Tooley's Boat Yard

Ray T

Featured Posts

:D

Ill tell you whats become of the rest of it. A first class proffesional operation that does what it says on the tin. ( No I have no involvement with them ) Last month I took my boat to their dry dock and they checked her over cleaned the hull fitted new anodes and blacked her all within the specified time scale and all very well done with a very infomative report without trying to sell me anything I did not need. All in all First class staff and job.

It is not possible in 2010 to keep things looking as they may have done 200 years ago and still remain in business, if they need to do Father christmas then so be it if it keeps them afloat as it where. I for one ( and many more of us on the Oxford ) will continue to use their services.

Pity you didn't get them to top up your diesel tank before you headed home :lol::lol::lol:

I quite agree with Mrsmelly. I don't enjoy seeing Thomas the Tank Engine (or, as I think of him, Womas The....) trundling down the track, but there's no doubt that "Thomas" events help generate the revenue needed to keep some of Britain's preserved railways in business.

I quite agree with Mrsmelly. I don't enjoy seeing Thomas the Tank Engine (or, as I think of him, Womas The....) trundling down the track, but there's no doubt that "Thomas" events help generate the revenue needed to keep some of Britain's preserved railways in business.

I believe Thomas is there for the benefit of my sons, 9 and 4, not you or me.

I hate the Thomas events, far too many people, but if it gets kids interested in preserving our heritage, maybe we should hang a stupid face on President's cratch board.

I hate the Thomas events, far too many people, but if it gets kids interested in preserving our heritage, maybe we should hang a stupid face on President's cratch board.

To be fair, I doubt that the Thomas themed days are meant to get the kids 'interested in our heritage'. I spend a small ( :wacko: ) fortune on Thomas related 'merchandise' when my, then about 2-3 years old, daugther took to Thomas in a big way. We also visited several Thomas themed days at railway sites. So, by now, my 6 year old daugther is fully conversed with saddle tanks and 2-6-0 mainline engines, and eager to preserve them for future generations? Ahh, no, she is now more interested in 'Moxy\Girlz' or something (It gets harder to keep up with the latest 'must have'..)

Trains are stupid, and for boys....

:blush:

You'll have to explain that, unless it's a north/south divide thing?

At least I didn't get my folding bike stolen in Banbury.

Tone

Nah, they're both up north from where I am.

Worksop has become grim through a natural process of decay; Banbury has been deliberately made grim.

The only place I've ever had anything nicked is Wolverhampton, but I still prefer it to Banbury.

So are you prepared to accept that President is still a "heritage" boat despite it's various rebuildings and renovations.

Perhaps it wasn't you, but I seem to remember people arguing that there was not a lot of "heritage" left in it, whether it's actually President or not ?

Mind you, I think your idea could catch on as an alternative to "Considerate Boater", and could show some the error of their ways.

"Now that was not good", the Fat Controller told President, sternly, "a 'really useful boat' does not cause a wash, or pull another boat off its moorings, however bad it has been".......

(Best delivered in a dean pan Ringo Starr voice...)

Edited by alan_fincher

I concur entirely, Mr. T.

There is a precedent for stupid faces on Presidents, as any photo of George W. Bush will confirm.

So are you prepared to accept that President is still a "heritage" boat despite it's various rebuildings and renovations.

To be honest, Alan, I don't think President or any other "heritage" boat's past matters, if it can be utilised to save what is being lost, now and in the future.

(Best delivered in a dean pan Ringo Starr voice...)

It might also be worth pointing out that Ringo Starr only narrated the series for a couple of years, whereas Michael Angelis (Crissy from 'boys from the Black Stuff') has been doing it for 9 years, so far.

To be honest, Alan, I don't think President or any other "heritage" boat's past matters, if it can be utilised to save what is being lost, now and in the future.

It might also be worth pointing out that Ringo Starr only narrated the series for a couple of years, whereas Michael Angelis (Crissy from 'boys from the Black Stuff') has been doing it for 9 years, so far.

I'm sure I can remember a 45 record from when I was small of two Thomas stories narrated by Johnny Morris

Richard

I'm sure I can remember a 45 record from when I was small of two Thomas stories narrated by Johnny Morris

Richard

That would have been before the whole thing was 'repackaged' for the mass market. I seem to remember hearing something like that on the wireless.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I know that, but curiously always preferred Ringo.

I could never get on with the Michael Angelis version, but there you go!

I agree Tooley's looks 'scruffy' and quite out of place in the middle of a modern shopping centre, but compare it to the remanent of the great Bulls Bridge depot. Oh yes, a dry dock was preserved within the development - with a low bridge over it's entrance to prevent it ever being used! Now it is a forgotten rubbish dump and occasional latrine. It is pathetic in comparison with Banbury.

Have you got anything positive to say about Banbury at all?

I'll give it a go......

Arthur Whitcher is a particularly traditional gentleman's outfitters, where even when dressed in my scruffiest scruffiest, I was consistently addressed as "sir" by the immaculately suited man behind the counter.

It proved to be a veritable treasure trove, and I was able to pick up several pairs of socks, (although the receipt said "gentleman's hose"!), of a durable and favourite type, often hard to find.

I have to admit, though, apart from Arthur Whitcher, and his sock stock, I'm struggling on the topic of using both the words Banbury and positive in the same sentence. (Perhaps we just arrived there on one of its less good days?).

EDITED: For errors.

Edited by alan_fincher

Here's some positive things about Banbury.

The bus station is handy for the canal, the diesel is reasonably cheap, and Morrisons is within reach.

Then there's the smell of coffee. The museum is great, and so is it's cafe, and the folks are friendly.

Then, just up the road you have Cropredy where the best folk group in the world hold the best annual festivals.

And touring around the area by bus or car is a must. The rural scenery is fantastic and the pubs are great.

I spent a week in and around Banbury, on three occasions. Love it.

Tone

I have to admit, though, apart from Arthur Whitcher, and his sock stock, I'm struggling on the topic of using both the words Banbury and positive in the same sentence. (Perhaps we just arrived there on one of its less good days?).

Ye Olde Reindeer on Parsons Street is worth a special trip to Banbury alone. A largely unspoilt town centre pub, serving the full range of Hook Norton ales.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I'll give it a go......

Arthur Whitcher is a particularly traditional gentleman's outfitters, where even when dressed in my scruffiest scruffiest, I was consistently addressed as "sir" by the immaculately suited man behind the counter.

It proved to be a veritable treasure trove, and I was able to pick up several pairs of socks, (although the receipt said "gentleman's hose"!), of a durable and favourite type, often hard to find.

EDITED: For errors.

Slightly off topic but I have compiled 10 things of interest about Banbury.

1. Tom Rolt - Most of you will know this one, Rolt had his boat Cressy fitted out at Tooley's in Banbury and features in the book he came to write called "Narrow Boat". With this compelling acount of his adventures he enthused others to take to the waterways and, determined to preserve this hidden gem, was a founding father of the Inland Waterways Association in 1946.:boat:

2. Banbury Cross - Famous throughout the english speaking world. The Present Banbury cross was built in the 1800s, but the original cross predates this and was suposedly first mentioned in 1478. Aswell as The main Cross, Market Cross or High Cross there was also White Cross and Bread Cross. However all of these crosses were destroyed at the end of Queen Elizabeth's reign by Puritans because they felt the Crosses were pagan. :argue:

3. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift was born and raised in Banbury. He wrote the book Gulliver's Travels in a room at the Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury around 1726. He also referenced the town in the book saying that the Gulliver family were from Banbury. Within the graveyard of St MAry's Church the tomb stones which bear the surname 'Gulliver' are surposed to reside. They are said to be the inspiration for the title of the main character.

4. The Reindeer Inn - The Inns' heavy wooden doors still bear the inscription "Anno Din 1570" and it is said that in the pub's back room Oliver Cromwell planned the strategy for the first main battle of the civil war, Edge Hill. Back then this part of the town was said to be the rough part where heavy drinking and fornicating went on, so pretty much the same as now. :clapping:

5. Alcan - The old aluminium plant in Banbury was crucial in the manufacture of new planes for the RAF, including it's fleet of Spitfires.

At that time the Northern Aluminium Company factory, known locally as "The Ally", was the UK's only major aluminium-rolling and extrusion plant, employing thousands of people. Without it the Battle of Britain could have been lost, changing the course of history, it is claimed. B)

6. Kraft Foods (General Foods/GF) - It's estimated that the Kraft Foods plant in Banbury produces around around 11 billion cups of coffee a year and is one of the largest soluble coffee manufacturing plants in the world. :blink:

7. Banbury Fair - The present day fair is held around the same time as the 'great hiring fair' which was held on the first Thursday after Old Michaelmas Day. Hiring Fairs or Mop Fairs took place so that servants, laborers and tradesman could be matched with employers who required their services, so was a kind of early recruitment agency, we have "Pertemps" now. The fair is now officially called 'The Michaelmas Fair' and represents a tradition that dates back over several centuries. It is a noisey, vibrant and well attended funfair held right in the centre of town.

8. The 'Banbury Sun' - The Banbury Council motto, 'Dominus Nobis Sol et Scutum', which is Latin for 'The Lord is a sun and a shield' dates back to 1554. It came into being when Banbury was given a Royal Charter. Historically the Sun is the symbol for Banbury and If you walk around the town you will see the Sun emblem adorning the old buildings, lamp posts, flags, shops and pathways.

9. Cropredy Festival - This is strictly four miles out of town, so not really about Banbury but I thought I'd put it in. "Fairport" as it is known locally has been held annually just ouside Banbury since the 1970s so the audience includes children (and even grandchildren) of festival-goers who've been coming back year after year. It's probably one of the largest folk festivals in the UK. As you can imagion there is plenty of Ale and Cider there. Also the bar is easily 50 - 60 ft long! :cheers:

and...

10. Arthur Witcher - The purveyor gentleman's hose, apparently! :wub:

(As you can see I love my home town! Sad I know :lol:

Edited by kitman

Hi Kitman.

Thank you for your list of interesting aspect of Banbury.

I have liked to 'go into' Banbury whilst at the boat in Clattercote (Cropredy) for the past five years and have known it to be not as bad as others have indicated here.

There's other members of the forum that live in the vicinity.

There's a good chippie just up the road from the corner light shop. Don't know the name.

Martyn