Can you hand pump waste??

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

we shouldnt imply to the OP that it isnt allowed due to the fact that right now in most places it is.

I have implied no such thing.

I have expressed my opinion, on the disgusting nature of the practice, and that I believe it should be banned.

I have implied no such thing.

I have expressed my opinion, on the disgusting nature of the practice, and that I believe it should be banned.

I'd agree that it is a disgusting practice as is emptying cassetes. They can make just as much mess. Having had both, I'd go for a pumpout and someone else to pump it out anytime.

I'd agree that it is a disgusting practice as is emptying cassetes. They can make just as much mess. Having had both, I'd go for a pumpout and someone else to pump it out anytime.

Well, that make's two of us then !! :lol:

Nick

We can all squark that self pump out "should not be allowed", however as things stand self pump out is allowed at elsan points other than the few places where BW have specifically disallowed it.

Of course we should discuss the merits and pitfalls of self pumpout, however we shouldnt imply to the OP that it isnt allowed due to the fact that right now in most places it is.

I suspect this may be yet another case where your lack of knowledge of the canal system is causing you to make statements that are not borne out in practice.

I don't know about "up North" but "down South" my experience, (having used many more than I suspect you have), that self-pumpout is banned at far more BW sanitary station than it is allowed at.

In my view there are good reasons for this that go beyond "if you have a pump-out, you can afford to pay".

Can you provide a shred of evidence that the majority of BW sanitary stations allow self-pumpout - let alone that only a few actually ban it ? I doubt it!

I suspect this may be yet another case where your lack of knowledge of the canal system is causing you to make statements that are not borne out in practice.

I don't know about "up North" but "down South" my experience, (having used many more than I suspect you have), that self-pumpout is banned at far more BW sanitary station than it is allowed at.

In my view there are good reasons for this that go beyond "if you have a pump-out, you can afford to pay".

Can you provide a shred of evidence that the majority of BW sanitary stations allow self-pumpout - let alone that only a few actually ban it ? I doubt it!

Can you provide the evidence to show otherwise? I also suspect not.

I have yet to see one that does ban self pumpout, but then again i tend to have the need to hang around sh*t disposal facilities. Maybe "up North" it is yet to become a problem, but as i have already said until BW decide to place an outright ban on self pumpout i aint going to complain about it.

Just to set the record straight, the OP didnt say they would be pumping into elsan facilites, they intended to take their waste home.

I have to admit im not a fan of handling sewage, even the porta potti is right on the arse end of what i can stand.

- I if it where be therefore i would use a combination of going in the bushes where suitable, and using a proper pumpout machine.

Daniel

I think a portable pump out kit has it's place in a boat if you are cruising and finding the potential of a closed down boat yard or non-functioning BW self-pump out

We carry one on the van just in case we find that guests have prematurely filled the tank and are miles from a potential machine pump out. Let me tell you here and now it is a vile job which makes me want to vomit and unless you wear protective equipment leaves you smelling like a latrine. If you use lay flat tube you will almost certainly need one person pumping and one directing the pipe into the vessel as the pressure tends to have a 'spraying' effect.

We then have to carry 25litres cans of effluent down the towpath and try our best to empty it without the inevitable 'glug' all over our feet and hands

Pay a tenner for crying out loud. :lol:

At least a cassette has far less chance of blocking an elsan point, due to its much smaller volume.

I suppose so, but you could argue that a cassette needs to be emptied maybe 10 times more often than a pumpout therefore there is more chance of making a mess. If you have a pumpout and you don't self pump out then you don't even have to enter an elsan emtying point which, to me, is a major advantage.

Edited by AlanH

I had a self pump out pump given to me, it was stored for emergencies. At some point I realised that I would never, ever use it as long as I had the orifice in my body that made pumping out necessary in the first place. I took it to the tip eventually and as I flung it into the skip something nasty flew out and hit a man passing by. Whatever it was must have been at least three years old.... shudder. :lol:

I think we should just ban toilets on boats completely. It would save on the license costs because BW would no longer have to maintain the infrastructure. It would encourage tourism as people visit pubs and shopping centres more frequently. It would encourage boaters to get more in touch with the local flora through visiting ditches and hedges

Ban toilets. You know it makes sense

Richard

If you have a pumpout and you don't self pump out then you don't even have to enter an elsan emtying point which, to me, is a major advantage.

I agree and this is a good argument for a pump-out system.

The stronger argument against, though, is the waste of space and the fact that i am too tight to pay anyone to do something I can do myself, for free.

The cassette is the compromise between paying someone to pump-out using facilities designed for the job and me pumping out, into a facility designed to takes 25 litres at a time, not 10 times that or more.

All this reminds me of the time I worked on a building site and a man using the 'toilet', which was a plank over a cesspit, dropped his coat into it and spent half an hour fishing it out because he had left his sandwiches in a pocket :lol:

One of my more "interesting" holiday jobs was as stand-in "mate" on the local council's cesspit emptying lorries, whilst others were holidaying.

I used to work with one particularly unsavoury driver who would come away from a pit, hands coated in it's contents, and pull out and start eating his lunch.

At one large house, I found him reaching around down the hole with the cesspool lorry equivalent of a short shaft. "I've managed to drop a pipe in", he said. "Don't worry", said I, "the council doesn't seem to mind replacing lost equipment". "It was not council equipment", said he, "I was smoking it!".

The OP has not said they cant afford to use the pumpout facilities just that they are a fair old cruise away. Until BW ban the use of self pump outs, as they have done at some sanitary stations, then boat owners are free to self pump out if they so wish.

Good God!!

I agree with Phylis........

Need a lie down now......

We have a pump out and a grotty potty for a back up/winter when we might be iced in etc

We also have a self pumpout kit

Its fine to use...yes one of us does have to hold the pipe to avoid a mess but one of us also has to pour the potty down the sluice too....so not much difference there....It wouldnt take much to make the relevent disposal points self pump out friendly....just a suitable joint in the soil pipe that the hose could connect to.....and all the BW owned self pumpout machines we have come across have either been out of order or needed a card from the shop 10 locks back which was a different type of card from the one you brought last time so you had a spare.....

We have never left a mess at any sanitary station and have always stopped and let anyone with a potty empty it...making sure we had rinsed it all down first....we have however seen the mess caused by some potty owners not being quite so considerate....

Some places are better for others to use it and we respect when it says no self pump out...this is mainly due to the sites having small septic tanks/digesters....

I really object to people running noisy diesel heating all night....perhaps we shouild ban that as the noise and fumes could harm my health as well.............

Cheers

Gareth

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Personally i dont see why anyone would want to pump out themselves

A severe case of constipation perhaps? But far better to get it done by a qualified medical professional.

Yes....

Perhaps if they were full of c**p................................. :lol: