Have I killed my porta potti?!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

So in our early days as caravanner's when Jan put bleach in our Porta Potti bowl and the blade seal wrinkled up like a shrivelled prune and no longer retained the tank contents what do you suppose could be the cause?

Bottom line is do not put anything in these toilets other than approved products - it's not difficult to adhere to.

Are we talking about the same thing?

As I said before, I'm talking about chlorine bleach ie the stuff you buy from the supermarket. Chlorine bleach is a weak solution of sodium hypochlorite and shouldn't react with household plastic, rubber etc. Maybe if it came into contact with another chemical such as an acidic cleaner then the reaction could creat a destructive effect, I don't know I've never tried it, but I've used household bleach for 1001 things and never known it to destroy anything such as you experienced.

And yes, I have used it in one of our (older) p/p's.

NEWSFLASH:

Starry has had a serious toilet incident.

No need to worry, she is alive, but has serious metal scars. Something to do with the cap on the cassette outelt pipe. Or not. Imagine the worst and you'll be close, lol!

She will be along to fill in the details I expect, when the doctors let her out :D

No need to worry, she is alive, but has serious metal scars.

This sounds like some frightening incident.

There is not a lot of metal in most Porta-Potties, so has she managed to take out some of the actual boat? :o

C'mon Star ....fess up to the forum lol.....I think Mike meant 'Mental' scars, not 'metal', though I suspect the loo itself is suffering from a certain amount of lack of self-esteem now, after the names it was called! :lol:

It's all that fancy technology that's got you in a tizz.

Money saving tip:

Learn from your cats.

Get down to Wilko and buy a small trowel - cheap at this time of year.

Hey presto.

Bogs on demand.

Don't forget to fill the hole afterwards though.

Reading your posts I think you have the chutzpah to carry this off.

If you are shy however get yourself down to a fancy dress shop for a furry cat suit.

ETA

If you are at Braunston you can have a walk down to the elsan disposal point and use that which will save wear on your trowel.

Edited by andywatson

And please post photos of Tim's face, when he sees you doing it in his marina.

Thank goodness: when I started to read your post I thought that you were going to recommend putting the photo of Mr. C's face in the hole she'd dug with her trowel, before filling same.

• Greenie 1

I no longer bother with Blue.

Someone on this forum recommended using biological washing liquid instead so I gave it a try and it works! No 'pong' just the smell of washing. It breaks down the solids just fine and will not affect the seals.

Plus it's a whole deal cheaper than Blue.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Totally agree. I have been using this in our motorhome. It's often several weekends over a period of a month or so the the cassette needs emptying. Even after that amount of time and in the summer too ther is no problem with the smell of blue stuff, or yellow stuff or brown stuff. In fact even when emptying the only nasty thing is the colour of the contents. Somehow the blue dye takes the edge off what you are doing. I might try some food dye.

We have a 22L cassette and I use 1 tea mug of bio powder cheepo stuff from supermarket, if it goes over several MH use sessions I will chuck another in.

When we were on the NB and emptied it every couple of days I never bothered with anything.

On the motorhome I am going to make a SOG unit.

Edited by Biggles

A bit of lateral thought is called for here.Avoid using your porta potti as much as possible.Free public toilets can be identified in most town centres by the distinctive double arched "M" symbol.This venerable tradition is known as a McShit and Flies.

Edited by JDR

A bit of lateral thought is called for here.Avoid using your porta potti as much as possible.Free public toilets can be identified in most town centres by the distinctive double arched "M" symbol.This venerable tradition is known as a McShit and Flies.

I call it a Big crap, if you get asked why you havent ordered anything just tell them that you will on the way back, a big crap with lies! :cheers: :cheers: