Cheap alternatives to Shoreline fridges?

Chrissyboy

Featured Posts

In terms of 12V fridges not really there are the Weaco fridges but they are a similar price but a bit cheaper usually.

If you want a cheaper unit cost then a 240V will be the way to go but of course it will have to run from a suitable inverter set-up and will potentially cost more lecky from the batteries to run due to the conversion losses etc.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply.

The person that buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey

John Ruskin

and

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all.

When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.

And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.

JOHN RUSKIN (1819 - 1900)

:closedeyes:

Edited by bottle

You pays your money and you takes your choice ....

I made my choice and went for a bosh classix 240v fridge freezer and inverter

Yes it does use slightly more power when off the moorings but as I spend a fair while connected to a shore line it was a no brainer.

Not true.

The quality of most 12v fridges is appalling.

Some of the shoreline models use exactly the same cabinets as the 240 volt LEC ones available for c £80.

Doors rust and seals drop to bits after a few years.

LEC use to sell a 12/24 volt fridge direct to the public and well over a £100 less than you could buy a low voltage LEC anywhere else. I don't know if Shoreline are retailing LEC low voltage fridges or converting their own.

LEC use to sell a 12/24 volt fridge direct to the public and well over a £100 less than you could buy a low voltage LEC anywhere else. I don't know if Shoreline are retailing LEC low voltage fridges or converting their own.

Our fridge, a LEC 12/24v from Midland Chandlers identical to Shoreline model, kept cutting out if voltage dipped, spoke to Shoreline who told me how to do a simple mod which raised the cutout voltage when on 24v, not a problem on 12v. They even offered to post me the part, a small jump lead, free of charge. LEC told me it couldn't be done.

I'm guessing mass production levels dictate prices meaning 12v fridges cost more to make and hence cost more to buy...

At last someone else has the sense to realise that production quantities have a direct bearing on price, this is a point I have made on previous occasions, and I am more than happy with our "under counter" fridge and our "under counter" freezer, both Shoreline which are LEC rebadged and reworked and fitted with what are probably the best compressors which are Danfos.

Phil

At last someone else has the sense to realise that production quantities have a direct bearing on price, this is a point I have made on previous occasions, and I am more than happy with our "under counter" fridge and our "under counter" freezer, both Shoreline which are LEC rebadged and reworked and fitted with what are probably the best compressors which are Danfos.

Phil

Our LEC 12/24v has identical compressor to the Shoreline, namely the Danfoss BV35.

I think Shoreline leave the compressor in LECs and just modify the electrics, both fridges are similar price anyway.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there are any good alternatives to a Shoreline 12v fridge please? At £400 - £500 they ain't cheap!

Regards

Chris

No they aren't.....but we saved a bit when we bought ours at one of Midland Chandler's occasional "20% off everything" Fridays.

Before shelling out your hard earned cash on a Shoreline fridge read this thread:- http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32344&st=0&p=571559&hl=shoreline&fromsearch=1entry571559

Eight weeks on and despite three emails to Shoreline, along with their reassuring replies, I am still waiting for the replacement unit to arrive! I am not impressed with their level of customer care.

Before shelling out your hard earned cash on a Shoreline fridge read this thread:- http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32344&st=0&p=571559&hl=shoreline&fromsearch=1entry571559

Eight weeks on and despite three emails to Shoreline, along with their reassuring replies, I am still waiting for the replacement unit to arrive! I am not impressed with their level of customer care.

We have a Shoreline fridge/freezer, new in August. It was quite noisy and I complained to Shoreline and the supplier exchanged it. The replacement was marginally quieter but despite to complaints to Shoreline they have yet to respond.

They originally told me this was one of their quietest units. I'd hate to live with the noisiest!

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

We have a Shoreline fridge/freezer, new in August. It was quite noisy and I complained to Shoreline and the supplier exchanged it. The replacement was marginally quieter but despite to complaints to Shoreline they have yet to respond.

They originally told me this was one of their quietest units. I'd hate to live with the noisiest!

Regards

Pete

We have a Waeco (same compressor) and it's really difficult to hear if the fridge is working or not, it's so quiet.

Tony

Regards

Pete

I have to admit that the fridge is almost silent in operation, but if the radio is on we cannot hear it for the loud interference noise.

An update. I have just received an email from Shorelune informing me that the new unit has arrived, so hopefully the problem will be resolved soon.

Not true.

The quality of most 12v fridges is appalling.

Some of the shoreline models use exactly the same cabinets as the 240 volt LEC ones available for c £80.

Doors rust and seals drop to bits after a few years.

yes it is true, although i fully agree with you that the 12 volt fridges are grossly overpriced , the general rule of thumb is that a cheap component will not last

the life time of a quality expensive component. w/ould you expect a lec fridge to last as long as a bosch

I had what I thought was a problem with my Shoreline Fridge/Freezer a few days before we were due to set off on a three week cruise.

I took the fridge/freezer to Shoreline and they ran it up on their test bench and even modified it so that the LED that signals problems could be seen from inside rather than by straining to look round the back. All done for nothing (apart from the drive there and back and my time).

Can't grumble at that.

yes it is true, although i fully agree with you that the 12 volt fridges are grossly overpriced.....

The answer is simple then. Set yourself up in business making 12 volt fridges and make yourself millions of pounds from the huge profits they are clearly making (sarcasm smiley).