MAFFI

Allan

Featured Posts

Maffi is a lovely chap, which just shows you can't tell without meeting someone.

I think that's probably true of lots of us on here. Severel people rub me up the wrong way on line, but I am sure that I would think differently if I met them. Some people I have met and like still rub me up the wrong way with their postings.

• Greenie 1

I think the difference is that we've met Maffi, so we just mark any ranting down to 'grumpyboaterism' don't know the other blogger IRL. Bias? Probably. Human nature isn't it?

I have met him too and he is charming in person; it is only the blog I can't stand.

Maffi is a lovely chap, which just shows you can't tell without meeting someone.

He is indeed a lovely chap, but he has a horrid blog. I would happily meet him again, but I would rather not read his blog. You can't judge a person by their blog, but you can judge a blog on its own merits.

• Greenie 2

To paraphrase his sub heading on his blog:

This blog has no more importance than the writing on the toilet door

I do tend to agree with most of his rants, just would not be so forthright.

A few of those that reply do tend to be of 'the cap fits' so I will have my own rant.

To paraphrase his sub heading on his blog:

This blog has no more importance than the writing on the toilet door

I do tend to agree with most of his rants, just would not be so forthright.

A few of those that reply do tend to be of 'the cap fits' so I will have my own rant.

It's out there (or at least it was) like any blog, for those who want to read it. Just as with newspapers, books, TV programmes - something there for every taste. If you don't like it there are plenty of others to choose from, is my view.

Quite a lot of people do read Maffi's blog though, so while he can be as forthright as he likes in his opinions, he had better be careful to be accurate in claims he makes about named individuals (no matter how irritating they are).

Quite a lot of people do read Maffi's blog though, so while he can be as forthright as he likes in his opinions, he had better be careful to be accurate in claims he makes about named individuals (no matter how irritating they are).

I don't agree with naming and picturing individuals, either. It doesn't matter how irritating I think they are, I wouldn't do it out of respect for my fellow human being. It's also the same reason I don't plaster my photo all over the internet, you cannot be sure who is going to take a dislike to you and speaking as a woman I'd rather be safe from any extra risk, thanks.

Maybe it's time for a deletion, it seems to be cached everywhere on this blogroll and that blogroll.

I personally think that blogging and email result in the same behaviour for lots of people. When in a face to face situation, *most* of us have social filters that stop us from being so critical or nasty in our communication.

When we are behind a keyboard those filters seem to fade away.

Very sad as we are all people who have struggle's in different aspects of our lives and it would be much better if we could all treat each other in the way we expect to be treated by others.

I find it hard to believe maffi pulled his blog because of the huffs comments, I read both at the time, and unless maffi added more to his, I can't see any reason for his blog being pulled. It was a silly spat caused in my opinion by the other blogger who seems to know everything about the canal system from travelling to and from the dump out. Maffi speaks his mind, and I'm my opinion, this country could do with a few more like him. He does not hide behind his views, he speaks them, just as he is entitled to. As others have said on this thread, you don't have to read, your as free to read it or not, just as he is free to write it or not.

• Greenie 2

When I've got my Vodafone sim in the dongle, it won't let me access it - content control - not for under 18's it says. Which I find amusing.

I've never met Maffi, but online he does seem to whinge a tad and also to speak his mind. Val would say that on-marriage I whinge a tad and speak my mind as well though

Orange won't let me get on canal world, because it has the letters A, A, N and L in a given order.

Val's work email spat out an email I sent to her (among others) because I had said "someone has filled the canal in with HARDCORE"

Google once rejected a request for images of "Guillotine Locks" as it appears to be an all female wrestling position as well as a vertical gate on a navigation structure [sigh]

In a nutshell, I've given up with anything other than 3 mobile and virgin, using a laptop, and me in control of the settings.

I too have been fortunate enough to meet many people who I have come to know previously via this forum and generally you do have a good idea of what type of person you are likely to be meeting before you do so. I wonder if I am really fortunate to find that almost everyone I have met turns out to be really nice? There is one forum member who I have met and found to be a thoroughly pleasant person but, many of the posts I read of theirs on the forum make me want to cringe and when speaking about said person to another forum member at a banter they refered to them in a single word term which I can't put on here but I had to agree that based on that persons postings I could have suggested the same word........ and yet I look forward to the time we can meet that person again!

Thankfully I tend to rub along with most people and it is very rarely I find there are people I really dislike. I can't help wondering though, if there are people out there who have taken a dislike to someone based on their perception of them through things they have written on a blog or a forum how does one overcome that situation and become friends in "the real world" or is that person forever tarred and destined to ring a bell and yell "unclean" whenever in the vicinity of the person who dislikes them. It is not a problem I encounter very often but how does someone get past that or do their posts actually lead to them being more isolated than they really need to be?

I also agree that the person can be very different from the blogger - we have passed a very pleasant evening or two with him, and I'm sure if you were a fellow boater in need of help, he would be there for anybody, (probably even a marina dweller! :lol:)

That said, (without going searching for it again), I did see some of the rant, and actually felt that the way it was done did very little to further his argument - or at least that it was unlikely to convince anyone to change their views on the topics being discussed.

Other's have also objected to the nonsense that was in the original letter to a magazine that seems to have kicked the whole episode off, without any of the need for the language used by Maffi. I don't actually have a problem with the language, but others actually seem to have made their point far better, in a calm fashion, without any of that, and I suspect at the end of the day those who have done that are more likely to changed entrenched opinions than Maffi's rant. Perhaps he just needed to let of steam, and doesn't actually care what anyone who happened to read it actually thought, though ?

However, in my view, we are better off trying to demolish stupid prejudices by careful reasoned argument, than by just railing against those that have expressed them.

I know Maffi very well and hes a realy nice bloke, but you do have to meet him to understand that. But still life is far too short for Bloggs.....I dont read anybodies.

Tim

• Greenie 1

But still life is far too short for Bloggs.....I dont read anybodies.

That is your choice, of course, but I do think that views tend to be expressed with more candour on blogs. Equally, subjects considered too contentious for some forums (or simply not worth the hassle of any resulting flak), get a chance to be broached.

It's up to you, the reader, what you do with that information.

I read fit-out blogs, mainly because I'm currently fitting out and also because I like a good nosey at other peoples boats.

Yeah, I read fit-out blogs too.

But, as I don't have a boat, it must be sheer nosiness on my part. :)

Thanks to the many who have enquired about my blog both here and by email.

There are issues with it but not related to other bloggers. As soon as I have the time to fix the problem it will be back online, however I am very busy working and oddly for this time of the year partying and I really dont have the time just now to fix it. It will be back just as soon as I find a window to get it sorted.

Regards Maffi

• Greenie 1

Thanks to the many who have enquired about my blog both here and by email.

There are issues with it but not related to other bloggers. As soon as I have the time to fix the problem it will be back online, however I am very busy working and oddly for this time of the year partying and I really dont have the time just now to fix it. It will be back just as soon as I find a window to get it sorted.

Regards Maffi

Just don't leave it to long as I miss it.

Maffi is a really decent bloke - kind and friendly. His blog isn't an accurate reflection on him because he mostly uses it to vent and rant when something upsets him so he ends up coming across really negatively.