Can you hand pump waste??

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

I have yet to see one that does ban self pumpout, but then again i tend to have the need to hang around sh*t disposal facilities. Maybe "up North" it is yet to become a problem, but as i have already said until BW decide to place an outright ban on self pumpout i aint going to complain about it.

Well of course it is different here in the northwest, but I'm struggling to think of an elsan point I've come across that DOESN'T Ban self-pumpouts.

Edited by dor

Well of course it is different here in the northwest, but I'm struggling to think of an elsan point I've come across that DOESN'T Ban self-pumpouts.

There are still a few unfortunately. Did see someone doing this exercise of pumping into container then putting down Elsan at Norbury a few weeks ago. The main reason they don't allow them in Norbury is that the Elsan goes into a limited space septic tank. Right opposite the Elsan is Norbury Wharf who do pumpout.

There are still a few unfortunately. Did see someone doing this exercise of pumping into container then putting down Elsan at Norbury a few weeks ago. The main reason they don't allow them in Norbury is that the Elsan goes into a limited space septic tank. Right opposite the Elsan is Norbury Wharf who do pumpout.

A lovely little service point with toilets, showers, washing machine and a sitting room, all spoiled by the dreadful stink throughout when the Elsan disposal point round the back is used :lol:

At least a cassette has far less chance of blocking an elsan point, due to its much smaller volume.

The cassettes were emptied in elsan points during the freeze. I can assure people they were blocked; people kept using them and a self pump out wouldn't reach. All users can make a mess and some do.

Sue

The sooner they ban self pumpout from elsan points the better. If you can't afford a pumpout buy a cassette

I can afford a pumpout which is why I bought a pumpout kit. More boats are coming onto the system it is about time BW provided some more facilities. Has anyone found facilities locked so only moorers can use them?

Sue

I do not agree. Elsan Points should be improved to facilitate self pump out.

Why?

BW already supply a means of free sewage disposal, for boat owners that chose to install compatible on-board systems.

If a boat owner decides to install an on-board system that is incompatible with the facilities provided, why on earth should it be incumbent on BW to build a whole range of new facilities just for them?

Why?

BW already supply a means of free sewage disposal, for boat owners that chose to install compatible on-board systems.

If a boat owner decides to install an on-board system that is incompatible with the facilities provided, why on earth should it be incumbent on BW to build a whole range of new facilities just for them?

It's a dodgy argument though as there are places where pump-outs are provided, and elsan points that are capable of being pumped into. Also pump-outs are common equipment on boats.

If there were currently none at all I think you could make that argument.

Richard

Why?

To be responsive to the needs of its customers.

Those who wish to self-pump out and and those it offends

To be responsive to the needs of its customers.

Those who wish to self-pump out and and those it offends

Responsive to customers..... where does that stop. I like watching TV BW should provide Ariel plug inns at all visitor moorings.......Electric plug inns should be provided then people would not have use engines they do it in Llangollen and Liverpool why not everywhere else we all need electricity........

There are plenty of pumpouts provided at marinas why should BW use limited funds to provide something that most marinas already provide.

I can afford a pumpout which is why I bought a pumpout kit. More boats are coming onto the system it is about time BW provided some more facilities. Has anyone found facilities locked so only moorers can use them?

Sue

Sorry maybe it is to early in the morning for me but don't understand your point

Edited by cotswoldsman

There are plenty of pumpouts provided at marinas why should BW use limited funds to provide something that most marinas already provide.

Most marinas also provide elsan facilities so maybe BW should shut down all of their existing ones and we should all be forced into using marina facilities.

Most marinas also provide elsan facilities so maybe BW should shut down all of their existing ones and we should all be forced into using marina facilities.

What would be gained by closing down the ones that already exist? Maybe to stop people using self pumpout in them in that case fine by me have no problem using Marina Elsan used one in fact on Wednesday at Lime Kiln Marina in Compton it was a real pleasure to use as they don't allow self pumpouts.

What would be gained by closing down the ones that already exist? Maybe to stop people using self pumpout in them in that case fine by me have no problem using Marina Elsan used one in fact on Wednesday at Lime Kiln Marina in Compton it was a real pleasure to use as they don't allow self pumpouts.

As you say it would stop people using self pump outs, stop people moaning about the cleanliness issues and ensure that marinas have a steady stream of potential clients entering the marinas to use their facilities. It would also save BW staff the thankless task of having to clean the elsan facilites.

Sue

I'm also not sure of the point you are making Sue - again perhaps too early in the morning.

BW do seem to be providing an increased number of self-operated pump-out facilities - the one's unsurprisingly explicitly labelled as pump-out facilities.

They also provide facilities for emptying Elsans, very often labelled, for good reasons, as not suitable to do self-pump out into.

The sticking point seems to be whether people are prepared to pay for the latter, presumably why at some locations you will find people self pumping-out into Elsan facilities whilst the proper pump-out facility stands unused. The only reasons for that can be cost, surely - nobody would sit there pumping their own poo if a nice machine can do it for you instead, surely - other than as a cost saving exercise.

I still maintain I've not encountered that many BW sanitary stations that don't have signs prohibiting self pump-out. The popular, and al-fresco one at Braunston is an exception where it is allowed, and after a very unpleasant experience there after someone had, I still think it is a mistake to try and use these things for something they were never designed for.

Surely most people specifying a boat with pump-out know it is something that has always been something there is a charge for, since pump-out first started to appear, and it's a decision they take ? The fact that BW is increasingly providing the facility in addition to private concerns is surely an improvement to those with pump-out - something that was not always the case ?

Nobody usually needs to self-pump out on the canals for any other reason than cost saving, do they ?

I'm also not sure of the point you are making Sue - again perhaps too early in the morning.

BW do seem to be providing an increased number of self-operated pump-out facilities - the one's unsurprisingly explicitly labelled as pump-out facilities.

They also provide facilities for emptying Elsans, very often labelled, for good reasons, as not suitable to do self-pump out into.

The sticking point seems to be whether people are prepared to pay for the latter, presumably why at some locations you will find people self pumping-out into Elsan facilities whilst the proper pump-out facility stands unused. The only reasons for that can be cost, surely - nobody would sit there pumping their own poo if a nice machine can do it for you instead, surely - other than as a cost saving exercise.

I still maintain I've not encountered that many BW sanitary stations that don't have signs prohibiting self pump-out. The popular, and al-fresco one at Braunston is an exception where it is allowed, and after a very unpleasant experience there after someone had, I still think it is a mistake to try and use these things for something they were never designed for.

Surely most people specifying a boat with pump-out know it is something that has always been something there is a charge for, since pump-out first started to appear, and it's a decision they take ? The fact that BW is increasingly providing the facility in addition to private concerns is surely an improvement to those with pump-out - something that was not always the case ?

Nobody usually needs to self-pump out on the canals for any other reason than cost saving, do they ?

Alan think you have summed it up very well thank you. I have always said when this subject comes up if you can't afford a pumpout buy a cassette.

Edited by cotswoldsman

I have always said when this subject comes up if you can't afford a pumpout buy a cassette.

From Sue's post I believe she may have interpreted this as "If you can't afford a pumpout toilet" rather than "If you can't afford to pay for your tanks to be pumped out using the correct equipment, into the correct facility".

Taking into account many boaters' accounts of unsavoury experiences with "self-pumpers" and RichardH's frank and honest account of him actually using self-pumpout equipment, perhaps we should all strive to be "considerate boaters" and put our poo in the places designed to receive it, according to our choice of toilet.

With a cheery wave and smile, of course. :lol:

I will still use my self pumpout where allowed and making sure the sluice is cleaner when i have left than when i arrived.....as with everything some people are less considerate than others.....and yes there is a cost saving....but ffs people some of you seem to get very worked up about this....but i presume the sh*t from your cassettes doesn't stink and you can walk on water as well!!

Cheers

Gareth

As you say it would stop people using self pump outs, stop people moaning about the cleanliness issues and ensure that marinas have a steady stream of potential clients entering the marinas to use their facilities. It would also save BW staff the thankless task of having to clean the elsan facilites.

The only problem might be that some marinas might insist on a 60/40 split and being a bucket and chuck it man I would have to go for the self declaration.

Taking into account many boaters' accounts of unsavoury experiences with "self-pumpers" and RichardH's frank and honest account of him actually using self-pumpout equipment, perhaps we should all strive to be "considerate boaters" and put our poo in the places designed to receive it, according to our choice of toilet.

Carl,

I think you may be confusing the "Considerate Boater" web-site with it's sister "Considerate Floater" one ?

I will still use my self pumpout where allowed and making sure the sluice is cleaner when i have left than when i arrived.....as with everything some people are less considerate than others.....and yes there is a cost saving....but ffs people some of you seem to get very worked up about this....but i presume the sh*t from your cassettes doesn't stink and you can walk on water as well!!

Cheers

Gareth

It is the amount at one time that is the problem for me. I had to wait 20 mins at the Elsan at Anderton while some inconsiderate boater used his self pumpout.