Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

He was checking his profile on here at about 11pm,i think last Wednesday.

So, he's still lurking then....

He surely will be pleased to see such interest in his disappearance. Even more than when Lord Lucan rode into the sunset on Shergar.

Mike

But will it be like The Hartlepool Canoe man and him make a 'miraculous' reappearance

Only if there's a thread on insurance fraud! :P

I thought he'd rejoined as "the guitardoctor" ???

Nooooooooooo, Chris isn't that knowledgeable... :)

Edited by Doorman

Claiming authority over the lexicographers, classicists and linguists, who work to compile the most respected English language dictionary in the World, because you've got a latin o'level is somewhat pretentious, Dave.

;)

As I believe I have said before;

The OED is a book of reference to the language as it is actually used. It is not, and it does not claim to be, a prescriptive work, defining how the language SHOULD be used.

I claim no authority whatsoever over them in the context of the work they have produced. I accept that it accurately reports the usage of affected Latin and Greek plural forms by those who speak the language.

As it is silent on the matter of which of those forms has any stylistic or linguistic legitimacy, my assertions cannot be claiming any authority over the learned compilers, for they have offered no opinion on the issue that I might be said to be claiming authority

As I believe I have said before;

The OED is a book of reference to the language as it is actually used. It is not, and it does not claim to be, a prescriptive work, defining how the language SHOULD be used.

I claim no authority whatsoever over them in the context of the work they have produced. I accept that it accurately reports the usage of affected Latin and Greek plural forms by those who speak the language.

As it is silent on the matter of which of those forms has any stylistic or linguistic legitimacy, my assertions cannot be claiming any authority over the learned compilers, for they have offered no opinion on the issue that I might be said to be claiming authority

Dear Dave,

The OED makes no distinction between the spellings of "dispatch" and "despatch". Please will you tell me which one is correct?

So the person that believes the Anglicised version should be used at all times has an opinion (and sticks to it, despite a multitude of examples that disprove his rule) and the person that believes both forms are acceptable also has an opinion.

Neither is right or wrong, they just believe they are right, which was what I have been saying all along.

I'm not saying you are wrong, Dave, I am merely saying I'm not wrong either.

i had that thought as well.

You really think Gibbo would lower the intellectual level argument to such a level?

I've had some almighty rows with Gibbo, in the past, but he's never used crayon to write his responses.

Dear Dave,

The OED makes no distinction between the spellings of "dispatch" and "despatch". Please will you tell me which one is correct?

Then there is "collectibles" and "collectables", or "shown" and "shewn" although the latter is referred to as archaic.

• 1 month later...

It would appear that Gibbo has stopped contributing to the Forum because a joke posted by him was removed by one of the moderators. I did not see the joke so I cannot make any judgement.

Despite his sometimes non PC comments, I think the Forum will be a poorer place without Chris Gibson's expert advice on Electrical matters, we are now down from three to only one resident Electrics Expert, so it's all on your shoulders now Snibble.

WHERE THE HELL IS HE.....COME BACK ALL IS FORGIVEN........... :D Happy new year Gibbo........

I think Walk don't run ''John Barry Seven''?,was Juke box juries theme tune?. bizzard.

In 1977...when 22...I spent the night with John Barry's sister in law..Barbara...

Anyway....where is Gibbo..?

Happy New year Gibbo..the best contributor on CWDF !!

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean it's acceptable, as you well know. Try calling people c*nts for example.

Perhaps you could use this thing called judgement, or this other thing called politeness.

I do agree that it is a word i would not choose to use but i thought it was an American abusive term not a British one we have many of our own. I have seen the term attached to paint colour by a mainstream paint manufacturer and i am fairly sure as a fabric colour. As with other swear word abusive terms change,calling a person colured used to be acceptable then not similarly black,then the correct reference was Afro-Caribbean in this particular stereotype now that is wrong and should be African-carabean because afro is a hairstyle and so not acceptable.Words are just words, it is the intent behind them that is offensive.I enjoy a joke but there are alot out there that make me feel uncomfortable, i consider them viscous and unfeeling but audiences seem to laugh at them.I would not have the difficult job of moderation for banker pay. :rolleyes:

Happy new year to you all. :cheers:

I do agree that it is a word i would not choose to use but i thought it was an American abusive term not a British one we have many of our own.

Norse, I believe, from "Twaite" meaning "forest clearing" or "place".

I think (but may have fallen victim to an urban legend) that there is a village in Scotland called "Twatt" which has the same origins.