Sunken Boat - GU

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

Holy crap Carl..you've gotta get off this obsession with attacking me. All you've basically done is confirm everything I said.

Crikey a professional boat restorer doesn't think it worth it...A wooden boat Society doesn't hold it in any higher esteem than those it allready has. Even you dont think its worth it..!!!

What the hell are you arguing about. I got it right first time then..!!

Look I'm as sad as anyone to see things like this left to rot, hell, I dont even like seeing old rivetted Joeys left half sunk and neglected.

I'm realistic though, If I could afford it and wasn't working I'd take it on myself and really enjoy it, be straight round to see you for all the advice I could get. Oh for a big money win eh.

Holy crap Carl..you've gotta get off this obsession with attacking me. All you've basically done is confirm everything I said.

Crikey a professional boat restorer doesn't think it worth it...A wooden boat Society doesn't hold it in any higher esteem than those it allready has. Even you dont think its worth it..!!!

I'm not attacking you, merely responding to the rubbish you are spouting.

I'm sure he wouldn't have spent around a year of his life trying to float it, if the owner didn't think it was worth it, the WCBS cannot take any more boats and I think it is well worth restoring but I have no intention of ever owning a boat on BW waters again and Umbriel will be gone by the time I've weighed up BW's successor.

Once again you reinterpret my words to suit your own skewed agenda which, considering your backtracking..."Look I'm as sad as anyone to see things like this left to rot"...you're realising that you've dug yourself a hole that you're just too proud to climb out of.

I've got a good idea instead of blasting back and forwards at one another why not all go down and :help:help raise Umbriel weather you like or dislike the boat. As it will ether brake her or fingers crossed get her up and clear the waterway one way or another. :cheers:

All the hot air on hear we could attach a balloon canopy to her and let you blow it you she'll be raise in minuets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Greenie 2

Juno's for sale at £42,000 too ?

(Edited to add: it's got a wooden bottom, or is that too much info ?)

Juno is a motor conversion from a butty, and, to my eye, something doesn't look quite right with the way it has been done.

I can't say what exactly, but it doesn't look like a Star class that started out as a "motor" to me.

Juno is a motor conversion from a butty, and, to my eye, something doesn't look quite right with the way it has been done.

I can't say what exactly, but it doesn't look like a Star class that started out as a "motor" to me.

Possibly because at the time when the fore end of JUNO was converted to a counter sterned motor (1978/79) owners were not so interested in Small Woolwich motor replication and a straight forward (but attractive) counter stern was sufficient. This is also the case with the buttys ALPHONS, SATELLITE, URANUS and LYNX which were all fitted with counter sterns at about the same time. The counter stern of RIGAL (1979) looks much more Large Woolwich than Small Woolwich to me, but as I have said before this is all a part of each boats 'colourful' history.

Interestingly (and in order of conversion) ALPHONS, SATELLITE, URANUS and JUNO were all converted to motor boats by the same boat builder and the quality of the conversions should be first class, if not a replication. I am not sure who did the steel counter on LYNX but I am certain it was one of the boat builders at Norton Canes.

I've got a good idea instead of blasting back and forwards at one another why not all go down and :help:help raise Umbriel weather you like or dislike the boat. As it will ether brake her or fingers crossed get her up and clear the waterway one way or another. :cheers:

All the hot air on hear we could attach a balloon canopy to her and let you blow it you she'll be raise in minuets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said, clearly you are more mature than our regular combatants contributors. Still, imagine for a moment Carl And Evo on site together :rolleyes: . . . Let us know when and I will attend with my camera and pull on a rope etc if requested to. I so wish I had more, practical or monetary, assistance to offer.

If you agree please 'vote up' dmw_boatboy's post as I have! Click the little green '+', bottom right.

Alan

• Greenie 1

Well said, clearly you are more mature than our regular combatants contributors. Still, imagine for a moment Carl And Evo on site together :rolleyes: . . . Let us know when and I will attend with my camera and pull on a rope etc if requested to. I so wish I had more, practical or monetary, assistance to offer.

If you agree please 'vote up' dmw_boatboy's post as I have! Click the little green '+', bottom right.

Alan

That's a little unfair.

I have refloated over 40 wooden boats (and a few metal and plastic ones), over the last 15 years and have almost 30 years experience of sailing, repairing and owning wooden boats.

I spent a month, working full time, unpaid, refloating Umbriel, when she sank in the centre channel, at Brinklow, 9 years ago.

It is a little annoying when someone who knows nothing about the subject comes along spouting negative, ill-informed rubbish and I have every right to respond.

If Evo chose to come and help me float a sunken boat I imagine we would get on just fine, and get on with the job.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

I've got a good idea instead of blasting back and forwards at one another why not all go down and :help:help raise Umbriel weather you like or dislike the boat.

I have offered my help, Dale, but now Colin has given up (and now got Hesperus) and Mick doesn't want her, what do we do with her once floating?

When Usk was torched she was easy to refloat (I kept her sunk so that she wasn't vandalised further) yet nobody wanted her.

She was refloated with no problems whatsoever and was towed easily, to Braunston Marina, to be craned out and destroyed because there was nowhere for her to go and nobody wanted her.

So many people say how sad it is and something should be done to save these boats but, when it comes to taking them on, nobody steps forward.

It would be interesting to know what allready restored wooden boats are actually doing now.

Here's one just for your perusal

A 1934 Wooden Seine Fisher built by Forbes of Sandhaven eventually laid up circ 1974

emblem16.jpg

emblem15.jpg

4.jpg

emblem3.jpg

P1010852.jpg

Image000.jpg

about the same age as Umbriel and 40 yrs of the North Sea to contend with.

Heres a couple of Dunkirk Little Ships

100_0483.jpg

Why does a wodden boat have to be a Trip boat or Museum piece to give enjoyment and satisfaction to many people?

<snip> ... Why does a wodden boat have to be a Trip boat or Museum piece to give enjoyment and satisfaction to many people?

I've wondered that too (whether wood, iron or composite). A little while back I was of a mind to take on a project, but the prevailing wisdom at BW was to sell only to charities and worthy groups not private individuals.

I gather that's changed a bit since then, but for me and I suspect for other's too (?), it's simply nice to see heritage boats out and about (whether moored or moving), mixed in with the modern stuff, and not "banged up" as floating exhibits in a museum. Both private individuals and organised groups can find themselves limited by cash flow, but surely private owners are just as passionate about their boats as are the charities and are as determined as possible to keep them in existence ?

• Greenie 2

I have offered my help, Dale, but now Colin has given up (and now got Hesperus) and Mick doesn't want her, what do we do with her once floating?

When Usk was torched she was easy to refloat (I kept her sunk so that she wasn't vandalised further) yet nobody wanted her.

She was refloated with no problems whatsoever and was towed easily, to Braunston Marina, to be craned out and destroyed because there was nowhere for her to go and nobody wanted her.

So many people say how sad it is and something should be done to save these boats but, when it comes to taking them on, nobody steps forward.

Seeing Usk being destroyed is still one of the saddest sights I've seen since being a boaty type. I admit to knowing very little of the history of the canals (aside from school trips to Portland Basin on the Ashton) but I'd read Carl's story not long after joining the forum, so recognised the boat that was being bashed apart with a digger, and knew it was someone's home. I'm not in a position to step forward and offer any practial or financial help, but it really is sad.

Despite threads like this being somewhat peppered with negativity, I appreciate the chance to learn more about wooden boats, how they are maintained, and how they can be fixed.

But, hey, we're doing our bit with the history of the future with our 30 year old plastic topped beast :D

(By the way Carl - do you know what's happening with Lichfield, still looking sad at Blue Lias?)

Seeing Usk being destroyed is still one of the saddest sights I've seen since being a boaty type. I admit to knowing very little of the history of the canals (aside from school trips to Portland Basin on the Ashton) but I'd read Carl's story not long after joining the forum, so recognised the boat that was being bashed apart with a digger, and knew it was someone's home. I'm not in a position to step forward and offer any practial or financial help, but it really is sad.

Despite threads like this being somewhat peppered with negativity, I appreciate the chance to learn more about wooden boats, how they are maintained, and how they can be fixed.

But, hey, we're doing our bit with the history of the future with our 30 year old plastic topped beast :D

(By the way Carl - do you know what's happening with Lichfield, still looking sad at Blue Lias?)

Not sure I'm interested in saving a boat just because it's made of wood, I think I'd be interested just because it's old....

If Evo chose to come and help me float a sunken boat I imagine we would get on just fine, and get on with the job.

Absolutely. B)

What sort of money would he want for Umbriel..???...Nothing I presume if the next step is for BW to move in and smash it up.

Ps..not interested my arse...I've spent ages on that wcbs site and on the internet searching for various boats. I'm not saying you've converetd me into a big sentimental softy Carl, I still dont think things should be restored for the sake of it, especially things this size, but I do appreciate why folk want to do it.

Sorry, I don't know.

I'd have thought it would be gone by now, unless somebody has offered it a reprieve.

And us, but it's still sat there getting worse by the week. Never seen anybody around when we're there, but it did recently have lots of masking tape down the sides!

If you've the time I'd recommend the Wooden Canal Boat Society. www.wcbs.org.uk

Thanks, Smelly - I've come across their webiste before, and know that bit of the canal rather well (including the school trips to Portland Basin circa 1984). Wish I'd been more interested when living within spitting distance a few years ago. Although, maybe my boaty interest was already there - living in a grotty, minging flat in Ashton, a wander round there was what made me believe the world wasn't all shite. Or maybe it was the great weekends getting rat arsed with boaters when I was an Army Cadet at the Tameside Canal Festival :P

Edited by creamcheese

• 6 months later...

From t'other thread.

I'm guessing that the absence of the back cabin means that they ripped the back end off, trying to Tirfor it back up to the bank.

I see from your photos that they have salvaged the back cabin which is nice because, despite it's poor condition, there are some nice original features, surviving, inside.

What are we talking about here, in terms of places which could accomodate the boat whilst repairs are underway, materials, time??

I'm going self employed, which may mean having periods without work, when I'd be free to help with something like this.

I've no particular experience of boat projects on this scale, but I do know I prefer working with wood rather than metal, and I'd be prepared to do some of the donkey work, and to learn.

• 8 years later...

Just tying up a loose end.

63618 according to  CP boat list was UMBRIEL, which I presume is now no more.

This was the boat in 9/2004 on the Oxford.

The name T & S Element was on the cabin side

322408.jpg

Edited by Heartland