, shareholders, and staff

Surely not the "old chesnut" old chestnut?

Rapidly approaching my one thousandth forum contribution after 6 years hard laborious graft sweating at times over my keyboard and having read through all of this topic I am seriously considering whether to (a) slash my wrists (b)hang myself or just to make sure © DO BOTH!! Hasn't anyone on the forum got a positive opinion to put forward that provides a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!! ??????? Or is the forum membership completely taken up by moaning barstewards :banghead:

Rapidly approaching my one thousandth forum contribution after 6 years hard laborious graft sweating at times over my keyboard and having read through all of this topic I am seriously considering whether to (a) slash my wrists (b)hang myself or just to make sure © DO BOTH!! Hasn't anyone on the forum got a positive opinion to put forward that provides a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!! ??????? Or is the forum membership completely taken up by moaning barstewards :banghead:

congrats on post 999 and your point is a valid one.

When does "being positive" become "wearing rose coloured spectacles?" Genuine question ;)

Corus Steel is now TaTa Steel

The last complete car built in the UK, other than Morgan, is the Black Cab, built in Coventry, although that uses anothers engine.

interesting one I saw in Bloxwich recently; a factory making the alloy bumper internals for Volvo!

A friend of mine has a company that sells DVD cases to the hire shops. Up until 18 months ago he was having these moulded and constructed in China, however he is now having them moulded in Walsall. Yes they are more expensive per unit, BUT his wastage rate has dropped by half, as the standards here are better, so overall the UK is cheaper, plus they can react quicker to alterations in his requirements.

We've recently bought furniture, made in the UK with UK wood,and 3 duvets filled with UK Sheep's wool, so UK stuff is available.

Mind you I did buy a Czech car.

There are some, Mike, who would construe your post as "moaning" also. If you do not like the thread's meanderings, which some of us find interesting, you are not obliged to continue reading it.

Martin, thanks for that info; I have seen a Corus lorry on the road in the last couple of weeks, so they evidently still exist.

I have seen a Corus lorry on the road in the last couple of weeks, so they evidently still exist.

They exist, owned by Tata, just as Rover still exists as a Chinese company.

Black cabs are predominantly built in Shanghai, these days, btw, though parts are shipped to Coventry for a few to be assembled here.

There are some, Mike, who would construe your post as "moaning" also. If you do not like the thread's meanderings, which some of us find interesting, you are not obliged to continue reading it.

Martin, thanks for that info; I have seen a Corus lorry on the road in the last couple of weeks, so they evidently still exist.

We have a Corus plant down the road that still flies the Corus flag. Just because they are owned by Tata nowadays doesnt mean they will be rebranded.

Much the same as car companies who all seem to own each other but keep their seperate brands.

Really? I believe that they are now called Chorus (why?) but that their steel is made in Britain, just as Jaguar is Indian-owned but the cars are still made in the Midlands.

Also made on Merseyside

and the companies first (and only duties) are to their customers, shareholders, and staff

Delete staff, they are just a commodity and count for nothing with most large companies

Who said anything about continual growth.

We are a depressed economy, with high unemployment and no manufacturing base.

Just some growth would be a good thing at the moment.

Why can't we adjust down our expectations as a nation and live altogether more realistically ?

Many of us are doing that because we have had our income cut, some are doing it because they can, but too many still think that they are entitled to ever increasing standards of living.

.... and the companies first (and only duties) are to their customers, shareholders, and staff

Companies are only responsible to their shareholders, any other responsibilities are pretty incidental

Why can't we adjust down our expectations as a nation and live altogether more realistically ?

Because those at the top have no intention of doing this.

If you are advocating a redistribution of wealth then I concur absolutely but as long as the rich are getting richer and the poor (and not so poor, these days) are getting poorer then we cannot hope to achieve the balance you want.

Guest wanted

We all know that words like old chestnut and brigade are used as a way of belittling an opinion, usually by the right wing I have noticed. However I am not necessarily anti anything, I pay my tax fair and square, I don't believe that the likes of vodafone do. When all around us is crumbling I also find it pretty low to blame the person struggling the most. Big cooperation are the real rulers of this green and pleasant land. I for one would like to see them held to account.

And why should they?

We dont live in an equal society and never have.

They should because I believe we should strive to live in a fairer, more equal society.

You believe they shouldn't because you are happy to accept the disparity.

• Greenie 1

We all know that words like old chestnut and brigade are used as a way of belittling an opinion, usually by the right wing I have noticed. However I am not necessarily anti anything, I pay my tax fair and square, I don't believe that the likes of vodafone do. When all around us is crumbling I also find it pretty low to blame the person struggling the most. Big cooperation are the real rulers of this green and pleasant land. I for one would like to see them held to account.

Given the chance would you pay less tax if you could get away with it?

Guest wanted

Given the chance would you pay less tax if you could get away with it?

Carl has said pretty much what I think. I object to paying tax to greedy banker bonuses and illegal wars but if I could guarantee that my tax was being spent to help those people on the ground that are less fortunate than me then I would happily pay more. As it is I donate my time to direct help groups so I can be sure that the recipient is genuine.

Because those at the top have no intention of doing this.

If you are advocating a redistribution of wealth then I concur absolutely but as long as the rich are getting richer and the poor (and not so poor, these days) are getting poorer then we cannot hope to achieve the balance you want.

It has to come from the bottom not from the top - the few mega rich people at the top aren't important. If they want to go on as if there is no tomorrow that is their business but the ordinary / real people are the ones that are driving the problem.

In the greater scheme of things the very few that are mega rich don't drive the economy, its the ones at the bottom of the pyramid that really determine what happens.

Why do you think the big companies spend so much on advertising? They manipulate the masses to expect ever increasing amounts of shiny new stuff.

When was the last time you heard of someone taking a TV to get it fixed? Why spend money fixing something when you are flash the plastic and get a new 50" HD screen you can talk to rather than look for a remote control

Resole a pair of shoes? Its cheaper to buy a new pair

Buy fresh vegetables and make a meal? When you can get an M&S meal for 2 for less than a tenner

We have been sold a fantasy never mind a dream

A couple of days ago I saw a post on another site that spoke about narrowing the gap between rich and poor and how it was an admirable objective .... then the author asked if it could be done just by removing 25% of the rich people's assets and destroying them whether people would be prepared to do that ! I guess it would depend on whether the people destroying the assets thought you were rich or not

• Greenie 1

By occasionally peering over the top of your daily express?

Not once have I picked up a Daily Express :P

I don't...I wasn't aware I had to.

"If any increase was ring fenced to help those more vulnerable than myself I would happily pay more tax."

So how do you ring fence something that you dont classify?