MY JSA SUSPENDED AGAIN

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

'Man' (& woman - for the sake of political correctness) is the most self centred, greedy, and fundamentally lazy animal on the planet

:smiley_offtopic:

I must disagree, I think you will find that humans are the only really industrious animal on the planet.

I grew up thinking that Kodak were British but apparently they are an American company.

One can be forgiven for mistaking them for being British.

After all they went bankrupt by inventing something then sitting back on their laurels while the Far East perfected it...usually a British business model.

The Roberts is a beautifully made britsh wooden box full of foreign components.

At what point can we class something as British then ? If the wooden box is teak does that make the box less British?

At what point can we class something as British then ? If the wooden box is teak does that make the box less British?

Good point. I'll just check...

Well my older Roberts are made of ply, usually imported, whereas my modern one is made of (horror of horrors) mdf.

I retract my earlier "beautifully made british wooden box" statement...It's MDF crap.

The Roberts is a beautifully made britsh wooden box full of foreign components.

And that is how the global economy works. Assembled in Britain would be a more accurate description.

As China and other countries gradually take over the world's manufacturing, and as their own people eventually want a slice of the cake (why shouldn't they?) we will find ourselves assembling more and more goods from these countries on our shores. WE will be the cheap labour. A chastening thought.

And that is how the global economy works. Assembled in Britain would be a more accurate description.

As China and other countries gradually take over the world's manufacturing, and as their own people eventually want a slice of the cake (why shouldn't they?) we will find ourselves assembling more and more goods from these countries on our shores. WE will be the cheap labour. A chastening thought.

But if the final assembley is where the most added value is then maybe that won't be a bad thing.

But if the final assembley is where the most added value is then maybe that won't be a bad thing.

Funny how exporting our components to be assembled abroad was "a good thing" and now importing foreign goods to be assembled here is also "a good thing".

Never mind self-esteem or British quality, as long as someone is getting rich.

Funny how exporting our components to be assembled abroad was "a good thing" and now importing foreign goods to be assembled here is also "a good thing".

Now we're cooking with gas.

So long as someone is working one way or another - producing components or assembling them - isn't that good?

If that is the limit of the Nation's aspirations then it is great....Mission accomplished!

I wouldn't say that it is the limit of our aspirations but at the moment we don't have a component manufacturing base (and probably never did for the type of component that is needed these days); but I believe we are very influential at the design stage for many products with our designers and engineers doing a good job; so if we are working the two ends of the process surely over time it should be possible to expand into the middle as well

having read through 4 pages of varying degrees of kicking someone whilst they are down to being helpful it would be time to address the real issue here!

FACT Jobcenters are deliberately sanctioning people wether they are actively seeking employment or not.

FACT there are too many people in this country for the employment available

FACT the government and ALL previous have manipulated the unemployment figures by forcing people off the UB40/JSA or dole in any other name on to other non calculated benefits.

FACT jobcenters DO NOTHING about lazy, illiterate teenagers who clearly have no intention of ever working.

the last i see every day in my stepson's lazy cow of a girlfriend, never worked in her life, pisses up here money every other tuesday before spending the rest of the fortnight spunging off everyone in her family and friends. sadly he is now going the same way as a result of being with her!

whilst i know he is a dopey sod at the best of times, he does at least try and has had 2 jobs since leaving college, leaving the first to hopefully improve his lot by taking the 2nd, who after 8 weeks said "thanks but today is your last day" the reason he struggles is he won't intergrate with others, something we keep on trying to instill in him, that he needs to be a team member not a loner

as for sending out letters the jobcenter needs to find a more suitable method as postal services are by far and large unreliable we get at least 1 misdelivered letter a week and I know for fact that a lot of our mail is delivered elsewhere as some neighbours bring it round i'm sure there are plenty that don't!

also none of us are perfect as i well know, only yesterday whilst sorting out my endowment policy (which i am cashing in) i found it was still registered at a previous address and apparently has life assurance attached something i did not realise.

being self employed myself, i know how hard i have to work to keep my business afloat, often working at short and/or unsocialable hours just to keep the work coming in, more often than not i am earning less than minimum wage for jobs by the time estimating, traveling time and costs and constant material costs escalating have been taken out of the job price.

OP fight them all the way and demand that they assist you in finding a job as clearly your own efforts are clearly not enough to secure one in their eyes. the are obliged to help you secure a training position at least after a conciderable time unemployed. I did a work placement at Clubline in Coventry through Jobcenter back in the 80's being offered a job there after 6 months.

take seasonal work when its available it often leads into a full time position (i went to Foxton Boats as seasonal and was offered a full time job at the end) and even if it doesn't it shows your willingness to take what is available. if you have a family then apply for working tax credits to top up wages if you take a low paid job.

good luck whatever you do.

kev

Edited by hamsterfan

so if we are working the two ends of the process surely over time it should be possible to expand into the middle as well

You're talking as if this were a starting point.

We were at that stage and we pissed it up the wall. This isn't a world where playing catch up is a good thing.

After successive monetarist governments have sold off the country's silver (and gold, in Bliar's case) we have nothing left to kick start our economy.

Monetarism is not concerned with growth, merely balancing the books, and cannot see that the books won't be balanced by cuts. They will be balanced by growth and investment.

This country has become a privatised economy with a nationalised workforce. Benefits subsidise poor pay so that the rich can carry on getting richer.

Good point. I'll just check...

Well my older Roberts are made of ply, usually imported, whereas my modern one is made of (horror of horrors) mdf.

I retract my earlier "beautifully made british wooden box" statement...It's MDF crap.

Worse both the cases of the Roberts DAB radios I have (One at home and one on t'boat) are made of plastic.... :(

You're talking as if this were a starting point.

We were at that stage and we pissed it up the wall. This isn't a world where playing catch up is a good thing.

After successive monetarist governments have sold off the country's silver (and gold, in Bliar's case) we have nothing left to kick start our economy.

Monetarism is not concerned with growth, merely balancing the books, and cannot see that the books won't be balanced by cuts. They will be balanced by growth and investment.

This country has become a privatised economy with a nationalised workforce. Benefits subsidise poor pay so that the rich can carry on getting richer.

I don't understand why growth has to be a good thing? The more I downsize the happier I am.

But seriously, what is the point of continual growth as if it is the only thing that is going to make the world a better place??????

Worse both the cases of the Roberts DAB radios I have (One at home and one on t'boat) are made of plastic.... :(

Yes, they have made some models with plastic cases for ten years or so (possibly abroad, don't know), but have also continued making the "proper" ones. The latter have a very retro look these days, but an electrical retailer to whom I spoke recently told me that there was a good market for them.

I was wondering how much of a narrowboat was made in Britain - I know that they have been made in small numbers in Poland and in China but surely they're an essentially British product? Then it occurred to me that a modern n/b has an engine made in Japan, or even Korea. I assume that the steel is British, and the wood used for fitting-out, but what about the ropes, the white goods, the propellor....how much of this archetypically British craft is made within these shores?

Yes, they have made some models with plastic cases for ten years or so (possibly abroad, don't know), but have also continued making the "proper" ones. The latter have a very retro look these days, but an electrical retailer to whom I spoke recently told me that there was a good market for them.

I was wondering how much of a narrowboat was made in Britain - I know that they have been made in small numbers in Poland and in China but surely they're an essentially British product? Then it occurred to me that a modern n/b has an engine made in Japan, or even Korea. I assume that the steel is British, and the wood used for fitting-out, but what about the ropes, the white goods, the propellor....how much of this archetypically British craft is made within these shores?

In our case -

I think our Mastervolt Combi inverter (possibly one of the most expensive single items on it) is Dutch, the engine is Isuzu, so ?? Japanese/Korean certainly far east, not sure about the galley kit at all though I doubt even if they are branded with 'UK' names they actually are.

The domestic battery bank is almost certainly not of UK origin nor the starter battery, and the domestic alternator certainly has a far eastern sounding name which escapes me now.

The shell is Colecraft so a big bit of it was made in the UK but I do not know where they source their steel, or rather where they did in 2006 and of course it was fitted out in the UK, so I would say your average 'modern' NB is a mixed bag...

Really? I believe that they are now called Chorus (why?) but that their steel is made in Britain, just as Jaguar is Indian-owned but the cars are still made in the Midlands.

Guest wanted

At what point do we stop paying for the mistakes of others?

When you stop seeing people as real and treat them as statistics?

The powers that be have done a very good job at making us resent helping each other. Personally my dislike is aimed at the likes of Barclays and Vodafone, if they were made to pay what they owe then maybe some of this mess could be avoided.

It's very easy,nay lazy to blame the person in the street. But please don't ever not believe that you are but a mere stones throw away from being in the same position.

Edited by wanted
  • Greenie 1

But seriously, what is the point of continual growth as if it is the only thing that is going to make the world a better place??????

Who said anything about continual growth.

We are a depressed economy, with high unemployment and no manufacturing base.

Just some growth would be a good thing at the moment.

What have Vodafone done wrong (apart, obviously, from selling those nasty little mobile telephones)?

Dodging billions of UK tax?