Hole in Rudder

kendo

Featured Posts

Make sure butties are well lashed together, connect tiller pins together with rope and connect rudders as well via holes, ta ra. No?

Yes. I'm sure I've seen a picture of two butties tied up like that in a lock on the southern part of the GU.

Richard

If you have the misfortune to ground your rudder on a lock cill it can lift out of the skeg cup.

With a bit of effort, two better than one, the rudder can be raised with a rope back into the cup.

Only twice in a few years boating.

If you have the misfortune to ground your rudder on a lock cill it can lift out of the skeg cup.

With a bit of effort, two better than one, the rudder can be raised with a rope back into the cup.

Only twice in a few years boating.

A lock cill? Who needs a lock cill - a shopping trolley will do it! Or a big rock in a shallow section.

A lock cill? Who needs a lock cill - a shopping trolley will do it! Or a big rock in a shallow section.

Or a relief BW lock-keeper on the Rochdale summit who lets you down on to the floor of an empty lock (not only removing the rudder from the skeg but also bending the skeg in the process, GRRRR)

Thanks people. Much appreciated.

Why would you want to remove and replace the rudder though?

Getting it back into the cup on the skeg without any visual

reference, must be a nightmare?

My rudder is bent, and since it's well bent needs removing and heating up at a blacksmiths. It's going to be quite amusing when it's this size:

Victoria_Rudder.jpg

and have to get it back into this hole!

Victoria_BottomCup.jpg

I'll let you know how much fun, but it might need to be done in a full lock to get the depth!

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

^^^^^^

that's a big old chunk of metal. wouldn't like to try and shift that on my own.

not only removing the rudder from the skeg but also bending the skeg in the process, GRRRR

that's how the boat was delivered to us for survey. it must have stuck in a lock on the way up.

luckily it was out of the water then, and we were able to just wham it with a sledgehammer.

according to the liveaboards, the boat just 'mysteriously appeared'. we guess this was the

reason why.

thanks for the tips though, people.

if there is a shopping trolley out there, we will most likely run over it.

so it's always handy to have this knowledge tucked away.

:lol:

The hole is about the right size to insert your middle finger into and hoick it out of the cut when it completely sheered off the stock and embedded in the mud. I know this. Don't ask how. I will cry. Again.

Edited by wrigglefingers

The hole is about the right size to insert your middle finger into and hoick it out of the cut when it completely sheered off the stock and embedded in the mud. I know this. Don't ask how. I will cry. Again.

When ours did that I used a sea-searcher magnet. Surprisingly effective and much less painful.

Standing on the back deck, on a cool summer's evening, smoking a large one, leaning on the tiller and slowly swinging it from side to side, watching the water flow through the hole, is one of life's great pleasures.

What other reason is necessary for it to exist?

That used to absolutely fascinate me when I was a nipper, standing on the back of my parent's boat swinging the tiller from to side to side watching the water flow through the hole in the tiller..................

40 odd years later, on the back of Mum and Dad's boat, beer in one hand, tiller in the other, swinging it gently from side to side, the pleasure is just as great as ever it was!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
^^^^^^

that's a big old chunk of metal. wouldn't like to try and shift that on my own.

It took three men to put it back on, after it was off for straightning. I just hope it never comes off during boating, 'cause I can't shift it on my own.

Some shots of it at Hammer and Tongs ('bout half way through):

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

When ours did that I used a sea-searcher magnet. Surprisingly effective and much less painful.

Last time I used our Sea Searcher was to rescue someone else's Sea Searcher after they realised they hadn't tied a very secure knot :lol:

Last time I used our Sea Searcher was to rescue someone else's Sea Searcher after they realised they hadn't tied a very secure knot :lol:

Somebody once borrowed my Sea Searcher to try and retrieve their windlass. It didn't have a line permanently attached to it, and while I was getting the line out of the cupboard they threw it in anyway and asked me "what happens next"? Whatever did they imagine it would do?

I tied the line to my own windlass, and rescued the Sea Searcher with it. Never did find the other guy's windlass though.

It took three men to put it back on, after it was off for straightning. I just hope it never comes off during boating, 'cause I can't shift it on my own.

Some shots of it at Hammer and Tongs ('bout half way through):

Mike

Why did you float the boat without the rudder?

Did the old prop really just 'fall off' like that, or was the loosening from the taper not for public view? :lol:

Tim

<snip>

<snip>

Tim

Probably because you need quite a bit of depth underneath the cup to get

the rudder post vertical in order to feed it back up through the counter.

It would be easier to line up & drop in the cup whilst still in the dock but

presumably there was not enough clearance between the floor of the

dock and the uxter plate.

springy

Did the old prop really just 'fall off' like that, or was the loosening from the taper not for public view? :lol:

Tim

What springy said...

...and the prop was removed late last year to get dimensions of the shaft, and so obviously didn't go back on very well. The same hole in the shaft was used to secure the nut, so either another half turn was needed on the nut, or it was just loose.

Mike

• 1 month later...
My rudder is bent, and since it's well bent needs removing and heating up at a blacksmiths. It's going to be quite amusing when it's this size:

I'll let you know how much fun, but it might need to be done in a full lock to get the depth!

Cheers,

Mike

Ours is bent too, and it's staying that way since it's made out of 1/2" plate. I reckon even the mapp torch wouldn't have any effect. Oxy would do it, but don't have access...

PC

Ours is bent too, and it's staying that way since it's made out of 1/2" plate. I reckon even the mapp torch wouldn't have any effect. Oxy would do it, but don't have access...

PC

what about building a little bonfire for it?