Sunken Boat - GU

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

Edit:-

And dont start quoting Cutty Sark, Victory, Flying Scotsman....please.

Some old wooden canal boat carries no more importance than a coal mine rail truck and your not rushing around saving those are you.

Personally, I believe the Cutty Sark is beyond saving and any reusable parts should go towards rebuilding the City of Adelaide.

As for comparing canal boats with coal trucks I'm afraid that's not my area of interest so you're correct, I prefer to concentrate my efforts on boats, however, a visit to the National Coal Mining Museum, at Overton will show you that plenty of other people are interested, despite your expert analysis.

Edited by carlt

What is it with you and the accusation that I've made an expert analysis. Its pathetic.

I've never even seen the boat..you are the one Carl that gave away the bit about they've given up and turned their pumps off. Next step Dredger.

• Greenie 1

What is it with you and the accusation that I've made an expert analysis. Its pathetic.

I've never even seen the boat..you are the one Carl that gave away the bit about they've given up and turned their pumps off. Next step Dredger.

You say it's not worth saving. That is an assumption way out of your area of expertise. You don't know what you're talking about yet talk about it so forthrightly that it lays you open to sarcasm.

I, knowing a lot about the boat and it's overall condition, believe it is worth saving but, sadly, it appears that nobody has the will or resources to actually do it.

If there was anyone willing to rebuild her then I would happily attempt to refloat her.

Edited by carlt

Interesting to see that, much as in railway preservation, the canals have the same problem of those who can do and those who can't criticise. Never mind Evo, I'm sure that someone, somewhere agrees with you, however I think you will have to admit that it isn't going to be in this thread.

So its worth saving...!! Its just that the current owner either cant afford to or doesn't think that it is..?? which..??

If you were offered a load of cash to restore it you would.?..how much will it cost ..how long would it take...and what would I do with triggers broom afterwards.

So its worth saving...!! Its just that the current owner either cant afford to or doesn't think that it is..?? which..??

If you were offered a load of cash to restore it you would.?..how much will it cost ..how long would it take...and what would I do with triggers broom afterwards.

Perhaps if you had started with intelligent questions rather than a load of insulting and abusive crap designed to make yourself feel important, someone would be bothered to engage with you.

The restoration and preservation of a representative cross section of canal working boats helps to preserve the heritage and culture of the waterways. What they are made of is irrelevant. Some are in such a condition that they are, at the moment, beyond economic repair; that does not mean that they will always be so. The Waterways Trust and the museums are incapable of recognising or caring for historically significant craft and the only effective means of preservation is, as it has always been, the private owner or trust. There needs to be an agreement with whatever body takes over from BW that no more of these boats will be destroyed or allowed to decay without a meaningful discussion with individuals and organisations who understand the history and technology that produced them.The survival of the remaining working river and canal boats and barges cannot be left to the whims of museum directors who cannot see further than numbers of people through the doors. The fleet of decaying boats needs to be removed from their care which will give them more space to install push button displays for school parties. It is sad but not surprising that many boaters including numbers of contributors to this forum see the canals only as they are now and cannot seem to realise that the system has grown over perhaps two thousand years and is was not developed to provide sites for cheap twenty first century housing full of clone craft built by steel fabricators with a bit of spare capacity. Historic craft, especially those built by small yards for specific waterways, have an individuality and fitness for purpose that is all to often sadly lacking in the modern pastiche. Regards, HughC.

• Greenie 1

The "triggers broom" comment clearly demonstrates your ignorance.

Wooden narrow boats (with a very small number of exceptions) would be more accurately described as "composite" boats as they have a large amount of ironwork in them.

The planks of a wooden boat are replaced, every 20 years or 30 years, but the iron knees and structural woodwork which dictate the shape and character of the boat, on Umbriel, are still in very good condition,after over 70 years (apart from the counter block, which is the reason for her sinking and difficulty in refloating).

As you are someone who owns a burnt out wreck, that many people would have dismissed as not worth saving, your attitude would surprise me, if I didn't take into account your ignorance.

If I was offered loads of cash then yes, I would restore it. If that is a serious offer could you get in touch by PM? ;)

Edited by carlt

Perhaps if you had started with intelligent questions rather than a load of insulting and abusive crap designed to make yourself feel important, someone would be bothered to engage with you.

No No .. thats not what I did but exactly what you've just done....I presume because you have nothing useful to say.

The thing that I never understand about people criticing the actions and/or efforts of others (when those actions and/or efforts don't affect them, either advantagely or detrimental), is why they get so worked up about what other get up to, in their own time, with their own money. Is it simply a "'retired major' writes to the Daily Mail " syndrom, or jealousy, or simply an anger management issue?

No No .. thats not what I did but exactly what you've just done....I presume because you have nothing useful to say.

I have plenty to say on the subject of restoring wooden canal boats in general, and Walker's boats in particular, just not to you, who i consider to show yourself to be an ignorant idiot every time you open your mouth.

The thing that I never understand about people criticing the actions and/or efforts of others (when those actions and/or efforts don't affect them, either advantagely or detrimental), is why they get so worked up about what other get up to, in their own time, with their own money. Is it simply a "'retired major' writes to the Daily Mail " syndrom, or jealousy, or simply an anger management issue?

Are you referring to Carl's comment on Evo's burnt and twisted boat or Evo's comments on Umbriel, or both? ;)

I would suggest that the owner THINKs it is as he and others have been trying for months to save her, probably the best part of a year now, so he didn't give in easily.

Edit to add first posting about this December 20009

Edited by ditchcrawler

Another one...!!! I haven't criticised anyone, oh, your talking about whats been said to me..?? dont worry about me, I enjoy it.

I wouldn't waste my money Carl - as you must of allready guessed. It seems I'm not the only one.

I appreciate restoring old things...I have 2 old motorcycles I restored myself. They are no good to anybody though...they stand in my garage year after year with their tyres and batteries dissolving. Some of you dont understand, once you've had your fun playing with all the old stuff and emulating old craftsmanship and techniques, working with old materials and generally having a good old time, the boat has to go somewhere, it has to be maintained, it falls apart alarminly quickly.

snip...

Are you referring to Carl's comment on Evo's burnt and twisted boat or Evo's comments on Umbriel, or both? ;)

My comment was more a general reflection on the kind of response that is often brought by people with no direct connection to a particular event, triggered indeed by Evo's rather harsh tone in this debate. I'm sure that Carl (and others involved in wooden boat restoration.. :rolleyes: ) would be happy to discuss the subject for hours, sensibly and constructively. But why some people feel that they need to attack, and dengrate, other's efforts, when these efforts have nothing to do with them, I don't get.

I appreciate restoring old things...I have 2 old motorcycles I restored myself. They are no good to anybody though...they stand in my garage year after year with their tyres and batteries dissolving. Some of you dont understand, once you've had your fun playing with all the old stuff and emulating old craftsmanship and techniques, working with old materials and generally having a good old time, the boat has to go somewhere, it has to be maintained, it falls apart alarminly quickly.

Therein lies the difference.

I covered hundreds of thousands of miles, on my classic bikes.

I continuously cruised a pair of wooden boats with a combined age of 130 years.

My 78 year old lifeboat gets far more use than many of the modern boats, on the boatyard.

Until recently my daily drive was a 1965 Triumph Herald and my 1964 Dormobile visited the Llyn Peninsula, Aldeburgh, Dorset and Cleveland.

No point having them, if you don't use them.

It would appear, judging from how you describe your bikes, that it is you who doesn't understand.

Edited by carlt

Do you want to see pictures of my Triumph Vitesse on the beach in spain, my 59 tiger cub up a hillside doing a pre65 trial, My 1954 Enfield upside down at the bottom of a hill or tank high in a river..or my 1927 BSA 250 with its acetylene lights blaring...!!! You know practically nothing at all about me but most of you spend your time criticising what you think I am.

Am I in a room full of ex school teachers here. Hmmm thats it isn't it you alll are or were school teachers. Bloody hell.

Edited by Evo

Do you want to see pictures of my Triumph Vitesse on the beach in spain, my 59 tiger cub up a hillside doing a pre65 trial, My 1954 Enfield upside down at the bottom of a hill or tank high in a river..or my 1927 BSA 250 with its acetylene lights blaring...!!! You know practically nothing at all about me but most of you spend your time criticising what you think I am.

Am I in a room full of ex school teachers here. Hmmm thats it isn't it you alll are or were school teachers. Bloody hell.

I didn't criticise what i think you are ( I don't know you, what with the power of the internet, you may well be Svetlana, a 19 stone Uzbekistan lady with an excesive facial hair problem, and a book on Classic English Motorcycles... ;) ). I did wonder why you used such a harsh approach, when you initially put down the efforts to save Umbriel.

B)

• Greenie 1

I'm criticising what you have said, not what you are.

As you say, I have no idea who you are but I am entitled to form an opinion, based on what you post here.

You say that your bikes are rotting away, through lack of use, I based my response on that, not my non-existent telepathic powers, enabling me to see your life story, which may well rubbish your previous comments, which would change my opinion.

As an ex school teacher who has also restored two joshers, one of which was sitting on the bottom when I bought it and the other had a paper-thin hull, I find your latest non sequitur amusing in the extreme.