IS IT ME

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:lol:

And where in these posts are people saying they dont want other people to use the towpaths ? As for me I love to see walkers, ramblers nature lovers fishing type people boaters etc etc.....what I dont like is people miss using the path by using a road going VEHICLE................there are many many thousands of roads on which to use a vehicle ( bicycle ) without using the canal towpaths...... :lol:

When I am in the U.K. most of my time is spend cycling on the towpaths (with my downloaded cycle permit), as boats are my passion. If I would use the many many thousands of roads on which to use a vehicle (bicycle) I would only very rarely be able to see the boats the locks, canalside pubs, etc. So far I can honestly say that I've never scared, surprised or pushed anyone on my towpath rides and always say hello to everybody, which is normally returned by them. I think that there is room for everybody (if there is respect for one and other), and not just only for the boating boaters.

Peter.

Luckily you dont decide who can or cannot use the canal system so everyone is welcome even miserable boaters!

But it's walkers not boaters who suffer from inconsiderate towpath cyclists. We're defending you!

When I am in the U.K. most of my time is spend cycling on the towpaths (with my downloaded cycle permit), as boats are my passion. If I would use the many many thousands of roads on which to use a vehicle (bicycle) I would only very rarely be able to see the boats the locks, canalside pubs, etc. So far I can honestly say that I've never scared, surprised or pushed anyone on my towpath rides and always say hello to everybody, which is normally returned by them. I think that there is room for everybody (if there is respect for one and other), and not just only for the boating boaters.

Peter.

Thank God for a rare intelligent and thoughtful post amongst all the nonsense being talked!

With the possible exception of some parts of tow-paths in the capital, I can honestly say I have never witnessed any area where it's inconsiderate or unreasonable cyclists that make up anything anywhere near the majority, yet to read some of the nonsense here you would believe most on the tow-paths are maniacs.

Yes there are problem cyclists, (like there are problem boaters, problem anglers, and problem dog owners), but the presence of some idiots in any walk of life is not a reason for a global ban. (None of us would be allowed to drive cars, if that approach was used on the road, for example!....).

As you say Peter, some of us are just canal enthusiasts, and want to spend as much time as we can there, whether by boat, by bike, or by foot, (or just sitting beside). The vast majority of the time, (and I get around a lot!), I see no conflict, and experience no problem or complaint myself.

Bikes have been part of tow-path life ever since someone first decided that you could get ahead to set the next lock more efficiently with one, than without. They are emphatically not an all new phenomenon, I was cycling miles and miles of tow-paths 40 years ago. Lets get some balance, please, and not tar everyone who likes to spend their time a certain way with the idiot behaviour of a smallish minority.

But it's walkers not boaters who suffer from inconsiderate towpath cyclists. We're defending you!

We also "suffer" from inconsiderate and miserable boaters who want to ban bike from the the towpaths maybe you could defend us from them first.

what about the poor boaters who want to use a tractor to pull their barge along, are they to be banned too?

Edited by CanalWalker

Just to be pedantic, under Traffic Law and Rights of Way Law , a bicycle is not classed as a VEHICLE.

Sorry, beg to differ.

A bicycle is a non mechanically propelled vehicle. Many things may be classed as vehicle, Sedan chairs and barges included, but primarily any device on which it can be ridden on or in is a vehicle. Horse drawn carriages are vehicles, but riding a horse is not. Most rights of way acts refer to 'mechanically propelled vehicles' in which a bicycle is not included as it is deemed to be 'muscle propelled', though the latter is an Americanism. The fact is - the prime source of power is 'organic'. Sedan chairs are the anomaly - but they are not too common to require further definition it would appear.

Though it may have pedals, chain and sprockets, 'mechanically propelled' generally describes a 'motorised' vehicle, though bicycles with electric motors are exempt provided they are also fitted with pedals used for propulsion.

In the Countryside Rights of Way act 2000, and the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006, bicycles are spoken of as 'pedal cycles' or 'non-mechanically propelled vehicles', and motorised vehicles as 'mechanically propelled vehicles'.

Very easy to be misled. It's the way they write 'em.

Derek