MAFFI

Allan

Featured Posts

Glad you are back posting Maffi. I enjoy your blog (if that means I am a grumpy b*gger as well, so be it)

I have always found it thought provoking even if I dont agree with you!

:cheers:

Edited by Kiwidad

• 2 weeks later...

Without commenting on anyone's actual blog, I often wonder whether the difference between how people seem on a blog/forum and then in real life is in some way to do with how little we write these days? No longer living in a world of constant letter writing to other real people who will respond or come & talk to you if the letter is not nice, we are not used to expressing personal ideas or feelings in writing to others. When I write comments, I am often worried afterwards that what I wrote was not as clear as it should have been & that being read by strangers who dont know me & the way I think or express myself may consider it rude or snobbish or something... While most people say they write their blogs for themselves, they still make it online & public, so other people may read it (yes, at their own risk). But people get het up & hurt by all sorts of things that others cannot see or understand, and reading someone's writing, especially if that person treats it as for themselves, if not precisely personal, can be less clear than if you talked to them.

I'll go away & worry about this now.

Without commenting on anyone's actual blog, I often wonder whether the difference between how people seem on a blog/forum and then in real life is in some way to do with how little we write these days?

Surely we write loads more than when our only medium was pen and paper?

Or doesn't a keyboard count?

Surely we write loads more than when our only medium was pen and paper?

Or doesn't a keyboard count?

Carl, we may well write more now than in the past. However this medium allows quick, if sometimes not well thought out, replies. In the old days quality ruled?..

Carl, we may well write more now than in the past. However this medium allows quick, if sometimes not well thought out, replies. In the old days quality ruled?..

I disagree.

The ability to read back and edit instantly, rather than spoil the appearance of a handwritten document with crossings out and tipp-ex, means that we can actually spend more time thinking about and amending our compositions.

Once that long-hand letter is sealed and posted there's no going back, unlike musings posted on the internet.

Edited to add: See what I mean?

Edited by carlt