Smart Gauge vs Nasa BM-1

Waynerrr

Featured Posts

What are those big black things with 221 pressed into them that look like piezo sounders?

Shielded/screened inductors. One as part of the high voltage spike protection, one in the switching power supply.

Edited by Gibbo

2N3055s surely?

You know, as I typed it I thought "That's not right..."

I found them - they were behind a bunch of PL509s.

Even more :smiley_offtopic: a cousin of mine used to do TV repairs. One day he got a call from an elderly lady that "The picture is dripping out of the TV and getting smaller and smaller". When he got to the house, he could see that a failing paper wax capacitor had indeed been dripping its wax out of the back of the TV onto her floor, and as a consequence the EHT had dropped, causing a slowly collapsing raster ;)

Tony

2N3055s surely?

They're over there between the tin of AF117s and the box of OC72s

Well you can ditch the AF117s, they'll all have internal shorts from tin-whiskers by now.

MP. (Who can still tell you the functions of at least a couple of dozen 74-series TLL part-numbers from memory.)

You know, as I typed it I thought "That's not right..."

I found them - they were behind a bunch of PL509s.

Even more :smiley_offtopic: a cousin of mine used to do TV repairs. One day he got a call from an elderly lady that "The picture is dripping out of the TV and getting smaller and smaller". When he got to the house, he could see that a failing paper wax capacitor had indeed been dripping its wax out of the back of the TV onto her floor, and as a consequence the EHT had dropped, causing a slowly collapsing raster ;)

Tony

Any connection with Bob Marley? ;)

Roger

Totally bewildered of Skipton

Any idea how he worked out the remaining capacity?? I seem to be in a similar position to you regarding failing battery capacity and would like to be able to confirm this before spending big. tosher.

Charge the batt fully, then count how many amp hours can be used until the batt voltage remains below 12.2V all the time (or your Smartgauge says 50%).

Double the figure and compare it to the batt's rated capacity, to get some idea of the batt's 'state of health'.

cheers,

Pete.

Well you can ditch the AF117s, they'll all have internal shorts from tin-whiskers by now.

MP. (Who can still tell you the functions of at least a couple of dozen 74-series TLL part-numbers from memory.)

It's all FPGAs and microprocessors now. The sight of a board full of 74 & 54 series TTL was a glory to behold - don't get me started about 4000 series! How the world changes. I've gone from transistors where I had 1,000,000 on a piece of silicon the size of a postage stamp to single transistors the size of a small paperback, still it will take 500A at 650V!

Edited by Chalky

Charge the batt fully, then count how many amp hours can be used until the batt voltage remains below 12.2V all the time (or your Smartgauge says 50%).

Double the figure and compare it to the batt's rated capacity, to get some idea of the batt's 'state of health'.

cheers,

Pete.

Thanks for that smileypete I will try your method using my smartgauge, it sounds a bit easier than Gibbo's explanation which is a bit beyond me I'm afraid. tosher.

So there I was earlier today,walking the streets of Watford having had three encounters with Santander (Abbey National to you and me) with the prospect of another one once I receive a replacement plastic card which I then have to return to them (don't ask).I suddenly felt the need for retail therapy. Passing Maplins I found myself enticed inside and sold a Smart Gauge. It's all the fault of the propaganda on this site.

Frank

So there I was earlier today,walking the streets of Watford having had three encounters with Santander (Abbey National to you and me) with the prospect of another one once I receive a replacement plastic card which I then have to return to them (don't ask).I suddenly felt the need for retail therapy. Passing Maplins I found myself enticed inside and sold a Smart Gauge. It's all the fault of the propaganda on this site.

Frank

They sell'em in Maplins now? Bah! How common! Hurry up and do they new design Gibbo, we need some exclusive electronics!

MP. (who has an ancient Ah counter like this......)

LINK10.jpg

Edited by MoominPapa

cheers,

Pete.

Unless they're AGMs which have a lower voltage.

What voltage would they be at 50%? Got a link?

cheers,

Pete.

Again no idea, Gibbo thinks the lower voltage is caused when plate gradually sheds and is prevented from dropping away by the glass mat. FLA batts allow this material to fall away to the bottom of the casing, that's why they stay the same voltage throughout their useful life whereas AGM voltage reduces, I assume not in a predictable way, perhaps Gibbo can confirm that or not?