Can you hand pump waste??

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

We have a pump out and a portapotti. We never poo in the portapotti because we have both agreed that we never want to see our poo again once it's been discharged. We were frozen in for six weeks during the winter, during which time the pump out filled up rather quickly. We found land based facilities rather than poo in the portapotti - the agreement is that whoever deposits it empties it and neither of us are prepared to. For that reason we would never even think of buying self pump out equipment - the worst of both worlds IMO.

Am I making sense or did I just talk shite :lol:

But you don't really see it again in its former state do you?....... if you leave it long enough in the chemicals it becomes just mainly sludge....still bleaurk but acceptable. I have two cassettes and I never let one get full and then I leave it a a few days for the chemicals to really work then when I come to empty it I add some water and give it a good ole shake!...bleaurk again...but then it pours away neatly with no mess. First time though I did press that yellow button thats supposed to let air in as you empty?.....big mistake!

Yes its the least favourable job but I still prefer it to sleeping over gallons and gallons of the stuff. Just my twopennyworth, not meant to offend. :lol:

Guest wanted
Well, thanks again everyone for your responses.

I must say though, I am surprised by the tone of many of the posts. I asked the original question in all innocence on a 'newbie' section of the post, but I have had to put up with a fair amount of abuse.

I love the forum, and I really value the advice, but I think that the more experienced members should bear in mind that we all have to start somewhere, and a simple statement of opinion or gentle nod in the right direction is sufficient and desireable.

I think I explained in my OP that I hoped to dispose of the contents down my own inspection chamber, so I think that your concerns about me causing delays and splattering facilities are unnecessary.

As I said before, it was only an idea... but I think I've got the gist.

Don't worry mate, I think your OP was a good catalyst for another poo debate and the thread as always expanded, don't be put off, just join in!

Paid for by SPO users?

Obviously from this thread, to be funded by cassetters so that they can have sole rights to the existing connection to the drains at sanny stations, something which they currently do not have!

Paid for by SPO users?

Same way elsan's are payed for now as it's only a connection to the main sewage system. If the connections were common place then it would please both cassette and self pump out users and it could or should be a blanket no for self pump outs to use a elsan.

What is dogmatic about playing by the rules? The rules are that you can not use the Elsan for SPO, and when you pay for your licence you indicate that you understand, and will abide by those rules. But heho, suddenly, because it is convinient, and cheapo, certain rules are to be ignored, and those pointing this out, are dogmatic?

Just because I have payed my roadtax, does not give me free access to a toll road.

The rules do NOT say you can't use an elsan for SPO. To be pedantic those not on main drainage are the only ones you shouldn't use.

Pet hate people making up non-existent rules

Sue

That is precisely what is needed to meet the needs of some and an increasing number of boat customers. It is not about a huge investment in sanitation at the expense of dredging or lock maintenenace but about the application of some of the revenuue/capital maintenance costs of sanitary stations and like facililities into something useful and beneficial to the canal community as a whole. Its not about cassettes are best, pump-outs should pay and not use Elsans and all the other arguments.

BW asks its customers what it wants from time to time (consults). I would say that proper soil connections come before more washing machines and shower facilities but then I no longer have a cassette/chemical toilet.

Tried this Paul Wagstaffe was all in favour. The response was to install the pump out machines. EA do provide free pump outs

Sue

Except talking about boating bogs gets (for some reason I still don't fully understand) even more emotive -

But the real hazard for me in that method is transporting the poo - human effluent is a serious health risk and if you were serious about transporting it home to empty it I would think again.

If you are let us know when and where you are on the road and I for one will be giving you a wide berth - the consequences of even a minor RTC with several tanks of poo in your car are to me not worth thinking about.

What a silly reply! Don't follow a camper van. The person wishing to take his poo home is affecting no one but himself.

Sue

Edited by sueb

Having had both p/o cassette , we did a self pump out once at braunston never again the smell was truly vile, someone has to hold the pipe into the container/elsan the smell stayed with me for days also he thought of having to breath in shite juice more than i have to( yes i know cassettes have to be emptied) but its still quicker than spending 20 mins pumping weeks old pooooo

Having had both p/o cassette , we did a self pump out once at braunston never again the smell was truly vile, someone has to hold the pipe into the container/elsan the smell stayed with me for days also he thought of having to breath in shite juice more than i have to( yes i know cassettes have to be emptied) but its still quicker than spending 20 mins pumping weeks old pooooo

Weeks old poo doesn't smell, unless you use chemicals down the loo. Good ventilation for the tank and some stuff to help the bacteria grow is all thats needed for a non smelling experience!

The person wishing to take his poo home is affecting no one but himself.

Sue

When I used to visit my grandparents when I was little their toilet was an earth closet in a stone shed that had to be dug out and composted in a heap when it was full. Some cottages nearby had no gardens so they had to take the contents of theirs in a wheelbarrow to the allotments.

However, although I would rather pay for an option that does require me to empty the thing myself, I can see the argument in favour of facilities for self-pumpout to be freely and widely available. Just as facilities for emptying chemical toilet were introduced when these were a preferable option than the methods previously used, should not self-pumpout facilities be introduced for the same reasons? After all, Im sure that no-one would dispute that pumpout toilets represent a considerable advance over cassette type ones. Would they? 16.gif

I think I explained in my OP that I hoped to dispose of the contents down my own inspection chamber, so I think that your concerns about me causing delays and splattering facilities are unnecessary.

Just as a matter of interest, how do you clean out your shitty pipe, if you're not pumping out at an Elsan point?

Where does that diluted poo go?

How do you rinse your tank?

Oh and why does my spell checker okay the first "poo" but underline the rest?

Weeks old poo doesn't smell, unless you use chemicals down the loo. Good ventilation for the tank and some stuff to help the bacteria grow is all thats needed for a non smelling experience!

well i have never been by a p/o in a boat yard that does not smell. the people on the new boat by us have a loo they dont put chemicals in, when they self pump it out it honks (they p/o themselves to save money)it stinks.

When I used to visit my grandparents when I was little their toilet was an earth closet in a stone shed that had to be dug out and composted in a heap when it was full. Some cottages nearby had no gardens so they had to take the contents of theirs in a wheelbarrow to the allotments.

However, although I would rather pay for an option that does require me to empty the thing myself, I can see the argument in favour of facilities for self-pumpout to be freely and widely available. Just as facilities for emptying chemical toilet were introduced when these were a preferable option than the methods previously used, should not self-pumpout facilities be introduced for the same reasons? After all, Im sure that no-one would dispute that pumpout toilets represent a considerable advance over cassette type ones. Would they? 16.gif

I have no problem with facilities for pumpout being available free just don't see why scarce money should be used to build them when pumpout is a choice made when buying a boat. I object to a facility that was designed for castette emptying is used for pump out.

To the OP - yes you can, but most people would prefer not to it would seem.

Why does anyone need a toilet on their boat anyway - a urinal and a daily visit to the pub should cover all :lol:

Composting loo anyone?

This topic does move people doesn't it :lol:

Happy camping

John

Edited by jonk

Im sure that no-one would dispute that pumpout toilets represent a considerable advance over cassette type ones. Would they? 16.gif

Actually I would say that the cassette toilets are an advance on portapottis and POs which take the best of both systems and, pretty much, eliminate the worst.

The thing I don't like about Portapottis is the faff, dismantling the thing, when it's full, trying not to hit any of the levers and buttons that may open an outlet, oh and bending down further than my useless knees allow me to.

The things I hate about POs is the space they take up and having to part with cash for someone else to dispose of my poo.

Cassettes just come out of the toilet in one movement, without undoing all the clips and clamps associated with Portapottis. They are also shaped better, for carrying and tipping, than Portapotti bases.

They have a footprint no bigger than my Portapotti and are at a reasonable sitting height, meaning I don't need a winch to return me to an upright position. I can also store all my precious woodworking tools under the bed, rather than 100 gallons of poo.

I can also empty them at an Elsan, at home or, if I'm desperate, a sewer inspection chamber.

well i have never been by a p/o in a boat yard that does not smell. the people on the new boat by us have a loo they dont put chemicals in, when they self pump it out it honks (they p/o themselves to save money)it stinks.

It will be a lack of good ventilation then, this helps the bacteria breakdown the poo. Once it's broken down they should be no real smell. My toilet is a macerator type which helps.

Just as a matter of interest, how do you clean out your shitty pipe, if you're not pumping out at an Elsan point?

How do you rinse your tank?

Oh, please sir, I know the answer to this one!

I know the answer, because I saw it happen a couple of weeks ago.

A boat moored up opposite us (yes that's right, children, the place where the "no mooring opposite marina" signs are), and proceded to SPO down a manhole just over the towpath.

When he had finished, he unscrewed the fitting, and let a gallon of slurry run back over his gunwhales and into the canal, then got his watering can and washed the rest off into the canal.

How disgusting...

I suppose there was little he could have done about it though... perhaps it was a bad SPO design that allowed a pipeful to remain in the pipe and didn't have any non-return valve to prevent this ? Eeeyuk - I am quite glad we have a pump out and someone else does it.

Nick

A boat moored up opposite us (yes that's right, children, the place where the "no mooring opposite marina" signs are), and proceded to SPO down a manhole just over the towpath.

When he had finished, he unscrewed the fitting, and let a gallon of slurry run back over his gunwhales and into the canal, then got his watering can and washed the rest off into the canal.

November 2008 I saw a boater pumping direct into The Llangollen!!!!

November 2008 I saw a boater pumping direct into The Llangollen!!!!

A BW pan at Hillmorton had the products of a SPO swilling around its bilges, a few years ago.

They had to pump it out, and dispose of the crap, then rinse it several times, disposing of the water, as hazardous waste and then dispose of the contents of the hold, as hazardous waste, too.

To the OP - yes you can, but most people would prefer not to it would seem.

Why does anyone need a toilet on their boat anyway - a urinal and a daily visit to the pub should cover all :lol:

Composting loo anyone?

This topic does move people doesn't it :lol:

Happy camping

John

My partner was a jackeroo on his Uncles sheep farm in the Yarra Valley in Australia, he lived with some hippies in the hills.

They had a dunny. Dig a big deep hole, plonk the dunny shed on top of it. Everytime you used it, throw some ash down the hole afterwards. Once the hole was full, dig a new hole and move the shed. Plant a lemon tree in the fertile soil where the old hole was, after a few years, you've got yourself a lemon grove.

My partner was a jackeroo on his Uncles sheep farm in the Yarra Valley in Australia, he lived with some hippies in the hills.

They had a dunny. Dig a big deep hole, plonk the dunny shed on top of it. Everytime you used it, throw some ash down the hole afterwards. Once the hole was full, dig a new hole and move the shed. Plant a lemon tree in the fertile soil where the old hole was, after a few years, you've got yourself a lemon grove.

Somewhere in the outback of Aus there might be a money tree. When I was there in the 60's my wallet dropped into the Dunny and after a lot of thought and debate decided that I would leave it there......

What a silly reply! Don't follow a camper van. The person wishing to take his poo home is affecting no one but himself.

Sue

What an even sillier reply -

Of course (and I speak as an ex-caravanner here) they do and I often used to do the same. But I think we are talking different issues here because of quantities. One full poo tank safely affixed in it's properly constructed housing is well different from lugging the contents of a poo tank in several 'jerry' cans stacked in the boot/ back of a hatch back - each to their own I guess but I wouldn't like to hit or be in a car with that amount of human excrement stacked in the back.....

you feel free though Sue, though if you ever do offer me a lift and you're carrying a car full of poo and wee I think I'll walk if that's OK.

Edited by NB No Deadlines

Ewwwww, yuk

Maybe thats why lemons are so bitter. Just put me off my ice and slice, have to make do with straight Gin

I do not understand why that was inevitable. After you have pumped out and lost suction, the empty pipe that was doing the sucking is normally lowered into the canal and pumping resumed into the disposal point until clean canal water is all that is in the equipment/hose. Its one reason I concede that use into sceptic tanks increases volume used though as one cassetter pointed out he totally filled and empties his three times before calling it a day!

Tried this Paul Wagstaffe was all in favour. The response was to install the pump out machines. EA do provide free pump outs

Sue

And the improved access to pump-out machines met some peoples needs and as it was cheaper than the marinas helped peg their prices. However, as BW is also in the marina business and into income generation it hiked the price. That brings us back to the requisite basic drains connection provision to satisfy other users, etc. They could even then get rid of the smelly Elsans!

Nice!

As is done by the commercial operators!!