IS IT ME

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

People love to 'pigeon-hole' others, and love to 'pigeon-hole' themselves. It gives them a sense of 'belonging' to something that is not the status quo, a chance to impress or show off, to be seen as NOT part of the herd. How silly they may look is in the eye of the beholder, but some apparent 'silliness' has practical advantages when studied. One of those advantages is the ability to move more freely in an activity sport/pastime/pleasure, another is that of protection. With the latter comes a side effect - risk compensation. The more one feels protected from a possible event, the more risks - some subconcious - may be perceived as able to be taken. That in itself raises a question over the attitudes of certain 'players', and as David alludes - is an indication of a willingness to partake in a little more than gentle and considerate behaviour towards others. If I don my leathers, plant a lid on my head, and swing a leg over the Le-Mans I do so; part in compliance to a law, part in a desire to be protected from chill winds, and part because I love to ride. Others will classify me as a hooligan - without moving a muscle.

Derek

[*]Surely lycra clothing was specifically designed for the purpose of riding a bicycle fast, an activity that is incompatible with the towpath environment

I fully agree with the statement that riding a bicycle at speed is not an activity for canal towpaths. That is why I don't think it is appropriate for those responsible for promoting the towpaths as cycle routes. Yes, put out information saying how much fun you can have exploring the canals by bike along the towpath, but stop trying to use them as cycleways, commuter routes and the like.

There is nothing wrong as such with wearing clothing specifically designed for an activity.

However;

• There is a strong (but NOT absolute) correlation between the wearing of lycra and inconsiderate behaviour
  • Surely lycra clothing was specifically designed for the purpose of riding a bicycle fast, an activity that is incompatible with the towpath environment
  • Do those who wear it realise how SILLY they look?

Isn't it the same with most sporting activities - even golfers and fishermen wear clothing appropriate to their activity. Some may look sillier than others but bright tight fitting clothing is by far the best thing to wear when cycling . . .

And anyway, I hardly think that often not so sartorially dressed boaters are seldom in a good position to talk about the suitability of other people's clothing!

(Unless they are wearing a Bowler, of course!)

And anyway, I hardly think that often not so sartorially dressed boaters are seldom in a good position to talk about the suitability of other people's clothing!

(Unless they are wearing a Bowler, of course!)

Apparantly, when attired for cycling, I look like Max Wall - did he wear a 'bowler' too?

The week before last we were on the BCN near Gas Street basin, also along the GU near Warick,I can not remember the number of times i was nearly mowed down by cyclist going far too fast along the towpaths.

If you do not hear them approaching from behind then they just continue their speed, it makes no difference to me whether they ting ting or shout that they are approaching me as i am profoundly deaf,They seem to think that they have more right to be there and travel at what ever speed they want.You get people having a Bar B Q on the towpath, the cyclist just go straight at them and make them move their chairs rather than go around. I often wonder whether these people are insured, they certainly should have some form of identification on the bikes.

The other day a friend of mine nearly had her dog run over in Leighton Buzzard, the cyclist said that the dog was in his way, and that he had the right of go as fast as he wanted.

<snip>

The other day a friend of mine nearly had her dog run over in Leighton Buzzard, the cyclist said that the dog was in his way, and that he had the right of go as fast as he wanted.

Oh, don't get this lot started on dogs on the towpath!

Amazing how many people dont like people using the countries canal network, would they be happier if they had been filled in and turned into roads as was planned in the 60s? No wonder boaters have a reputation for being miserable bastards!

Amazing how many people dont like people using the countries canal network, would they be happier if they had been filled in and turned into roads as was planned in the 60s? No wonder boaters have a reputation for being miserable bastards!

:lol:

And where in these posts are people saying they dont want other people to use the towpaths ? As for me I love to see walkers, ramblers nature lovers fishing type people boaters etc etc.....what I dont like is people miss using the path by using a road going VEHICLE................there are many many thousands of roads on which to use a vehicle ( bicycle ) without using the canal towpaths...... :lol:

yes :lol: and it was most pleasant! (wey & arun is dry from Loxwood up to southland apart from a few puddles) :lol:

No water then its more of a footpath not really a canal

probably the same reason they can't use the cyclepaths the council wasted our money on building!!

And what reason would that be?

An awful lot of cycle paths get ordered infeb/march time, when the Highways dept is trying to shed money, it's saved for crises, that never happened.

If any local govt. dept. has surplus money, through good housekeeping, at the end of the financial year, then you can guarantee its budget will be cut, by at least that amount, the following year.

what I dont like is people miss using the path by using a road going VEHICLE................there are many many thousands of roads on which to use a vehicle ( bicycle ) without using the canal towpaths...... :lol:

Just to be pedantic, under Traffic Law and Rights of Way Law , a bicycle is not classed as a VEHICLE.

I'm baffled by this attitude towards cyclist wearing lycra cycle clothing. What on earth is wrong with people wearing the clothes specifically designed for the activity in question? Just because you are not a Tour standard rider doesn't mean you need to make it harder for yourself by not wearing the most suitable clothing. OK I could understand it if people were talking about men getting dressed up in brightly coloured matching shirts and short trousers instead of jeans and pullovers or a suit and tie to play football, I mean, that would just be ridiculous, next thing you know cricketers will be wearing white trousers and pullovers and big gloves and pads on their legs. Where will it end?

If people want to wear Lycra leave them to it I say. I wouldnt wear it myself (my body is well short of desirable in normal clothing never mind stretchy figure hugging stuff). If we're talking about style crime at least they arent wearing cut off trousers, crocs and leather cowboy hats.

No water then its more of a footpath not really a canal

it hopefully will be a canal again once the winter rain sets in, the banks hopefully will take up properly and we should be operating the boats at least to Devil's hole next summer.

i wish i knew the answer to that one LOL :lol::lol: