Can you hand pump waste??

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

I think it depends where you are.

And those Elsans that can't take a pump out have signs saying so. It's not the Elsans that can't take the volume it is where it goes from then.

Edited by Robbo

Why? It's a hole to a main sewer in most places.

No, it is a hole with a u-bend and a pipe system which is assisted only by gravity.

Purpose build pumpout stations are designed to take the large volumes of waste, all in one go. Elsans are designed to cope with a bucketful.

Carl, Dave, Jill, Martin, (any other takers ?!?).

If I can borrow you all on a common date as ballast, perhaps I could get Chalice, which normally has a fairly high air draught through Froghall tunnel ?

Well, just a thought, if you are serious about this!..... :lol:

Yes, but what about your underwater draft and what does your stability test say about all four of us balanced on the gunnels? Are your welds strong enough? Is the fridge large enough? Who's cooking our tea?

Tricky questions - 'snot that easy y'know.....

eta Tsk! Grammatical error!

Edited by wrigglefingers

Yes, but what about your underwater draft and what does your stability test say about all four of us balanced on the gunnels? Are your weld strong enough? Is the fridge large enough? Who's cooking our tea?

Tricky questions - 'snot that easy y'know.....

:lol::lol::lol:

Nick

Except that in most places, it isn't.

In most places, it is a tank, or a long limited bore run to the sewer.

If in most places it's a tank, shouldn't elsan's users pay for the emptying of the tank? Why should pump out users be penalised and pay for a BW pump out in this case?

So me being a pump out user and using BW's equipment, I'm supplementing then emptying of elsan's tanks - that doesn't seem right.

It isn't.

You should immediately fit a cassette loo, so that you can get your share of the facilities.

So me being a pump out user and using BW's equipment, I'm supplementing then emptying of elsan's tanks...

No, you're paying towards the cost of installing and maintaining the pump-out equipment. Your sh1t is being removed for free just like that of cassette users.

As Dave says, the solution to not paying extra is to not have a pump-out system.

Tony

No, you're paying towards the cost of installing and maintaining the pump-out equipment. Your sh1t is being removed for free just like that of cassette users.

So if I self pump I'm removing the maintenance cost for BW, so why can't I self pump out, it's the same amount of sh1t!

So me being a pump out user and using BW's equipment, I'm supplementing then emptying of elsan's tanks - that doesn't seem right.

How are you supplementing the emptying of tanks. You pay your licence the same as most people and in the cost of that licence is the use of an elsan point for emptying cassettes if you choose to use another system that is your choice so suggest you buy a cassette so you can get full value from your licence and then you will be a happy person knowing you are using facilities as the were designed to be used.

So if I self pump I'm removing the maintenance cost for BW, so why can't I self pump out, it's the same amount of sh1t!

No if you self pumpout you are increasing the cost to BW by depositing your waste in a system designed for cassette emptying as I have said before if you can't afford the pumpout then buy a cassette.

You can self pump out in the locations where such a practice is approved by BW as being suitable. For those locations where it is unsuitable you have two simple choices - pay for it or use a cassette.

Tony

How are you supplementing the emptying of tanks. You pay your licence the same as most people and in the cost of that licence is the use of an elsan point for emptying cassettes if you choose to use another system that is your choice so suggest you buy a cassette so you can get full value from your licence and then you will be a happy person knowing you are using facilities as the were designed to be used.

The whole (most) of the canal system isn't been used as it was designed. It's now mostly a leisure system, the canal system has moved with the times, so should the facilities for the increased amount of boaters. If this includes more pump-out equipment, self-pump out connection points and elsans it should please us all.

Just out of interest, if any of you cassette users saw a pump out user, self pumping out into an elsan point, would you really approach a man/woman holding a pipe through which is pumping a quantity of sh*t?

No, I'd tread on his hose, and wait until he was looking down the end of it to see what was wrong....

Tony

The whole (most) of the canal system isn't been used as it was designed. It's now mostly a leisure system, the canal system has moved with the times, so should the facilities for the increased amount of boaters. If this includes more pump-out equipment, self-pump out connection points and elsans it should please us all.

So now you are saying I should pay money because I have a system that is compatible with what is provided by BW for those boaters who choose to have a pumpout system and can't afford to have it emptied!!

So now you are saying I should pay money because I have a system that is compatible with what is provided by BW for those boaters who choose to have a pumpout system and can't afford to have it emptied!!

It isnt about being able to afford pumpouts or not. Sometimes it is the avaliability, sometimes it is about having the choice of paying or not.

We prefer to take a trip out of BW waters to empty our tank, costs more in diesel than having the tank pumped out at our marina but hey that is also our choice.

I think elsan's users should pay for the equipment that they use yes, the same as a pump out user pay's for the equipment they use. However that's not really manageable so I can't see why it can't all be free like on the NA. Will totally get rid of self-pump out users, and hopefully reduce the idiots who pump straight into the canal/river.

It isnt about being able to afford pumpouts or not.

Ah so it for the enjoyment of standing for half an hour while you pump out the waste!! Weird!!

The availability argument does not wash with me I am afraid it is called planning the same as I have to do with my deisel when I know my deisel tank is running low I plan what to do about filling it up. I dip my tank once a week and when it is only one third full I know I need to fill up at the next marina.

I think elsan's users should pay for the equipment that they use yes,

I do pay in my licence

I think elsan's users should pay for the equipment that they use yes...

But they do. It's all in with the license. However some users decide to have boats with incompatible equipment fitted and then complain that they can't use that incompatible equipment for free.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

But they do. It's all in with the license. However some users decide to have boats with incompatible equipment on their boats and then complain that they can't use that imcompatible equipment for free.

A self pump out is not incompatible with the equipment.

A self pump out is not incompatible with the equipment.

It is incompatible with most and besides it is a disgusting and unpleasant habit and speaking to various BW employees they agree and are looking at banning them from all Elsans due to the amount of complaints they get. I just hope that people keep bombarding BW with emails of complaint.

It is incompatible with most and besides it is a disgusting and unpleasant habit and speaking to various BW employees they agree and are looking at banning them from all Elsans due to the amount of complaints they get. I just hope that people keep bombarding BW with emails of complaint.

I do not think it qualifies as a habit but is an unpleasant necessity whatever mode of disposal. It has you thinking though, I see lots of boats with cassette toilets that never go anywhere near the sanitary stations. Guess they must not use the toilet on board!