IS IT ME

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:lol:

I have just walked back to my boat from the local pub, I do this every day.......as I was walking along close to my boat on a lovely evening I hear ding, ding bloody ding ding from somewhere behind me, now I am walking on a path so I stay walking on the path and realise Ding bloody ding is being emitted by some pratt on a vehicle ( Bicycle ) tearing up behind me. Now said vehicle user has to slow down and wait for me to step onto my boat before carrying on at speed in his lycra.

The question is why do pratts on bikes tear down the towpath when we have perfectly good smooth road systems for their vehicles of which they were designed for......

wasn't me, i was driving the blue van down the towpath!!

in my role as Maintenance Man at the Wey & Arun i often drive up and down the towpath as i did this morning with the van!

mind you i do give way to Dogs, Horses and People (except lycra clad cyclists)!

why do pratts on bikes tear down the towpath

Because they are rude and inconsiderate. I have my suspicions that they have the same defective gene as BMW drivers.

I regularly cycle the towpaths, and manage to have a great time enjoying the scenery and stopping to chat with people on my way. Whilst BW guidlines suggest you should have a bell I think it impolite to go around dinging at people, so I tend to just wait until walkers are aware, and pass at the next covenient wide spot.

Did a 20 mile round trip from Great Bedwyn to Pewsey and back yesterday, and managed it without feeling any need to wear lycra.

Whilst BW guidlines suggest you should have a bell I think it impolite to go around dinging at people, so I tend to just wait until walkers are aware, and pass at the next covenient wide spot.

A bit more than a suggestion - rightly or wrongly the "two tings" thing is the most promoted thing about cycling on London towpaths, and I know they were talking about making it policy for the whole country. (Not sure if this ever went anywhere, or is likely to do so ?).

As has been observed before, (and I'm not condoning Lycra louts here), as a cyclist you genuinely can't win. If you "ting" people they are likely to say "wouldn't it be easier to say excuse me?", but if you try politely speaking to people they tend to say "aren't you supposed to use a bell ?" :lol: :lol:

Myself and the kids were cycling the tow path near our boat today, none of us have bells, but Connor (7) was in front and simply said 'ding ding' when we got near people, and we all thanked them as we rode past... everyone we passed thought this was rather funny too! (the dinging, not the thanking!)

K xx

It's a shame that so many cyclists thinks the tingting means they don't have to slow down but expect walkers (or boaters holding ropes) to leap out of their way. I think it's dangerous.

And what's more I heard recently about an old gent (the dad of a colleague of mine) walking along the towpat with hid dog in Cheshire, got tingtinged by a cyclist but he didn't get out the way. The cyclist punched him and he ended up in hospital.

Although when walking to Chester last weekend I didn't here a chap on a bicycle ride up right behind me, and he slowed right down to a crawl. When it was clear i still hadn't noticed him he very politely said the words: "ting ting" and waited till there was a nettle-free place for me to step out of his way. :lol:

And yesterday i walked to Ellesmere Port along a very overgrown bit of towpath, and saw two cyclists approaching. I headed towards them a bit because I could see a slightly wider piece of towpath without nettles or brambles on it ( I was in a frock so didn't want my bare legs or arms getting stung!), and to their credit, when the cyclists saw me trying to edge into the bushes, they pulled over to one side and beckoned me to pass them instead. How nice!

So not all cyclists are baddies.

I love my days out, they are totally relaxing way of getting away from life's crap. See some lovely things, and meet some great people, boaters, hirers, walkers, and anglers. Whilst a bell may be the rules, I'm not going to spoil anyones elses day out by ringing it.

No target to meet, no rush, no pressure, Great !

A bit more than a suggestion - rightly or wrongly the "two tings" thing is the most promoted thing about cycling on London towpaths, and I know they were talking about making it policy for the whole country. (Not sure if this ever went anywhere, or is likely to do so ?).

As has been observed before, (and I'm not condoning Lycra louts here), as a cyclist you genuinely can't win. If you "ting" people they are likely to say "wouldn't it be easier to say excuse me?", but if you try politely speaking to people they tend to say "aren't you supposed to use a bell ?" :lol: :lol:

I think the issue is that whether by the tinging of a bell, saying excuse me, or a shout of "coming through", there does seem to be an expectation from many cyclists (and I refrain from any judgement as to whether "many" constitutes a majority, large or small or a minority large or small) that having given some kind of warning of their approach the pedestrian is under some kind of obligation to get out of the way before the cyclist gets there.

I think the issue is that whether by the tinging of a bell, saying excuse me, or a shout of "coming through", there does seem to be an expectation from many cyclists (and I refrain from any judgement as to whether "many" constitutes a majority, large or small or a minority large or small) that having given some kind of warning of their approach the pedestrian is under some kind of obligation to get out of the way before the cyclist gets there.

That's my impression too. How would the cyclists like it if motorised vehicles took the same attitude towards cyclists on the roads? (Which they often do of course, but it doesn't make it right)

I saw a vehicle on the towpath today - a copper on an official police trail bike doing patrol work on the towpath along the Northampton Arm of the GU.

What a damned good idea - the towpath has had a lot of money spent improving it and the Arm is noticeably freer of litter, graffiti and general mess. As a result people were out using it, walking, cycling etc.

One up to the local police for doing some active patrolling and helping smarten up the area.

I've often lockwheeled on the old Pashley, and without a bell. My attitude on the towpath is one of pedestrians first. On occassions when I really needed to get past and approaching from behind, I've made a point of asking if I can squeeze past, usually well accepted. But when walking and suddenly being rushed past from behind by a bike without a warning - totally out of order. Ringing a bell in such circumstances may give a warning, but does nothing to engender sympathy, as it suggests the pedestrian is 'in the way'. On the other hand, ringing a bell as a warning when negotiating a supermarket car park, or simply riding along the edge of a road and some person steps across my path or off the kerb without checking for traffic (me), then they deserve little sympathy if suddenly startled back into the world of reality. Bloody pedestrians, bloody cyclists, bloody motorcyclists; car drivers; van drivers - hang on - I'm all of them . . .

Consideration for others - we now get garden disco's 'til midnight from two of our neighbours, and loudly talking oiks walking the streets at 2 and 3am. It's an unpleasantly changing world. I stood at a bus stop one day last week and got spat at by a passing 13yr old on his BMX, who then proceeded to ride all over the adjacent roundabout getting hooted at by cars. Pity they missed him.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

Because they are rude and inconsiderate. I have my suspicions that they have the same defective gene as BMW drivers.

I regularly cycle the towpaths, and manage to have a great time enjoying the scenery and stopping to chat with people on my way. Whilst BW guidlines suggest you should have a bell I think it impolite to go around dinging at people, so I tend to just wait until walkers are aware, and pass at the next covenient wide spot.

Did a 20 mile round trip from Great Bedwyn to Pewsey and back yesterday, and managed it without feeling any need to wear lycra.

Nah!

When I cycle down the towpath on my 1930's oilbath Rudge I find the ding very useful. I go slowly and people politely step to one side. If my ding breaks down I call "ding" which makes people smile.

Ding rules.

N

Absolutely!

N

I saw a vehicle on the towpath today - a copper on an official police trail bike doing patrol work on the towpath along the Northampton Arm of the GU.

What a damned good idea - the towpath has had a lot of money spent improving it and the Arm is noticeably freer of litter, graffiti and general mess. As a result people were out using it, walking, cycling etc.

Ooh <excited> is the Northampton Arm itself any freer of weed, and bottom-too-close-to-the-top, by any chance?

MP.

I have just walked back to my boat from the local pub, I do this every day.......as I was walking along close to my boat on a lovely evening I hear ding, ding bloody ding ding from somewhere behind me, now I am walking on a path so I stay walking on the path and realise Ding bloody ding is being emitted by some pratt on a vehicle ( Bicycle ) tearing up behind me. Now said vehicle user has to slow down and wait for me to step onto my boat before carrying on at speed in his lycra.

The question is why do pratts on bikes tear down the towpath when we have perfectly good smooth road systems for their vehicles of which they were designed for......

I tend to agree - I enjoy cycling but usually walk or carry my machine along the towing path. Canal towing paths are rarely good for bicycles.

K and then you have those that dont believe the rules apply to them and ride mopeds/scooters along the tow path.. and at Ricky one individual has built a small trike and tows a trailer to lug his needs from the town centre past stocker loack and along to his boat,

he was being a " considerate" user when i saw him, but its not quite right, just because he wants to haul stuff a distance and not carry it as he has a line mooring a distance from a good access point... plus how safe is it? it certainly not street legal so to speak.

I don't know why BMW drivers are often singled out as inconsiderate. Since selling our MGB, our only car is a BMW turbo diesel and we both drive it with due care and consideration. We chose the car purely for its practical economy and reliability. Similarly, I do not see why a cyclist wearing garments containing 'Lycra' should be seen as any different to any other cyclist. Personally I prefer traditional cycling apparel made from cotton and wool but that is just personal preference - it doesn't mean that my personality would change if I chose to wear 'Lycra'.

It seems to me that we all are far to quick to label and judge people by the cars they drive or the clothes they wear - or even the boats that they own . . .

Canal towing paths are rarely good for bicycles.

Another rather sweeping generalisation, Graham.

It may well be the case that much of the Oxford is not particularly suitable, I don't know, having not tried it, but I know towpath quality there has traditionally been lower than elsewhere, (right back to Joe Skinner's days!).

But, for example, virtually all the Grand Union / Paddington Arm / Regents is suitable for sensible use of bikes from (say) somewhere North of Milton Keynes, Southwards. (Further North too, if you like, but grassy stretch from Cosgrove to Stoke Bruerne means you need to be fitter!).

There are just a few stretches where caution, or "get off and push" is sensible, but really not that many, so that is many, many miles "good for bicycles".

River Lee, I would say is similar, from observation, (but only cycling some of it).

Clearly masses of the BCN, and the canals approaching Birmingham are also eminently suitable for sensible bike use. (Witness commuters / shoppers on the main line or W&B out towards Kings Norton for example).

The fact that some canals are clearly not suitable, or some cyclists, (like any other cross section of the population) are idiots, doesn't make cycling the right towpaths a bad idea.

Quite a bit of the GU towpath around the Leighton Buzzard area has been upgraded to an official Sustrans cycle route at some expense, so is hopefully "good for cyclists".

The thing that annoys me about the cyclists that seem to believe they own the towpath, is that most don’t know that, 1) then are not allowed to cycle of that part of the towpath (northern Stratford), and 2) on the sections that cycling is allowed on that they should have a permit.

So to me I have a right to be there, walking, but they don’t, so they should at least be considerate and keep a low profile.

Out of interest how many that carry a bike around on their boat for lockwheeling etc, have a permit?

Supposing you had worn Lycra, because, say, you found it easier to hop and off the bike when needing to go under low bridges or around busy locks, or because you were fed up with jeans getting caught on pedals, and didn't like cycle clips, or trousers tucked into socks......

Or because you just get too hot in conventional clothing.......

Supposing you had still cycled the same distance, at the same speed, observing the same courtesy to others......

Then would you suddenly have mutated from an acceptable tow-path cyclist to an unacceptable one ?

The only problem I can see if I were to get back into the Lycra is that I have added more than a few pounds in recent years, and it's not that pleasant for people to have to look at. However compared to some of the sights I see on the towpath, I'm not that bothered, even about that!.......

The thing that annoys me about the cyclists that seem to believe they own the towpath, is that most don’t know that, 1) then are not allowed to cycle of that part of the towpath (northern Stratford), and 2) on the sections that cycling is allowed on that they should have a permit.

So to me I have a right to be there, walking, but they don’t, so they should at least be considerate and keep a low profile.

Out of interest how many that carry a bike around on their boat for lockwheeling etc, have a permit?

a few years back, BW implemented a cycle permit into the price of your license fee, so your covered :lol:

Except London, where the requirement for a permit has been lifted, and anybody can cycle on the tow-paths except where signs explicitly indicate otherwise, (moron cyclists at Little Venice, please note the last bit!).

I may be wrong, but I believe in many areas the use of towpaths is "permissive" - i.e. there is no automatic right to walkers, (or did that get changed ?).

How do you know the cyclists haven't downloaded the relevant permit, (if not London, where they don't need to).

Not sure about this one. It used to be allowed in Licence Conditions once upon a time with no separate permit required.

As the permit system is no longer taken in any way seriously by BW, (log on to a web page - print it out!), why on earth does it make the blindest difference whether someone has bothered or not ? Even when you had to get them re-issued annually from a BW office, I can't recall ever once being challenged to show mine.

The issue surely is about people's behaviour when tooled up with a bike - an inconsiderate tosser with the right piece of paper is no better than the same inconsiderate tosser without the right piece of paper, is he (or she!) ?

Another rather sweeping generalisation, Graham.

It may well be the case that much of the Oxford is not particularly suitable, I don't know, having not tried it, but I know towpath quality there has traditionally been lower than elsewhere, (right back to Joe Skinner's days!).

But, for example, virtually all the Grand Union / Paddington Arm / Regents is suitable for sensible use of bikes from (say) somewhere North of Milton Keynes, Southwards. (Further North too, if you like, but grassy stretch from Cosgrove to Stoke Bruerne means you need to be fitter!).

There are just a few stretches where caution, or "get off and push" is sensible, but really not that many, so that is many, many miles "good for bicycles".

River Lee, I would say is similar, from observation, (but only cycling some of it).

Clearly masses of the BCN, and the canals approaching Birmingham are also eminently suitable for sensible bike use. (Witness commuters / shoppers on the main line or W&B out towards Kings Norton for example).

The fact that some canals are clearly not suitable, or some cyclists, (like any other cross section of the population) are idiots, doesn't make cycling the right towpaths a bad idea.

Quite a bit of the GU towpath around the Leighton Buzzard area has been upgraded to an official Sustrans cycle route at some expense, so is hopefully "good for cyclists".

I said 'rarely' and I maintain that this is the case countrywide - Alan has quoted some exceptions but that is just what they are. Towpaths (especially out in the country) are usually too narrow to allow two cyclists travelling in opposite directions to pass safely without dismounting - in my view that is not 'good'.