The Lynx

Tiggers

Featured Posts

Just noticed in the new Towpath mag there is an ad saying that The Lynx will be going up for sale in 2013. No Dawn, you dont need another boat....

Edited by Tiggers

Yes, this is THE Lynx, and she is an absolute beuty

Hello, I am puzzled as to why "THE" identifies the Josher as opposed to the ex GUCCC boat?

In my experience every working boat tended to carry the prefix "The" and then its name.

Guess I've been getting it wrong all these years. :unsure:

perhaps it is because the other one has been cut up a bit.Interesting that just 10 foot of historic boat was thought worthy of being used as the bows of a new boat.I applord the recycling of it and always gives the opportunity to reunite the 2 bits.

perhaps it is because the other one has been cut up a bit.Interesting that just 10 foot of historic boat was thought worthy of being used as the bows of a new boat.I applord the recycling of it and always gives the opportunity to reunite the 2 bits.

That is the third LYNX, originally renamed LYNX END when built in 1978, which does indeed use the original stern of the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. Small Northwich butty LYNX as its fore end. This was quite a common practice back then when a butty stern was cut off and became redundant.

That is the third LYNX, originally renamed LYNX END when built in 1978, which does indeed use the original stern of the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. Small Northwich butty LYNX as its fore end. This was quite a common practice back then when a butty stern was cut off and became redundant.

Iknow it was done with 'Grange' when it was converted to a motor. The stern end became 'Grange End'.

Hello, I am puzzled as to why "THE" identifies the Josher as opposed to the ex GUCCC boat?

In my experience every working boat tended to carry the prefix "The" and then its name.

No you haven't.

I had "the" Lynx (the GU one) before selling her to David Daines in about '81. She'd been owned by a friend of mine before we did a deal involving a modern tug, several gallons of Pedigree in The Bridge at Audlem and some money. Although she'd had an extension cabin put on by Ted at Norbury, and her counter was too tall, Lynx was a little cracker. Her HR2 and blade were a perfect match, and with her draft at about 2'3", she used to fly. I bet "THE" Lynx, Keith's old boat, wouldn't touch her! Gimme a Grand Union over one of those 'eavy arsed buggers anyday.

And I for one am glad of the practice, I got a beautiful BCN tug because of it! (although it was the stern end used for the bow Canis Major)

I bet 'The' Lynx is fairly heavy, hasnt she got a steamer counter on her? Certainly looks sizeable

Edited by Tiggers

The Chertsey? The Bath? The Edgware?

Sounds wrong when compared to, say, The Ibex, or The Ling.

Iknow it was done with 'Grange' when it was converted to a motor. The stern end became 'Grange End'.

But when Achilles was cut in two at Braunston a couple of years ago I suggested that the new boat being built from the stern end should be named 'Achilles Heel'.

"The" - there's no puzzle, it's an individuals quirk of speech. Big ships often got called 'The' as in the QUEEN MARY, the WAVERLEY and so forth, though if H.M.S. or R.M.S. were to be placed in front of the name, 'The', might well be dispensed with.

Now if it had been stated as 'the FMC LYNX' it would have made perfect sense, as it defines which LYNX is being spoken of. But to speak of a narrow boat as 'the' NAME, gets a bit of a raised eyebrow. Though some boats do have names which it seems to suit, such as the HEATHER BELLE. Perhaps it's all down to how 'famous' one thinks a particular vessel may be.

There's a similar quirk regarding the use of the definite article in street names. A londoner will refer to "Bond Street" but will say "THE Edgware Road". I asume that the article is used when a raod leads to the destination of its name, so Edgware Road goes to Edgware but Bond Street doesn't go to Bond.

How, in that case, does one explain "Oxford Street"? I suppose that it gets to Oxford eventually but it's never called THE Oxford Street.

The Chertsey? The Bath? The Edgware?

Sounds wrong when compared to, say, The Ibex, or The Ling.

Edgeware, please! Let's get our misspellings right.

That is indeed how I have heard them referred to by, e.g. Ron Withey.