Water voles

dor

Featured Posts

Really pleased to see a water vole pop up onto the bank just south of Henhull near Nantwich at the weekend. This is only the second one I've seen in the canal in 20+ years of boating (the other time was near Barbridge about 8 years ago).

I can remember them being quite common when I was a lad, but they seem quite rare today. Mink predation allegedly being one reason.

We think we saw one down the foss couple of weeks ago , very cute ! Bloody ALF can be blamed for the mink infestation ,didnt seem to care about our native wildlife when they let them out !!

yes 10 out of ten for caring about animals minus 2000 for there actions :banghead: the introduction of foreign animals into the various countries has seldom been to the advantage to native species.

Really pleased to see a water vole pop up onto the bank just south of Henhull near Nantwich at the weekend. This is only the second one I've seen in the canal in 20+ years of boating (the other time was near Barbridge about 8 years ago).

I can remember them being quite common when I was a lad, but they seem quite rare today. Mink predation allegedly being one reason.

If you want to see them you have a very good chance on the Ashby. You dont get mink as its not near any convenient river - AIUI mink have spread by following the rivers.

Although these are officially very rare creatures they are relatively abundant on the K&A, and will sometimes even swim along next to a moving boat. However they rapidly hide whenever they spot a camera.

I feel that there are fewer mink on the canal this year which is a very good thing. I know a few people have been trying to trap them.

Whenever we go along a pound with no sign of wildlife at all, not even mallards, then its a good indication that there is a local mink.

..........Dave

For generations, canal maintenance men would have killed any water voles because of the damage they did to canal banks. Even the Min of Agriculture published leaflets on how to kill them. Their invasion of the canal system has come about because of the destruction of their natural environment around ponds and rivers. Although a case can probably be put forward for their conservation on canals, the idea of using them as an icon of canals seems daft. Why promote something as an important part of canals which actively damages canal banks and adds to the cost of maintenance?

Come to the G&S if you want to see some, immediately south of Patch Bridge on the west bank. The bank there is riddled with vole oles, you can understand why they could be unpopular. We were moored there last summer & there were half a dozen popping in & out of their vole oles looking at me looking at them. Later there were notices not to moor there because of them, no problem, theres plenty of room further back from the bridge.

Steve

If you want to see them you have a very good chance on the Ashby. You dont get mink as its not near any convenient river - AIUI mink have spread by following the rivers.

I haven't heard that theory before.

Although these are officially very rare creatures they are relatively abundant on the K&A, and will sometimes even swim along next to a moving boat. However they rapidly hide whenever they spot a camera.

I feel that there are fewer mink on the canal this year which is a very good thing. I know a few people have been trying to trap them.

Whenever we go along a pound with no sign of wildlife at all, not even mallards, then its a good indication that there is a local mink.

..........Dave

Yes, I used to see them all the time when I captained the Trust Trip Boat at Bradford on Avon, we also saw them regularly in the dry dock. The Water Vole is a comparatively elusive creature so the lack of sightings does not neccessarily indicate low population levels. I hardly ever see Kingfishers or Herons, but I am not aware of them being listed as endangered.

Went up the Ashby last year and adhoc vole count by SWMBO reached 30+ in five days or so. Also a grass snake (?) swam along side us for 100 yards or so about a mile before the current terminus. Hard to convince her it was not necessary to bung all exterior holes up before bed time :wacko:

The Water Vole is a comparatively elusive creature so the lack of sightings does not neccessarily indicate low population levels. I hardly ever see Kingfishers or Herons, but I am not aware of them being listed as endangered.

35 years ago in Hampshire, when I were just a nipper, I used to fish a lake with a fair few voles in residence - especially near my usual swim - but you were always more likely to hear them rustling around in the reeds, than to actually see them.

My brother & I called them "water rats", but they're far too cute for that tag. :)

Yes, I used to see them all the time when I captained the Trust Trip Boat at Bradford on Avon, we also saw them regularly in the dry dock. The Water Vole is a comparatively elusive creature so the lack of sightings does not neccessarily indicate low population levels. I hardly ever see Kingfishers or Herons, but I am not aware of them being listed as endangered.

You can have some of our resident marina Herons if you want some. They make a bloody awful racket when they are scrapping though :rolleyes:

Good to hear people are seeing a fair few of these in some areas. I have only ever actually seen one, and tracks of others around the Nene. We are trying to encourage them on the estate where I work, however we have a mink problem so we are floating mink rafts to catch and then off the buggers.

As for damage to the canal bank... I'm pretty sure there are possible methods to protect the banks, whilst still encouraging water voles. I work with a 'water vole expert' who also has a NB, and she doesn't see a problem with them, but she is biased! There are many projects to increase their numbers as they are BAP (biodiversity action plan) species.

We think we saw one down the foss couple of weeks ago , very cute ! Bloody ALF can be blamed for the mink infestation ,didnt seem to care about our native wildlife when they let them out !!

Far too simplistic I'm afraid. A lot simply set free by farmers when they were no longer profitable.

Bloody ALF can be blamed for the mink infestation ,didnt seem to care about our native wildlife when they let them out !!

More mink were released by farmers when it was made illegal than were ever "liberated" by the ALF (though I certainly don't condone their actions).

You can have some of our resident marina Herons if you want some. They make a bloody awful racket when they are scrapping though :rolleyes:

You'd be short tempered if swallows were dropping pink poo on you.

What a coincidence. Just saw one yesterday on the Erewash canal.

I was walking the dog towards Stensons lock 71 when I saw something swimming across towards me. I stopped by the lock landing and watches as the vole popped out of the water and along the rail bolted to the side of the concrete. It got so far then saw me and dropped back in the water, it was great to see it.