If you could start again!!

Titan

Featured Posts

We've had our boat about ten year and done most of the above. We have found, having tried hot air heating and diesel fires, that the good old Morso Squirell is best. We have no radiators and it works great. We have also re-wired the boat and run the new wiring in trunking. The first two things we got rid of were the hot air heating and the pump out toilet(we use a cassette). The best thing we have done recently is to change to L.E.D lighting.

We've had our boat about ten year and done most of the above. We have found, having tried hot air heating and diesel fires, that the good old Morso Squirell is best. We have no radiators and it works great. We have also re-wired the boat and run the new wiring in trunking. The first two things we got rid of were the hot air heating and the pump out toilet(we use a cassette). The best thing we have done recently is to change to L.E.D lighting.

A good and sensible post. As we ALL know solid fuel stoves and anything other than pumpout toilets are the only way to go :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I know I'm coming in to this thread a bit late but better late then never. My husband bought our boat when he was a batchelor and he's continuously cruised for 6 years. Our baot is functional and sturdy, however now that two people are living aboard and one is a woman, we've discussed what things we like and what we would have done differently, had we bought the boat together. Here then is our list:

1. A cross bed is a must if you are not sleeping alone--or at least a larger bed than 4'6" wide.

2. Solid fuel stove a must and a joy. We only use the Ebi when it drops below freezing and then only for a short time.

3. LED lighting throughout. Get the warm whites though. The cool white leaves out a full spectrum of colors and makes it difficult to see.

4. Ideal layout for us: Reverse layout with a wet room off the stern, and then the galley, followed by dinette, saloon, cross through bathroom for maximum room, and bedroom at the bow with side hatches in the corridor just outside, and a king size bed that doesn't have to be put togeher and taken apart every night/morning.

5. Composting toilet. As we age those cassettes get heavier and heavier...while composting loos are uncommon on boats, I've spoken with several folks who do have them and they have no problems with them at all; that certainly cannot be said for cassettes and try finding replacement cassettes for a Thetford these days...

6. Double glazed windows

7. Insect screens on all opening windows

8. A hatch that offers options for screened viewing or plexiglass as well as just being open to the air

9. Storage! Use every bit of available space with an eye to storage inside and out

10. Put the fridge UP on top of the counter instead of below. We've done this and it is brilliant for arthritic knees

11. Floor to ceiling pull out pantry in galley.

12. Built in storage for wood and stove things. We would also tile not just the stove surround but a larger margin so those live bits don't reach the wood floor and leave scorch marks

13. 58 feet is long enough for two people without pets, allowing for cruising thorugh all parts of the system.

All said though, I love our floating home and I am happy to be on it with my husband, but then I would be happy in a dingy with him!

The thing I have found is that no matter what idea of a lay out you have in your head when you buy a boat, circumstances can and do change. I only wanted a cruiser, that you could walk all the way through, with no side hatches or port holes. The along came 3 big dogs and everything changed! I now have portholes, 2 side hatches and trad stern and no front well!!! And its still the same boat. But I wouldn't recomend this as a re fit, LOADS of work and not cheap, but I am really pleased and I still love my boat nearly 10 years on. :lol:

Ah thats lovey we love our boat too....

• 1 month later...

Well I know I'm coming in to this thread a bit late but better late then never. My husband bought our boat when he was a batchelor and he's continuously cruised for 6 years. Our baot is functional and sturdy, however now that two people are living aboard and one is a woman, we've discussed what things we like and what we would have done differently, had we bought the boat together. Here then is our list:

1. A cross bed is a must if you are not sleeping alone--or at least a larger bed than 4'6" wide.

2. Solid fuel stove a must and a joy. We only use the Ebi when it drops below freezing and then only for a short time.

3. LED lighting throughout. Get the warm whites though. The cool white leaves out a full spectrum of colors and makes it difficult to see.

4. Ideal layout for us: Reverse layout with a wet room off the stern, and then the galley, followed by dinette, saloon, cross through bathroom for maximum room, and bedroom at the bow with side hatches in the corridor just outside, and a king size bed that doesn't have to be put togeher and taken apart every night/morning.

5. Composting toilet. As we age those cassettes get heavier and heavier...while composting loos are uncommon on boats, I've spoken with several folks who do have them and they have no problems with them at all; that certainly cannot be said for cassettes and try finding replacement cassettes for a Thetford these days...

6. Double glazed windows

7. Insect screens on all opening windows

8. A hatch that offers options for screened viewing or plexiglass as well as just being open to the air

9. Storage! Use every bit of available space with an eye to storage inside and out

10. Put the fridge UP on top of the counter instead of below. We've done this and it is brilliant for arthritic knees

11. Floor to ceiling pull out pantry in galley.

12. Built in storage for wood and stove things. We would also tile not just the stove surround but a larger margin so those live bits don't reach the wood floor and leave scorch marks

13. 58 feet is long enough for two people without pets, allowing for cruising thorugh all parts of the system.

All said though, I love our floating home and I am happy to be on it with my husband, but then I would be happy in a dingy with him!

It's great to read this! Myself and husband are currently designing the interior of our dream, but soon to be reality boat. The first thing I said was that I wouldnt share a normal double with him... so number 1 is exactly what we are planning! We are having an odd reverse layout with a massive kingsize bed at the front with a door which you can use if neccessary :) Also being able to plan in loads of crazy storage ideas is an essential for me too.

12. [snip] We would also tile not just the stove surround but a larger margin so those live bits don't reach the wood floor and leave scorch marks

Great ideas, most of them (but does errm, bed "activity" in a cross-bed cause alarming rocking?).

A simple solution to 12 above is to glue 4 tiles to a piece of wood (add a simple beading rim if you want) and place in front of stove. This stops most scorching.

A good and sensible post. As we ALL know solid fuel stoves and anything other than pumpout toilets are the only way to go :cheers:

I strongly suspect that Mr Smelly may well be changing his list . . . .

• Overall Length: 24.50 metres
  • Breadth: 5.30 Metres
  • Draught: 1.34 Metres
  • Air Height: 4.80 Metres
  • Approx. weight: 80 tonnes
  • WITH pump-out toilets!

I would have fitted a solar panel much sooner. Re the security issue, I tend to leave my door unlocked and not keep anything worth stealing on the boat (not difficult as I don't have the money to buy expensive stuff). That way, if thieves do want to check it out, they won't do any damage breaking in. This form of 'security' has worked for 3 years and counting!

It's great to read this! Myself and husband are currently designing the interior of our dream, but soon to be reality boat. The first thing I said was that I wouldnt share a normal double with him... so number 1 is exactly what we are planning! We are having an odd reverse layout with a massive kingsize bed at the front with a door which you can use if neccessary :) Also being able to plan in loads of crazy storage ideas is an essential for me too.

If your first impression was to not share a double with your husband, I fear for your relationship..

Or buy a house, which can accommodate a king size easily...

Or find a husband that you DO want to be close to, in bed..

:wacko:

After 26 years I still won't share a standard double with my husband. On our first outing on a NB we managed one night before going for the two bed option. We have a 5ft bed on our boat and that's fine for up to 3 weeks,. Go for the biggest bed you can. Relationships are a lot easier to maintain when you can both sleep comfortably. : :D

If your first impression was to not share a double with your husband, I fear for your relationship..

I wasn't allowed to buy a house where the bedroom ceiling wasn't high enough for me to stand on the wardrobe...

I had to reinforce the chandelier, too.

• Haha 1