Sunken Boat - GU

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

If you get a professional to do it, btw, expect no change from £70k and budget £90k+.

Which if you consider the price of a 'new' boat I would say that is a pretty good deal,

which sort of companies take this sort of work on?

Which if you consider the price of a 'new' boat I would say that is a pretty good deal,

which sort of companies take this sort of work on?

Jem bates, Malcom Webster, R W Davis, Brinklow boats would probably and, usually, the people in the "list of elite boat builders" who know how to build boats, rather than stick bits of metal together.

But if the boat with a hole in it is your home surely it is of paramount importance to fix it rather than run the risk of it sinking and you losing everything.

Madness, how can they leave it like that? :lol:

Everything's so simple in Phylis world

Jem bates, Malcom Webster, R W Davis, Brinklow boats would probably and, usually, the people in the "list of elite boat builders" who know how to build boats,

rather than stick bits of metal together.

Uh! We've just bought one like that, 'A Josher Washer' I believe they're called. It's the closest thing we'll ever get to a proper narrow boat. All we can do is

admire the real thing from a distance. :lol:

Mike

• 2 months later...

Umbriel remains as it was on the puddle banks, attempts to pump it out were taking place late last Sunday afternoon. It didnt seem to be moving very much, the boat in the foreground with the pump onit is alongside the sunken Umbriel

Umbriel-pumpoutb5-10.jpg

Umbriel remains as it was on the puddle banks, attempts to pump it out were taking place late last Sunday afternoon. It didnt seem to be moving very much, the boat in the foreground with the pump onit is alongside the sunken Umbriel

Umbriel-pumpoutb5-10.jpg

The "sink a boat next to it and refloat that one", technique.

I've always wanted to try that method but never found anyone who'd lend me a boat, to do it.

I've always wanted to try that method but never found anyone who'd lend me a boat, to do it.

How does that work then?

I presume you have to get ropes under the casualty , sink the rescue boat to just about floating then tighten the ropes and pump out the rescue boat? I see a lot of problems with that . What about the recovery "jacks" I have seen used on Manchester Collieries box boats years ago? Boat either side and large screws on timbers across, wind the screws and lift the boat ,once the gunnels are clear , get baling with buckets or better , deploy the Coventry Climax Firepump.(does 500gpm on a good day!)

Bill

How does that work then?

I presume you have to get ropes under the casualty , sink the rescue boat to just about floating then tighten the ropes and pump out the rescue boat? I see a lot of problems with that . What about the recovery "jacks" I have seen used on Manchester Collieries box boats years ago? Boat either side and large screws on timbers across, wind the screws and lift the boat ,once the gunnels are clear , get baling with buckets or better , deploy the Coventry Climax Firepump.(does 500gpm on a good day!)

Bill

There exist iron hooks, which were used by Ken Keay, among others, which slide under the bottoms for, originally. side slipping boats, for maintenance.

I know someone who has a set of these, who may well be involved in this refloat, and they would make the lift much easier, and less likely to harm the boat, than tying off elsewhere though, after this length of time, urgency may well make risk taking more necessary.

Personally I would get all the pumps going then drag the boat, using Tirfors, closer to the bank, otherwise I think the dredger will be called in.

Umbriel has a triple keelson so should be strong enough to take some abuse.

I have some brilliant pictures somewhere of an 'incident' where someone was trying to raise a sunken (metal) boat using a similar method and inadvertently ended up with both sunk. I will see if I can find them and scan them in.

Hopefully they can get her up soon. Would be a terrible shame to end up with another Usk.

• 1 month later...

Hi Carl

My mum and dad saw mick last week in dav and he said he had been trying to get her refloating

but didnt have anuff pumps and when they told me i remembered in surrey ive got a big industrial pump

sat in the fathering laws garage.

It hasnt been used for years but if i check it work when i go down at the weekend i could bring it back.

Do you think this would be any good? or could you find out if they still need pumps as i dont have any numbers any1.

Cheers Dale

Hi Carl

My mum and dad saw mick last week in dav and he said he had been trying to get her refloating

but didnt have anuff pumps and when they told me i remembered in surrey ive got a big industrial pump

sat in the fathering laws garage.

It hasnt been used for years but if i check it work when i go down at the weekend i could bring it back.

Do you think this would be any good? or could you find out if they still need pumps as i dont have any numbers any1.

Cheers Dale

Hi Dale

It can't hurt to try.

I'm afraid I don't have any numbers, any more, but you can probably get hold of Colin, through U.C.C.

I haven't spoken to Mick for years so i have no way of contacting him, I'm afraid.

Taken Saturday:

126298840.jpg

Tim

• 3 months later...

Hi Dale

This picture, taken on 10 September by the bloggers The Meaning of Ubrique are not too promising:

100_8078.jpg

It looks like they have tried tirforing it closer to the bank, to get the gunwales above the water.

The photo looks like the backcabin and engineroom section is pointing in a different direction to the bow and hold. This may mean she's broken planks and won't refloat.

I hope this isn't the case, and it's just the camera angle, but it looks a bit bleak.

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to get down and have a look at her but we are busy getting ready to move house.

I do hope she has'nt broken apart but if she has it might make it easyer to get on the bank in 2 half's!

even if they could shorten her once out it would be better than seeing another old wooden boat be destroyed.

A shame they couldnt get her next to lucy.

We came past Umbriel on Monday and a gent was there with 2 pumps on the go.

I bumped into someone who has been involved in trying to raise her, today, and it would seem that they have accepted defeat, after getting, at one point, 8 pumps on the go, with no visible effect.

So if they cannot get her up what will they do because they can't really get a crane down there?

Or will it be a dredger breaking it up.

I'd just love the engine whatever state it is in now!

I guess it will be the dredger.

It was Mick I bumped into, btw, who told me that it was the engine he was interested in rescuing but, if Colin hadn't got it back together (it was in bits, last I heard, waiting on parts) then it might not be worth saving, after a year under water, stripped down.

I guess it will be the dredger.

I don't know how deep the hold is, but can they not get some 1000l IBC tanks under timbers wedged under the gunel liner plank??

sink the IBC in, then use air compressor to displace the water, 1000l of displaced water is 1 ton of lift.

The weight of the back end is tricky, but a pair rigged up each side of the counter??

After all, surely it's less than four tons of boat you need out of the water to get the gunnels up, then you are pumping as normal.

Simon.