If you could start again!!

Titan

Featured Posts

Hi folkes

If you could re-plan/change add or remove anything from your boat what would it be and why?

Ie Heating /cooking/ electrickery/layout etc i wonder if from this i can gather some really usefull information to help with our refit ?? thanks Martin :closedeyes:

Hi folkes

If you could re-plan/change add or remove anything from your boat what would it be and why?

Ie Heating /cooking/ electrickery/layout etc i wonder if from this i can gather some really usefull information to help with our refit ?? thanks Martin :closedeyes:

If I knew what I know now and that we would have ended up on the Northern part of the system as soon as we did I would have removed 2-3 feet from the hull length.... :rolleyes:

Layout wise - probably a cross bed would have been better but we can add/change to one of these.

One thing I wouldn't change is the rear cabin with separate sleeping accommodation for visitors, nor would I change the lounge being at the front and the galley midships.

I might have gone for a walk through bathroom but not 100% on that one yet....

I would have rung the guy who'd just removed his ad, for the Osborne Kestrel, rather than assuming it was sold and rushing in to buy my no.2 choice.

The ad for the boat I really wanted reappeared a few days later.

As for changing anything, if I'm bored or unhappy with anything then I'll sell the boat and buy something different.

There are so many different boating experiences out there that I never want to be tied down to one boat forever.

Now I want a bigger boat but I think my boat of choice was right at the time.

I'd like in the next boat we get walk through bathroom, cross bed, more sensible storage using the space better, back boiler on the stove that feeds bedroom and bathroom radiators, dinette or somewhere to sit and eat properly....

Think that's about it.

On further thought . . . .

I may have gone for a different model of First Mate

You'll get the picture . . . Michelin Starred chef, Blonde, 30 years younger, slim, curvy, good sense of humour, strong lock arm, affectionate,

:rolleyes:

You're going to be living on bread and dripping for the next month.....

if you're lucky. :P

Edited by Higgs

As for changing anything, if I'm bored or unhappy with anything then I'll sell the boat and buy something different.

There are so many different boating experiences out there that I never want to be tied down to one boat forever.

Thats exactly what I do :cheers:

Bigger fuel tank

50 gallons isnt enough :rolleyes:

Quite right - we had 680 litre tanks in our Fairline and refuelled ( 400 litres at a time) most days when we were cruising (mind you it was only about 30p / litre at the time)

Mind you - the NB has it for the laid-back pace of the canals and just downright 'pleasure'

Edited by Alan de Enfield

After seven years of full time living on board our widebeam, we are still very happy with the layout just as we designed It. The only thing that we would do different if starting again, is to not waste £2500 on an Ebercrapper 'central heating system' and gone straight to the solid fuel stove. Would probably have allowed for better air circulation in enclosed areas and at the risk of inspiring groans, would definitely have double glazed windows from the start. :)

Roger

..... at the risk of inspiring groans, would definitely have double glazed windows from the start. :)

Roger

What's wrong with double glazing ? Serious question as I was thinking about it the other day

SECURITY.

One of my biggest regrets was not thinking more about security prior to the build. Ours is a semi-trad, with a side hatch port and starboard. Just wish we had built in locks to ALL the doors. Now thinking of ways to retro fit without causing damage. All our doors are steel skinned with wood lining.

Just a thought.

:cheers: