nb or cruser?

peter nelson

Featured Posts

ok so thinking about the two types of boat, grp cruser and steel nb, and waying up which is best and why i have come up with the following, bear in mind im very much a noob about boats.

steel rusts so limited life or high maintenence, plastic dosent. 1 point to cruser.

cheep nb £15k cheep cruser £4k another point to cruser.

looks and internal space definatly a point to the nb.

convienience and lager water and fuel tanks. point to nb

so 2-2 from what i can see the cruser is an ideal holiday and weekend craft while the nb is the ideal liveaboard.

over to the experts for a more in depth discusion.

and over to the searchers to rake up a five year old thread and say its been discussed to death already.

Point narrowboat- You can call grp boats 'tupperwares' and look smug. But when grp owners call NB's 'sewertubes,' they just look jealous.

**Runs for life.**

:lol: Kidding!

I don't think all of your point are totally accurate, to be honest- Particularly the bit about what price you may expect to pay for a cheap nb. You didn't mention size so it's hard to say, but you could get lucky and end up with a reasonable NB for a lot less than 15k... I did!

And don't forget GRP boats can suffer from osmosis, also need anti fouling, and are more vulnerable than a stell hull, when comparing the maintenance involved.

Edited by Starcoaster

A narrow cruiser and a narrow boat both have the problem that they are Narrow. the only difference is length. full width boats have advantage of more room. borrow or hire boats before buying.

if i hire a boat at £1000 for a week thats 3-4 months of savings so 3-4 months longer before i get my boat, and i want it now.

were as if i buy one and truly hate it i am sure i can resell and lose less than £1000

and i think i have decided what boat i want, its the viking 27` with centre cockpit it looks just what i need now i just have to get the cash, dam you lottery why do you hate me.

I wanted to say that, but was already getting my ass handed to me in chat by the tupperware GRP brigade. :cheers:

Starry, please us correct terminology, plastic boats are known as " Airfix Kits "..............

ok so thinking about the two types of boat, grp cruser and steel nb, and waying up which is best and why i have come up with the following, bear in mind im very much a noob about boats.

steel rusts so limited life or high maintenence, plastic dosent. 1 point to cruser.

cheep nb £15k cheep cruser £4k another point to cruser.

looks and internal space definatly a point to the nb.

convienience and lager water and fuel tanks. point to nb

so 2-2 from what i can see the cruser is an ideal holiday and weekend craft while the nb is the ideal liveaboard.

over to the experts for a more in depth discusion.

and over to the searchers to rake up a five year old thread and say its been discussed to death already.

With respect, I suspect you might be trying to justify a decision you might have already made?

If you were considering buying landed property or a car would you be asking on an internet forum whether you should buy a house or bungalow .... or a Ferrari or a Fiesta?

I reckon you need to give much more information about your circumstances, intended use and cruising range etc if you want the best advice.

Starry, please us correct terminology, plastic boats are known as " Airfix Kits "..............

The correct terminology is ---------------------Margarine Tubs

The correct terminology is ............'Splitters' ;)

Also known as 'Bathtubs'

In my younger days it was invariably "Tupperware" which I still rather like.

"Splitters" is I believe a much newer term, (did I hear it first from Magnetman ?), but one I am happy to use interchangeably with "Tupperware".

Before then it was Noddy Boats. And it was usually the Noddy Boat owners who put most effort into restoration and campaigning ..............:smiley_offtopic:

"Splitters" is I believe a much newer term, (did I hear it first from Magnetman ?), but one I am happy to use interchangeably with "Tupperware".

"Jellymould"

"Yogurt Pot"

Edited by David Mack

Call cruisers whatever you like but there is much more choice and design goes into most cruisers than your average sewertube with a blunt end a pointy end and a box of varying lengths in the middle.

You say that looks and internal space are a point to narrowboats but how many cruisers have you been on? The vast majority of cruisers use the avaliable space exceptionally well. Our 25ft cruiser has a fixed double berth, shower room, galley, saloon seating for six and cockpit seating for six under the canvas. Find a similar sized narrowboat with all of that.

If your dream is to cruise the whole of the UK inland system then it will have to be a narrowboat, but if like the vast majority you are tied down to weekends and holidays then a cruiser, depending on where you plan to keep it could well be the answer.

We use our cruiser as a semi liveaboard, living on her from Friday to Monday and she is fine for that. We moor in an area where there is little point owning a narrowboat as the waterways are all large and fast flowing and there are many chances for us to open up our boat and let her stretch her legs. We have been moored where we currently are for three years now and have hardly scratched the surface of the waterways and destinations that are avaliable to us. Horses for courses and you really need to decide how you would use the boat. :cheers:

Being trailable will limited your choices. You will be limited in the length, beam and weight of the boat you can trail. Our Sealine is right on the limit of being trailable and as she stands now fully loaded would be far too heavy. A friend of ours did trail one and he found it too much hard work so bought a smaller lighter boat that is much easier to trail. He has lost out on space and quality of boat though.

Being trailable will limited your choices. You will be limited in the length, beam and weight of the boat you can trail. Our Sealine is right on the limit of being trailable and as she stands now fully loaded would be far too heavy. A friend of ours did trail one and he found it too much hard work so bought a smaller lighter boat that is much easier to trail. He has lost out on space and quality of boat though.

LOL you could trail with a 70 foot narrowboat you just need a crane and a very long lorry to do it :cheers:

the wilderness boats and some of the sea otter boats were advertised as trainable.