Boat Depreciation/Appreciation

Blackcountrymon

Featured Posts

Yes, I saw both boats on the same day and in all honesty the first one didn't feel like somewhere I could live. I like the idea of cruiser stern because of a bit of outside space for my herbs and to eat out on a nice day- is trad stern thought to be better because of the space? We also have wellies and walking boots, waterproofs etc which need a home and i thought the cruiser stern might provide this...

It hasn't got a cruiser stern - thank goodness, as this would mean much less space for such items, unless it was covered over in some way. Cruiser sterns are open and exposed.

It was, however, fitted out by a very reputable company. Tim Wickenden and his staff at Devizes Narrowboat Builders fitted our last boat out in 2001, nothing fancy, but a good, honest fit-out.

You back to the OP's question - do boats depriciate or appreciate?

The answer is yes, but keep them long enough and you may well get your money back less inflation.

For example in some of my old Waterways World magazines show Springers selling new in the early 1980's for £9000-£10000. Similar price to what such boats will fetch now.

Another example, in 1973 I was offered a GUCCC "camping boat" for £250. (Same price as I had just paid for a 7 year old Riley Elf, a Mini with a boot, hence why I couldn't afford.) Now worth in excess of £40k, assuming it had remained in reasonable condition.

Not sure how much a 1930's working boat would have been when new, or what that would be in today's money.

Eh? Are we looking at the same adverts? The second is a semi-trad, which is quite different from a cruiser stern.

Oooopsss, yes apologies all around, I knew that but from looking at the pictures and typing the brain got it wrong.

As you have a child - would it not be better to look for boats with two berths?

She's very young yet so we sleep together most nights. Two cabins or one with the potential for a decent sofa-bed in the saloon would be fine; or enough space to fit her existing bed in freestanding (I've seen a 70-foot boat with this arrangement).

As you have a child - would it not be better to look for boats with two berths?

I was going to make the same point. Both of these boats (and many others you will find) have a reasonably private bedroom towards the stern, and a living area at the front. For a holiday boat its fine to make up a bed in the living area every night, but would you wan to do that every day?

And who would sleep where? Not sure of the age of your daughter, but if she goes to bed earlier than you, then she gets the bedroom and the privacy , and you are on the convertible in the living space with much less privacy.

Also, the bedroom probably has some sort of wardrobe storage, but living areas generally don't. So where would you keep your clothes (as well as everything else) - especially if you're the sort that has a large collection of long dresses?

There are boats out there with 2 sleeping cabins, as well as a living area - often ex hire boats which were designed to cram em in for a week or two. But there aren't that many of them, so you may need to look for a while.

An alternative is to look for a boat that has enough space that you could remodel to create an additional sleeping cabin.

Another alternative is to look at a fully traditional boat with a back cabin (often referred to as a 'boatmans cabin') right at the back, then an engine room, then the more conventional accommodation. To get all this in without being unduly cramped you are probably looking at 60-70 ft.

A couple of examples randomly picked from Apolloduck:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=416675

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=457627

Hmm both those could be worth a look!

I have looked at open-plan boats and at ones with separate sections, including one with 2 cabins and an office (over budget sadly). There would be pros and cons to both for us. She's only just five. For now, she sleeps with me most nights anyway, so the cabin could be 'hers' and we'd both sleep there. Later on, I might sleep in the saloon, but with a decent bed like a proper futon or that sort of thing, I don't think it would be a massive problem. It's only outside people I'd want privacy from. And she is at her dad's for at least part of each weekend.

I'm not really a "large collection of long dresses" sort of person to be honest so I'm sure we could share the bedroom wardrobe ;)

In terms of flat v boat, my costs are,

Rent a flat £685/month

Live on my boat £342/ month

This is all the costs bar diesel and upkeep, but even cruising a little and upkeep of the boat i still have £343/month to play with.

I understand its all down to where you live, but for me its a lot cheaper.

I say to you do it, work everything out and if you can afford it then go for it, but only if you have spare cash to pay for repairs and replacement of things you need to live, boiler/pumps/batteries .....

oh yeah, the sharing of a wardrobe might be fun, mines tiny and only just big enough for me, thank god i dont share with a lady!!

I'd have no problem living with one of my children on my boat, which is only 42' long and only has only one cabin, but a lot depends on how much space you personally need. I don't live on my boat at the moment, but probably will do sometime this year and all my maths suggest that it would be far cheaper than a flat- the three main costs, licences, moorings and insurance come to less than £1,700 a year (I do have a very cheap mooring), and I'd allow £1,000 a year for maintenance. Diesel is absolutely negligible, I can cruise around 7 hours for around £4. By contrast, even a cheap and nasty flat would cost around £800 a month including council tax and utility bills.

If you want to do it, then go for it. If you don't like the lifestyle then you can always sell it again.

Thanks. Yes my sums were similar. I think the number of bedrooms is less important than the 'feel' of the boat for us. We can always hook up curtains or something if it's vital, and if we have an open-plan boat, I can use small drawers/cupboards which we already have. As I said, I've seen one where the children have freestanding bunk beds. We'll have to see what we end up with.

Thanks. Yes my sums were similar. I think the number of bedrooms is less important than the 'feel' of the boat for us. We can always hook up curtains or something if it's vital, and if we have an open-plan boat, I can use small drawers/cupboards which we already have. As I said, I've seen one where the children have freestanding bunk beds. We'll have to see what we end up with.

i think you are right, on both my boats i knew straight away that they were the one. the second one i didnt really go out to buy, but did, we were just out for a drive and a cup of coffee, and thought we would go and look some boats...............................sick.gifclapping.gif

Any opinions on this boat? She's over budget but maybe there is some wiggle room on price? Not much description of the technical stuff, is that a no-no?

i think i would like some pictures of the outside as well plus the engine bit heating etc phone them and chat about it

Any opinions on this boat? She's over budget but maybe there is some wiggle room on price? Not much description of the technical stuff, is that a no-no?

It looks ok from the photos, but it's a woefully inadequate description, unless I've missed it, it doesn't even say what type of engine it has. From what it does say, I personally think it is overpriced.

Seems a lot for a boat over 20 years old.

As to the lack of information in the advert it maybe that they think that once you have seen it you will forget about the weaknesses.

So for example when was it last blacked, how many hours on the engine, size of inverter etc. It would be a rash assumption to think the washer will work when away from shore power. But if you like it, go and have a look.

You are going in the 'right direction' with research, research and more research.

My little bit of 'advice' would be that :

Newcomers to boats do not appreciate that what they do today has implications on what they need to do 'tomorrow'*.

Turning on the light, watching TV, charging the phone etc all mean that either the engine needs running or the electricity meter needs 'topping up' tomorrow.

Flushing the toilet means that you will need to empty it tomorrow - AND refill the water tank tomorrow

Boiling the kettle means that you will have to replace the gas bottle tomorrow and refill the water tank tomorrow

Lighting the fire means that you will have to clear the ashes tomorrow and get more coal tomorrow

* Tomorrow means 'up to a few days' in the future.

The big difference between a house and a boat, is that all utilities come provided and are 'unlimited' in a house, whilst on a boat, you make (or supply) your own.

It may seem insignificant, but my view is that it is like going to a place on holiday and thinking how lovely it is despite the poisonous spiders, malaria and crocodiles, its not until you live there that the full ramifications come to the fore.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Why has it needed repainting only 2 years after a full repaint? Only hire and share boats (which are extensively used, often by novice steerer's in all weathers) are repainted that frequently, indeed often annually. Most paint jobs last 5-10 years. If the paint looks suspect when you see it in the flesh (look around windows, vents etc for signs of bubbling) I would budget for a back to the metal repaint.

Other than that it looks a good boat, reputable shell builder and engine.