Sunken Boat - GU

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

Always sad to see, there is a motor moored alongside a butty just clear of the winding hole on the puddlebanks at Wolfhampcote on the GU. which is obviously sat on the bottom. I am assuming the owner is aware. From the BW number on it I believe it could be Umbriel but I am uncertain (I can only make out 4 of the 5 numbers)

The wind generator is still spinning, dont suppose it is putting in much charge.

sunk1.jpg

Sunk-3.jpg

Yeah looks very sad! Shame :lol:

With it being a wooden boat I reckon Carl would be able to confirm the name.

That's a shame, it's going to be really awkward to refloat at that depth without damage. Round our way, boats like that sit on the bottom without being sunk.I wish our canal was that deep. Any ideas for re-floating her? Air bags? Raise the gunnels above water and pump out with some heavyduty pumps?

Bill

I suppose air bags, like they used on Pippistrelle(sp?) but have them evenly distributed so the boat doesn't roll over! Once the gunnels are then above the water, it'd be interesting to see what a couple of large pumps could do.

Depends on why it went down in the first place I suppose. If it's got a plank missing or any other large hole I'd obviously looking at patching them first though.

Lets hope there's nothing of value, whether sentiment or cost, in the back cabin as it would be a bloody shame.

I suppose air bags, like they used on Pippistrelle(sp?) but have them evenly distributed so the boat doesn't roll over! Once the gunnels are then above the water, it'd be interesting to see what a couple of large pumps could do.

Depends on why it went down in the first place I suppose. If it's got a plank missing or any other large hole I'd obviously looking at patching them first though.

Lets hope there's nothing of value, whether sentiment or cost, in the back cabin as it would be a bloody shame.

I think this happened in the gales a couple of weeks back

Yes it is indeed Umbriel and the butty is Ariel.

I raised Umbriel, about 8 years ago, at Brinklow, when she was in the centre channel in about 8 feet of water.

I shall wander up there tomorrow (today, now, looking at the time), to see if there is anything I can do to help.

The UCC tug moored there looks like they have a plan.

No air bags. Plywood nailed to the side planks then builders plastic wrapped round is the usual method, when it is this deep.

It probably sank because it doesn't have much back end and the bilge pump failed.

Once the stern drops a bit Umbriel sinks in seconds.

Yes it is indeed Umbriel and the butty is Ariel.

I raised Umbriel, about 8 years ago, at Brinklow, when she was in the centre channel in about 8 feet of water.

I shall wander up there tomorrow (today, now, looking at the time), to see if there is anything I can do to help.

The UCC tug moored there looks like they have a plan.

No air bags. Plywood nailed to the side planks then builders plastic wrapped round is the usual method, when it is this deep.

It probably sank because it doesn't have much back end and the bilge pump failed.

Once the stern drops a bit Umbriel sinks in seconds.

Hello Carl

whats happening with UMBRIEL? has she been refloated & is ariel ok?

mike

"No air bags. Plywood nailed to the side planks then builders plastic wrapped round is the usual method, when it is this deep."

What does this mean?

It means you nail plywood sheets to the side planks, effectively raising the gunwhale height to above water level and then wrapping rolls of builder's plastic around the boat to seal gaps between the ply.

Then chuck the pumps in an d wait for it to float.

Hello Carl

whats happening with UMBRIEL? has she been refloated & is ariel ok?

mike

I haven't been able to get up there but Umbriel's safe enough.

Ariel's fine, though she could benefit from wooden top bends and front deck :lol:

"It means you nail plywood sheets to the side planks, effectively raising the gunwhale height to above water level and then wrapping rolls of builder's plastic around the boat to seal gaps between the ply."

Jeeezzzz that sounds like an awful lot of hardship! wouldn't it be easier to put straps under it and lift it with two boats? If it is a wooden boat it must weigh very little in the water.

"It means you nail plywood sheets to the side planks, effectively raising the gunwhale height to above water level and then wrapping rolls of builder's plastic around the boat to seal gaps between the ply."

Jeeezzzz that sounds like an awful lot of hardship! wouldn't it be easier to put straps under it and lift it with two boats? If it is a wooden boat it must weigh very little in the water.

You're right, it would be simple...once you've worked out how to get straps, under a sunken boat, hired the lifting equipment, persuaded two boat owners that their boats won't be damaged/sunk, with all the lifting equipment attached to it.........

You're right, it would be simple...once you've worked out how to get straps, under a sunken boat, hired the lifting equipment, persuaded two boat owners that their boats won't be damaged/sunk, with all the lifting equipment attached to it.........

The world is full of experts, who have never done the job themselves. Having witnessed you in the process of lifting a sunken wooden narrowboat, it beats me why some people still think they know how to do the job more easily.

The world is full of experts, who have never done the job themselves. Having witnessed you in the process of lifting a sunken wooden narrowboat, it beats me why some people still think they know how to do the job more easily.

I have refloated metal boats by winching the the gunwales higher than the waterline and I did, as a desperate measure, winch a wooden boat out of the centre channel successfully (BW were watching from the dredger, laughing at my efforts) but I would never, in normal circumstances, attach pulling or lifting kit to a wooden boat.

The easiest way to float anything is to take out the water, otherwise you are, at some point, lifting the water as well as the boat.

Wooden boats are another world. For a metal boat, being sunk is a disaster - all the interior is wrecked, the engine destroyed, your world in tatters.

Wooden boats, well it's a good way of preserving the hull! A bit of a dive now and again is no big deal.

I suppose I'm taken with how with a wooden boat it's the hull that is everything. With a metal boat it's the fit-out.

Richard

Well I was thinking much the same question as WJM - so it's great to get a good answer as to why you think something seemingly obvious isn't the way it's actually done.

If this boat is a serial sinker, why has no one thought to fix the problem? :lol:

The problem is that it has no back end, at all.

It needs a new counter block which is a heck of a lump of wood, to carve and a long tome in dry dock, which is always a problem now that most drydocks cater for a week here, a week there.

It also takes longer to plan a restoration, than it does to execute it.

It needs a new counter block which is a heck of a lump of wood, to carve and a long tome in dry dock, which is always a problem now that most drydocks cater for a week here, a week there.

But four (almost five) years :lol:

Wooden boats are another world. For a metal boat, being sunk is a disaster - all the interior is wrecked, the engine destroyed, your world in tatters.

Wooden boats, well it's a good way of preserving the hull! A bit of a dive now and again is no big deal.

I suppose I'm taken with how with a wooden boat it's the hull that is everything. With a metal boat it's the fit-out.

Richard

When Lucy sank I lost everything.

It had a professional fit out, a home full of possessions, clothes, kids toys, furniture, swmbo's irreplaceable artwork, telly, sound equipment and computers. Not to mention passports, driving licences, things that are tricky to replace, when you've spent 10 years living an itinerant lifestyle.

It was a big deal.

But four (almost five) years :lol:

Yes, if you work full time, you have a life to live and you have another boat to work on.

The timescale for Lucy is a lot longer than that.

IMG_1678.JPG

Yes, if you work full time, you have a life to live and you have another boat to work on.

The timescale for Lucy is a lot longer than that.

But if the boat with a hole in it is your home surely it is of paramount importance to fix it rather than run the risk of it sinking and you losing everything.

IMG_1678.JPG

Madness, how can they leave it like that? :lol:

When Lucy sank I lost everything.

It had a professional fit out, a home full of possessions, clothes, kids toys, furniture, swmbo's irreplaceable artwork, telly, sound equipment and computers. Not to mention passports, driving licences, things that are tricky to replace, when you've spent 10 years living an itinerant lifestyle.

It was a big deal.

Sorry Carl. I guess that was a bit close to home.

What I was trying to say was the thing I admire about many wooden boat owners is that it is the boat itself that is of value. This is almost the complete opposite of those who are spending over £100K on a metal boat where it is the fit-out that is what they value.

Losing your home is another matter altogether.

Richard