Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Hang on - my Latin O'Level is from 1987 when I was in Upper Fifth.

Does that make me automatically right, as it's the newest currently on offer? :D

Can't remember a thing about it. O obesa cantavit.

Edited by Circe

• 4 weeks later...

It would appear that Gibbo has stopped contributing to the Forum because a joke posted by him was removed by one of the moderators. I did not see the joke so I cannot make any judgement.

Despite his sometimes non PC comments, I think the Forum will be a poorer place without Chris Gibson's expert advice on Electrical matters, we are now down from three to only one resident Electrics Expert, so it's all on your shoulders now Snibble.

:o Where is he ?

One rumour i heard was that he was trying to REWIRE guitar doctor's brain...

One (reliable) rumour I heard was he spat his dummy out and he went...

missed...but easily forgotten...

Caveat.

Other electrical advice is available...

Moderation on this forum is way more 'forgiving' and lenient than you get on a lot of others....

Sometimes a bit inconsistent maybe but overall just fine....

What ''others'' would that be then ?

I did see the joke and, though well over the boundaries, according to the CWDF rules, I wouldn't have reported it and feel that some jokes remaining on the joke thread are far more extreme.

He told the joke and drew attention to it by setting down the challenge, which a moderator took.

Whilst it is a shame that Gibbo feels the freedom to tell adult jokes on a family forum is more important than to talk about boats, boating and waterways, that is his right and we should respect his decision to vote with his feet.

I think the number of electrics geeks is not that low, though.

Moomin Papa seems to know a bit but maybe doesn't blow his trumpet quite so loudly.

(Iirc it was fellatio related humour but I'm rubbish at remembering jokes)

Adults make families and are part of them jokes or no jokes.

I cant imagine many young kids reading a boring old boat forum and if they are why are their ''adult'' parents not keeping an eye on them.

Kids hear all sorts in the real world from f ings to the jeffings.

One (reliable) rumour I heard was he spat his dummy out and he went...

If only you would along with your mates well known to everyone round here.

missed...but easily forgotten...

Indeed you are.

Caveat.

Other electrical advice is available...

Edited by Spacebar

So the person that believes the Anglicised version should be used at all times has an opinion (and sticks to it, despite a multitude of examples that disprove his rule) and the person that believes both forms are acceptable also has an opinion.

Neither is right or wrong, they just believe they are right, which was what I have been saying all along.

I'm not saying you are wrong, Dave, I am merely saying I'm not wrong either.

You really think Gibbo would lower the intellectual level argument to such a level?

I've had some almighty rows with Gibbo, in the past, but he's never used crayon to write his responses.

Edited by Spacebar

What ''others'' would that be then ?

One thing the mods don't like in here is us slagging off other forums by name so I won't name them.

I once was banned from another boating forum for having a link to my blog in my signature, I wasn't even given a warning and the chance to remove it, and I was banned from another related to Land Rover vehicles for having a disagreement with a moderation decision. You are able to express openly in here if you disagree with a moderation decision and it doesn't get you banned.

One thing the mods don't like in here is us slagging off other forums by name so I won't name them.

I once was banned from another boating forum for having a link to my blog in my signature, I wasn't even given a warning and the chance to remove it, and I was banned from another related to Land Rover vehicles for having a disagreement with a moderation decision. You are able to express openly in here if you disagree with a moderation decision and it doesn't get you banned.

The comment highlighted is very true however I feel that disagreements with a mods decision should, ideally, be discussed/challenged with them quietly off-forum so that it doesn't evolve into the usual slanging and sides-taking that these sorts of open threads incur. If you want an example of that tendency then you only have to view this one about 'Where's Gibbo?' which, although not created by a mods decision, has become a lengthy and partisan thread.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Driven away by right-on feminist harridans, i thought.

Too scared to come back.

<goes back to burning bra>

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This is one of those times it seems so unfair we can't give the moderators "greenies!".......

I was once banned before I started for wanting to call myself 'Roger the Cabin Boy'.

I was once banned before I started for wanting to call myself 'Roger the Cabin Boy'.

Was that a pseudonym or an order? :P

It was quite noticeable in Ireland when the film entitled 'Free Willy' was released, that the bulk of the audience were women. I wonder at what point did they realise that it was only a film and not an advertisement. :wacko:

Edited by Doorman

I cant imagine many young kids reading a boring old boat forum and if they are why are their ''adult'' parents not keeping an eye on them.

Kids hear all sorts in the real world from f ings to the jeffings.

Well my son loves reading the forum and loves boats and I "keep an eye on him" by ensuring that he only goes on websites that are appropriate, such as this one.

You're missing the point, though.

Neither you nor me make the rules but, those that do, have decided that offensive "adult" language or humour is not allowed.

Gibbo felt that he didn't want to participate in a forum with such rules so he left.

Well my son loves reading the forum and loves boats and I "keep an eye on him" by ensuring that he only goes on websites that are appropriate, such as this one.

You're missing the point, though.

Neither you nor me make the rules but, those that do, have decided that offensive "adult" language or humour is not allowed.

Gibbo felt that he didn't want to participate in a forum with such rules so he left.

I think that he got fed up with answering the same questions over nd over again. We now have such a bank of Gibbo answered questions that all you need to do is search for the right one rather than asking it again.

Most people, when they leave a forum just stop posting. Gibbo told us exactly what caused him to leave. That is entirely up to him. Of course, he can always have an anonymous lurk from time to time and congratulate himself on the fact that he is missed! I would be most flattered to have over five hundred comments on my departure

Nick

Nick

Edited by Theo
To add a bit

I think that he got fed up with answering the same questions over nd over again. We now have such a bank of Gibbo answered questions that all you need to do is search for the right one rather than asking it again.

Most people, when they leave a forum just stop posting. Gibbo told us exactly what caused him to leave. That is entirely up to him. Of course, he can always have an anonymous lurk from time to time and congratulate himself on the fact that he is missed! I would be most flattered to have over five hundred comments on my departure

Nick

I never found him reluctant to answer questions. If he felt that it had been answered he would point you to where, on this site or his own web-site, the answers could be found but that isn't unusual when you are busy IMO.

The fact that there are so many comments (the majority relevant to the topic title) and many very supportive (me included in that group) suggests that his input and expertise is missed. I think that this forum is the worse for the loss of some of the people that have left or faded away, and there are quite a few.

Roger

I never found him reluctant to answer questions. If he felt that it had been answered he would point you to where, on this site or his own web-site, the answers could be found but that isn't unusual when you are busy IMO.

The fact that there are so many comments (the majority relevant to the topic title) and many very supportive (me included in that group) suggests that his input and expertise is missed. I think that this forum is the worse for the loss of some of the people that have left or faded away, and there are quite a few.

Roger

I suppose that it is much the same whenever someone retires from any sphere of operation. Their knowledge is partially lost. Thank Goodness we have writing!

Nick