Using a 3 Dongle and Outlook Express

tosher

Featured Posts

Help -- I use a 3 Dongle with my laptop top get internet access when onboard the boat. My ISP is Force 9 (Plus Net) who use "Squirel Mail" to send and receive e-mails. This is a bit restrictive and not as easy to use as Outlook express. I can use Outlet Express ok when at home on my broadband connection but can't seem to make it work with the Dongle. Is it possible to use Outlook Express with a 3 Dongle? and if so how??? Thanks. tosher.

Help -- I use a 3 Dongle with my laptop top get internet access when onboard the boat. My ISP is Force 9 (Plus Net) who use "Squirel Mail" to send and receive e-mails. This is a bit restrictive and not as easy to use as Outlook express. I can use Outlet Express ok when at home on my broadband connection but can't seem to make it work with the Dongle. Is it possible to use Outlook Express with a 3 Dongle? and if so how??? Thanks. tosher.

Three annoyingly blocks port 25 which is the standard port for SMTP outgoing mail. If you can receive but not send, this is probably the problem. You need to change the port for the outgoing mail server in Outlook Express. Typical ports that your mail provider might support are 587 and 465. Try both, one may work.

Three annoyingly blocks port 25 which is the standard port for SMTP outgoing mail. If you can receive but not send, this is probably the problem. You need to change the port for the outgoing mail server in Outlook Express. Typical ports that your mail provider might support are 587 and 465. Try both, one may work.

Thanks for that nickorman. It is as you describe - I can receive but not send. I have just tried both 587 & 465 in the outgoing mail server but afraid both failed to work. ????

We have a 3 dongle and windows 7 on the laptop. For some reason Lynn can't down load Outlook express the lap top Windows 7 just doesn't seem to accept it.

Anyway so we can send and receive mail Lynn opened a Hotmail account, you can receive all your e-mail addresses through Hotmail by entering all the e-mail account info, you can only send e-mail through your new chosen Hotmail e-mail addresses though. It does allow us to pick up all the business and home e-mails.

We're not very technical though, so there's probably better ways of sending / receiving mail.

Thanks for that nickorman. It is as you describe - I can receive but not send. I have just tried both 587 & 465 in the outgoing mail server but afraid both failed to work. ????

Check with your ISP to see if they support SSL for email. You'll need to enable it in outlook as well and change to the correct port.

Alot of ISPs block port 25 and sending email from outside to stop spam.

Another method would be to use GMail, benefit over hotmail is that you can get it to pick up your normal ISP email and also look like you can sending from it, as well as having a good web interface it will work outlook.

I hav e the same problem with my orange email address using a Vodafone dongle.

However my GMX account works fine, although I have changed the port to 587 from 25.

GMX is worth a look for free email - gmx.co.uk.

Three requires you to send email via their SMTP server. I don't have my email running at the moment so I don't have the fine details. I don't recall having to change the server port as someone else suggested - but I may be wrong.

There is probably an option to select / change outgoing servers in Outlook Express (I use Mozilla Thunderbird which does allow this and works fine with Three). The outgoing server can be completely different from your email address(es) and the same outgoing server can be used with several email addresses.

ETA there is no need to have a Three email address to use their outgoing server. I think if you Google for Three SMTP you should get the details.

Edited by Robin2

I struggled to set up my iPad for outgoing mail on Three, but changing the port worked for me! Have you set the "outgoing mail server requires authentication" password? Another issue can be that your Plusnet server doesn't like be sent email from an external ISP. Sometimes you can tell the server to accept a particular ISP, have a look for settings in the webmail interface. Don't Plusnet advertise as having UK call centres? You have to be pretty desperate to refer this sort of problem to a help line but it might just turn up something!

I use a 3 dongle on outlook express on both the laptop and desktop.

I just copied the settings I used on the desktop onto the laptop and it all works. However some time ago I did have to do something frustrating with BT Internet so I could send mail with a TB-Training From address via the BT mail server. I also think I had to alter the port at this time as well but as far as I know that was only on the desktop.

Three requires you to send email via their SMTP server. I don't have my email running at the moment so I don't have the fine details. I don't recall having to change the server port as someone else suggested - but I may be wrong.

There is probably an option to select / change outgoing servers in Outlook Express (I use Mozilla Thunderbird which does allow this and works fine with Three). The outgoing server can be completely different from your email address(es) and the same outgoing server can be used with several email addresses.

ETA there is no need to have a Three email address to use their outgoing server. I think if you Google for Three SMTP you should get the details.

Strange I use this laptop at home via BTinternet and on the boat using 3 I use my BT address, my domain address and gmail on pop3 and the only thing I ever changed was the port when I first started using it. It moves seamlessly from landline to 3 for me

Thank you so much for posting this reply! I have been using Outlook with both gmail and btinternet account for years, but suddenly I could receive but not send email on my Btinternet account -- I've had problems with Btinternet in the past, so I didn't think to connect it with changing over to a 3 dongle -- particularly as I made the change gradually, sometimes using my old Orange dongle, and also sometimes sending email from friends' houses, Starbucks, etc. I was blaming BT (so easy)

This time they weren't guilty. Changing the port has solved the problem.

You are a star.

Three allow port 26 which my email provider has enabled to get around this problem (not only with Three) but your email provider will have to enable this.

if you try 465 which is not disabled by Three then you will have to set Secure Authentication for Outlook to work properly.

The next step is to ask your email provider what other ports they allow.

Three allow port 26 which my email provider has enabled to get around this problem (not only with Three) but your email provider will have to enable this.

if you try 465 which is not disabled by Three then you will have to set Secure Authentication for Outlook to work properly.

If you set your outgoing SMTP server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk and the port to 25 you should have no trouble and no need for authentication.

Edited by Robin2

If you set your outgoing SMTP server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk and the port to 25 you should have no trouble and no need for authentication.

But then it will only work when connected with the Three dongle.

Tony

But then it will only work when connected with the Three dongle.

Tony

Yes. If you want it to work on another connection select the original SMTP server.

Actually it might work without being changed back if the other ISP is less picky than Three.

Edited by Robin2

Thanks for all the advice, tried everything without success. Next step is to contact my ISP. Will post if successful. tosher

Thanks for all the advice, tried everything without success. Next step is to contact my ISP. Will post if successful. tosher

Have also had this problem on the boat with the 3 dongle and Outlook. Receiving OK, but sending does not work. Am on BT at home and no problems. My email is part of a domain name as in for instance ab@cdefg.co.uk , so the work around I used was to use 'webmail', putting in the domain name, pass word and server id where requested. For out going mail it works a treat on the boat as it is web based like Hotmail etc, and bypasses the 3 email blockages and no change of port settings when plugged in at home, thus avoiding any conflicts between the dongle and the normal setup. If you are on Bt for instance and have a BT email address they will give you the webmail settings. At the end of the day all email is web based; isp's just seem to wan't to make it more complicated than it really is.

• 1 month later...

Problem solved --- After talking to 3 about this problem it was resolved by changing my SMTP server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk and the port to 25, exactly what Robin 2 said, and outlook express now works fine. It does only work this way when using my 3 dongle, if I change back to my broad band connection at home then I do have to revert back to my original SMTP server, which is exactly what "whatever" said. I'm happy now so thanks to everyone. tosher.

I always recommend that people use a webmail account. I much prefer using Yahoo's servers to keep my information rather then keeping just one copy on my own computer - why take the risk of losing it all if you have a disk go pop? Nope, use yahoo, gmail, hotmail whatever you're happiest with and you have the ability to access your email (and contacts, calendar, even documents if you use Google) from whatever computer you like, or smartphone, or tablet....

Also, you can change ISP whenever you like without changing your email address.

I always recommend that people use a webmail account. I much prefer using Yahoo's servers to keep my information rather then keeping just one copy on my own computer - why take the risk of losing it all if you have a disk go pop? Nope, use yahoo, gmail, hotmail whatever you're happiest with and you have the ability to access your email (and contacts, calendar, even documents if you use Google) from whatever computer you like, or smartphone, or tablet....

Also, you can change ISP whenever you like without changing your email address.

Agreed.