Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Are you mad? Of course it won't be in tune, an armadillo has just eaten it!

:lol: :lol:

Not only am I mad, I'm bloody blind too! I should have noticed that devouring little armour plated pig. :P

Mad Mike

Edited by Doorman

But will it stay in tune on board a narrow boat?. My classical guitar certainly doesn't :angry:

Mike

I believe vibration is the issue; my electric guitar does go out of tune when we cruise for a day. Locking tuners?

Yes, I won't have a Range Rover on my boat for the same reason.

Reading the recent reports on their reliability, I wouldn't want to see one under any circumstances. Their indicators never work anyway!

Me again.

I believe vibration is the issue; my electric guitar does go out of tune when we cruise for a day. Locking tuners?

I could be wrong (usually so) but in my particular instance, I attribute it to the variation in ambient temperatures

on a narrow boat.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

I could be wrong (usually so) but in my particular instance, I attribute it to the variation in ambient temperatures

on a narrow boat.

I'd agree with that.

Musicians moving from the band room to the orchestra pit (or onto stage) experience exactly the same thing when their instruments meet the hot humid air of the auditorium.

Tony

Yes temperature variation does it too; my bass is bloody awful for that! Though I have noticed that the lead guitar can be considerably and randomly out of tune after a day's cruising. I find that temperature variation makes it quite predictable from string to string (on an electronic tuner) but after sitting in the boat on a stand it can be quite interesting. I should of course put it on the bed and isolate it from the vibration.

Edited to add that on thinking it probably isn't vibration as most (not all) tuners work on a worm drive system. I doubt if vibration would unwind these? Not sure now...

Edited by Guest

Ok, I'll take it that everybody has relatively new strings as old ones being under tension, even if unplayed, basically get fatigued...so after a few weeks they lose their stability.

Presuming that they are new-ish strings, that they have been "stretched in"...this involves gentle pulling of the string and tuning up (never down) to the relative note, they should be fairly stable.

The things that mainly effect the stability are temperature and vibration, so everyone is correct in their assumption. The temperature affects the neck, so you may notice strings buzz or the action gets slightly higher as temperature changes, then it settles a little as you play it (unless you're in front of the roaring woodburner or sitting outside in the cold wind). As long as it's a small fluctuation, then it's nothing to worry about. Vibration actually ages the strings as it's almost as if the guitar is being strummed for X hours a day, so in effecy this prematurely shortens their lifespan. You may notice the strings are more stable a couple of days after restringing, but then get worse as time passes.

The best option is to keep the guitars in a case where they will less be affected by temperature, and keep them on the bed or sofa where vibration is lessened.

Locking tuners will only help if you use a tremolo in conjunction with a graphtech or graphite nut (or nutsauce - yes it's real..!!).

Keep guitars well lemon oiled for rosewood or ebony fretboards and keep an eye on too little or not enough moisture (I know, it's not easy is it..!!)....though this is less of a problem in our fine Mediterranean climate.....

Hope this helps... ;)

Couple of interesting points there:

I have noticed that when bending the top E on my electric, it snaps easier when it has been on the boat for a while. Suggests vibration-ageing?

Something I had not considered is the idea that the neck bends in different temps, leading to tuning problems. This effect would be caused by the truss rod I assume?

I have gone to slightly heavier B & E strings which helps.

May I ask what electric strings you would recommend (mainly Shadows stuff)?

Ernie Ball Slinky 10 on my strat. I did have 8 on but I kept on breaking them.

The Fretless base has flat wound. Never changed them or even carry spares

Bob B

There again I play a Hammond the boat, vibration or temperature doesn't effect it.

Edited by Bob Blues

Ernie Ball Slinky 10 on my strat. I did have 8 on but I kept on breaking them.

The Fretless base has flat wound. Never changed them or even carry spares

Bob B

There again I play a Hammond the boat, vibration or temperature doesn't effect it.

I had Ernie Ball 8's on and yes they snapped too easily! Thanks for the tip, will try the EB 10's out.

I have a Yamaha BBN5 bass which has the original strings from new, never changed them in 12 years, and I do play it a lot. I have removed the strings a few times and given them a boil in some water which makes them play nicely. I would never part with this bass; every time somebody not familiar with it has a go, they say "Bloody hell, it has the action of a lead guitar!" I must admit it is very light to play.

Personally I find Ernie Balls poor to intonate. I recommend Dean Markley or Rotosound or D'Addario (for the "green" packaging attributes and the nice smooth feel).

The truss rod is merely the tool to adjust that "bend" or bow (as in bow and arrow, not boat bow) out of the neck. Lighter strings, and the setup of the guitar for these strings lends itself to being easier affected. Heavier strings = more neck tension = harder for it to be affected by temperature.

Boiling strings is a bass player thing due to cost per set (even though you can get a reasonable set for under £10) but the strings do fatigue still and will be poorly intonated if checked on a tuner. This won't really be apparent if playing solo for your own amusement though.

Thanks for useful tips and info. Have taken them on board (literally :) )

Yet presumably you're happy to talk about "a plethora", which is actually the plural of the Greek word "plethos" :lol:

I am.

Like "data", plethora is a full English word, with a meaning quite distinct from that of the original word. It is correct in English to say "The data is" because "data", in English, is a collective noun (like milk). "Plethora", in English, means a great many, like the colloquial meaning of the Hindi word "lakhs".

I realise that "media" is becoming a distinct English word, but during this transitional period I prefer to use the word correctly in the probably forlorn hope that the tide of ignorance might be turned.

I don't disagree with anything that you have quoted.

Indeed not. It merely represents a greater knowledge of the language that that posessed by many who seek to form ridiculous Latinesque plurals that have no linguistic basis.

And my Latin O-Level isn't circa 1982. In the summer of 1982, I was only in the Lower fourth, and O-levels were a distant threat!

Unless the lower fourth you're referring to was in primary school, I'd say that you still did your Latin O level "around or about" 1982. "Around or about" is what circa means, Dave. I'd have thought, being possessed of a Latin O level, you would have known that.

My Latin O-level was acquired in 1982.

I sat my Latin O-level in the summer of 1985.

I gained my classical education at an establisment that retained the use of traditional numbering for the year groups

Lower 4th is what would nowadays be known as Year 8

I'm never quite sure whether you're being serious or not Dave but ...

You say your boast of a Latin O level was based on the assumption that you had the greater knowledge, and remembering the discussion started with you telling Carl he was wrong, I'm afraid it falls flat (even if your O Level is 3 years younger than his :))

And circa 1982 I think happily encompasses 1985 in the grand scheme of things IMHO

When you get to our age being 3 years younger isn't that bigger deal is it :-)

Hope this helps... ;)

Yes, it helped very much. Thank you. :)

P.S. I appreciate that you've had enough of guitars when you return to your boat, but do you mind if I PM you for some advice on the purchase of a decent classical guitar, that won't break the bank?

Bloody hell Catweasel, how old are you......? :P

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Excuse me Madam, do you have the chord arrangement for a song called 'The Young Ones' ?.

Q. "Who wrote it?".

A. "I think it was by some guy called Hans Florian Zimmer".

29uptlg.jpg

Edited by Doorman