Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Indeed not. It merely represents a greater knowledge of the language that that posessed by many who seek to form ridiculous Latinesque plurals that have no linguistic basis.

And my Latin O-Level isn't circa 1982. In the summer of 1982, I was only in the Lower fourth, and O-levels were a distant threat!

My Latin O-level was acquired in 1982.

Presumably you will claim yours gives you higher authority because it's more fresh. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't you lot be better off learning Urdu and it's dialects or Romanian or the like? hic hac hoc,scuse me I've been drinking[Fursty Ferret,$8.00 a bottle but very nice] but you know I'm right,anyway "absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat".

Unless the lower fourth you're referring to was in primary school, I'd say that you still did your Latin O level "around or about" 1982. "Around or about" is what circa means, Dave. I'd have thought, being possessed of a Latin O level, you would have known that.

I sat my Latin O-level in the summer of 1985.

I gained my classical education at an establisment that retained the use of traditional numbering for the year groups

Lower 4th is what would nowadays be known as Year 8

Wouldn't you lot be better off learning Urdu and it's dialects or Romanian or the like? hic hac hoc,scuse me I've been drinking[Fursty Ferret,$8.00 a bottle but very nice] but you know I'm right,anyway "absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat".

Staken and not slurred pliz.

O.K Bizzard I'll try not to sprill it.Left a couple in the freezer in my shed so had better go and check them.Worth a trip over for some real ale and more of this stuff and some Bishops finger.Better scarper off before I'm screamed at for bad spelling,manners or off the topic.

And my Latin O-Level isn't circa 1982.

From the Oxford dictionary;

Circa

Pronunciation:/ˈsəːkə/

preposition

(often preceding a date) approximately:

the church was built circa 1860

Origin:

mid 19th century: Latin

I sat my Latin O-level in the summer of 1985.

Did you pass it?

Edited by Nine of Hearts

That would be the same year that my Dad didn't sit his Latin O-level.

You mean he did sit it in every other year?

Shows persistence, but if he had worked harder, he might only have had to take it once.

Is that the plural of "circus"?

Hmmm, interesting. I'd have thought it more likely to be a plural of "circum", generally used in English to denote a single lap, such as "circumnavigate" or "circumcise" (ouch!). "Circa" in that sense would mean going round again and again. So very appropriate for this thread, methinks.

My Latin O-level was acquired in 1982.

Presumably you will claim yours gives you higher authority because it's more fresh. :rolleyes:

More fresh ? Bet you didn't get any prizes for English.Fresher.Recens.[sigh]

More fresh ? Bet you didn't get any prizes for English.Fresher.Recens.[sigh]

Not one.

Then again, as your sentence (or sentences, it's hard to tell) makes no grammatical sense whatsoever, I guess you didn't, either.(sigh)

Edited by carlt