FenderMan

bargeeboy

Featured Posts

I bought a set of fenders last week from Fenderman at Apple Tree the lock above Cropredy. I took the button back today as not being fit for purpose ! He told me to bog off and said he did.not make them.

Does anybody know Eric Johns who makes them in Wales ?

They had a distinct shortage of solid stuffing material and were.mishaped.

I bought a set of fenders last week from Fenderman at Apple Tree the lock above Cropredy. I took the button back today as not being fit for purpose ! He told me to bog off and said he did.not make them.

sale of goods act, he sells em, they are his responsibility to sort out

I bought a stern fender from him. It was cr*p until it had bent and compressed enough that the rudder now protects it from any impact. It took only a few months to get to that state. I'm buying a proper one from Tradline shortly, the old stern fender will become my "standby" bow fender.

go back to him and remind him 1/of the sales of goods act and 2/ of the power of the internet and the number and buying power of members of this forum. ;)

This chap Malcolm? http://www.fendermakerltd.co.uk/index.htm

Glad you said as I was thinking of trying a set of these for Tycho.

Edit to add - when is this years Alvecote Gathering?

Edited by Speedwheel

Team Tawny and I are sitting on Cobbett protected fore and aft by fenders made by Joe Hollingsworth and protected on the sides by Brian's excellent work. I can put you in touch with Joe and warmly recommend both Joe and Brian to you all.

PS either will teach you how to make your own for a very small fee ....

Edited by wrigglefingers

I bought a stern fender from him. It was cr*p until it had bent and compressed enough that the rudder now protects it from any impact. It took only a few months to get to that state. I'm buying a proper one from Tradline shortly, the old stern fender will become my "standby" bow fender.

You may not be able to get any from Tradline. We ordered some in October, and due to a series of misfortunes at Tradline, they're not yet ready. When I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago they said they're way behind on the orders and have stopped taking any more, so there are unlikely to be any for sale off the shelf.

Team Tawny and I are sitting on Cobbett protected fore and aft by fenders made by Joe Hollingsworth and protected on the sides by Brian's excellent work. I can put you in touch with Joe and warmly recommend both Joe and Brian to you all.

PS either will teach you how to make your own for a very small fee ....

Or even Joe Hollingshead. ;) I had two sets from him a couple of months ago - excellent as aways. Think I will be taking a trip down to see him one night this week.

ETA having been on one of Brians fender courses I can definately recommend it - great fun and stuff you have made to take home and use (if you go to the Audlum Mill course the food is very good too!)

ETA again - can't get the words out correctly or in the right order tonight. :banghead:

Edited by Speedwheel

Or even Joe Hollingshead. ;) I had two sets from him a couple of months ago - excellent as aways. Think I will be taking a trip down to see him one night this week.

Joe is quite often aways! A man of many thoughts - some which he chooses to share with us all. Including the classic comment 'yow'm don't looks strong enough to mek fenders' ....

Edited by wrigglefingers

You may not be able to get any from Tradline. We ordered some in October, and due to a series of misfortunes at Tradline, they're not yet ready. When I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago they said they're way behind on the orders and have stopped taking any more, so there are unlikely to be any for sale off the shelf.

Thanks - we ordered it in September and they have assured us it will be ready by the end of this month

Thanks for the recommendations Richard & Gill :-) ,

Mark you should really be making your own now shouldn't you!

I can highly recommend Mick Betts. He lives on narrowboat "Agnes Blomfield" just below Cosgrove lock.If you go, please say Jack recommended him.

Eric Johns has a web site here:- http://www.fendermakerltd.co.uk/

Our boat has always had fenders from him, The last set I bought were supposedly his and bought from the caravan at Apple lock but, like yours, they were significantly inferior to the earlier ones, and quite expensive. I have not taken them back as there seems little could be done to imrove them, and I guess that any replacements will be the same.

Eric does not mention Apple Lock as an outlet for his products any more so there is a possibility that they were not made by him, but merely someone trading on his past reputation, however, I will not be using him again.

Edited by David Schweizer

I can highly recommend Mick Betts. He lives on narrowboat "Agnes Blomfield" just below Cosgrove lock.If you go, please say Jack recommended him.

I concurr. Although we didnt buy anything from him, he happily came on our boat and sorted out my front fender that had not been attached right even to the extent of fitting a new shackle FOC.

Real helpful guy.

When there is more water we might go south for our new ones

I too can very highly recommend Mick Betts. A photo below of Goldie's new bumpers made by Mick about 18 months ago.

Micks phone number is 07816541868

med_gallery_6875_388_236342.jpg

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add; The Landlady informs me I am wrong, they were not made 18 months ago but three years ago and they still look as good today.

Edited by ditchdabbler

I too can very highly recommend Mick Betts. A photo below of Goldie's new bumpers made by Mick about 18 months ago.

Micks phone number is 07816541868

med_gallery_6875_388_236342.jpg

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add; The Landlady informs me I am wrong, they were not made 18 months ago but three years ago and they still look as good today.

That second tipcat needs lifting a bit, though ;) ;)

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to those who recommended Mick Betts. As Tradline were having problems fulfilling orders, I cancelled with them and got in touch with Mick who moored just a mile or so away from our moorings. Less than three weeks later, he's been this morning and fitted the new fenders. Not only that, but he's been along in the meantime and in order to work loose the old shackles, which were rusted solid, and as he didn't have any new shackles of the right size says he'll come back and change them next week.

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG