Sunken Boat - GU

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

In reply to Evo's small minded comments If it hadn't been for wooden working boats you wouldn't have a canal to float your boat! Umbriel was built in August 1935 which means she belongs on the canal a lot more than yours does!

I'll rise above that comment...great pics though. Now thats history, those earlier pics in the thread of it sunk should follow that sequence and you'd have a sort of 80 years of history from start to finish. Whatever happens next wont really be the same will it. I'd prefer:-

Remember UMBRIEL, well heres UMBRIEL II built from the bones of UMBRIEL. The thing is UMBRIEL II will need a purpose or she wont last long at all. Theres not much call for very large Wooden Barges anymore, and not much space in museums for them either. Get her a job as as nice shiny new tour bus chugging round little Venice (or similar) and maybe theres a future. Park her up with some scabby green Taups over her and it becomes sad again. These inanimate objects have to have a function or they get neglected. :(

It would be interesting to know what allready restored wooden boats are actually doing now.

• Greenie 1

I'll rise above that comment...great pics though. Now thats history, those earlier pics in the thread of it sunk should follow that sequence and you'd have a sort of 80 years of history from start to finish. Whatever happens next wont really be the same will it. I'd prefer:-

Remember UMBRIEL, well heres UMBRIEL II built from the bones of UMBRIEL. The thing is UMBRIEL II will need a purpose or she wont last long at all. Theres not much call for very large Wooden Barges anymore, and not much space in museums for them either. Get her a job as as nice shiny new tour bus chugging round little Venice (or similar) and maybe theres a future. Park her up with some scabby green Taups over her and it becomes sad again. These inanimate objects have to have a function or they get neglected. :(

It would be interesting to know what allready restored wooden boats are actually doing now.

A bit like your motor bikes?

Exactly like my bikes...I have my own little museum of bikes - in total 14 of them. You cant do all the necessary maintenance and its very depressing sometimes to see things like the paint fading or spots of rust on the wheel rims .. blah blah. The only ones that degrade slowly are the ones that are used becuase they have a continuous cycle of maintenance and new parts.

The Wooden Canal Boat Society has been keeping five old wooden working boats afloat whilst it gets a Heritage Boatyard working in Stalybridge meanwhile utilising the boats in its recycling/fundraising projects.

It hopes soon to have the yard restoring "Hazel" to use as a respite for those sufering from long term health conditions, etc

It once had "Raymond" in its fold but without the wherewithall to do much with it

Park her up with some scabby green Taups over her and it becomes sad again. These inanimate objects have to have a function or they get neglected. :(

Another example of you making assumptions based on total ignorance.

Umbriel, in recent years, has cruised much of the system from the Thames up to Runcorn, Nottingham GU South etc.

She has been laid up for some time (though making regular dockings, at Braunston bottom lock, for maintenance) because she was awaiting a new counter block.

Surely there is some subject that you are not completely uninformed on, that you can comment on, because you have demonstrated that you know sweet fa about this one.

Time after time you make stupid comments that prove your ignorance of the subject.

Time to stop digging, surely?

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 3

Forget-me-not was in dock, in July, (you've reminded me that they still have my jigsaw), last remnants of the conversion removed, recaulked, a bottom repair and a persistent leak behind a knee finally fixed.

I'm not too sure about Mabel because the owner has been very preoccupied with his new baby and I haven't spoken to him for some time.

I'm guessing that the Bascote boat was the Josher, Beech, as it has a mooring down that way.

Considering some of my comments, in this thread, I would be delighted to know why this one got a negative vote?

• Greenie 2

Blimey Carl you certainly like the ignorance word.. :lol::lol:

So then is this experience, some wonderful academic qualification, or just plain know it all bullshit from you.

I haven't worked it out yet. Are you a professional boat/ship builder, carpenter, joiner, or a competent DIYer

Whats the deal...what makes you think you are some sort of expert and have the right to continually abuse and ridicule.

I could quite easily retaliate to your crap, but I will reserve judgement.

Your the ass making assumptions by the way.. :blush:

• Greenie 1

Blimey Carl you certainly like the ignorance word.. :lol::lol:

Your the ass making assumptions by the way.. :blush:

You continually make incorrect assumptions, based on your lack of knowledge of both the subject and the specific boat.

You say it is not worth restoring, yet you have never seen the boat nor have you any experience of wooden boat construction, maintenance or restoration (not an assumption, you have told us yourself).

I built my first boat as a teenager, bought my first wooden boat 27 years ago and have done many hundreds of hours in dry dock, working on wooden boats, including Umbriel.

I am also a qualified cabinet maker, completing my C&G in 1988.

You say that it is never used yet I, myself have moved it many miles, collected wood, in it, for my boats and others and have already told you where it has travelled to (plus many other places).

It is common practice to lay a boat up, to await work. Umbriel has been laid up twice, in recent years, once while the engine was rebuilt and, more recently, while the owner carves a counter block, out of a large block of oak.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to continue with your aggressive and offensive comments and I assure you, had you not been so ignorant (an appropriate word so I will use it) I would not have been so defensive.

• Greenie 3

Argh OK...

Suggest you look up what the if word means. Are you one of these that speed reads and skips the 2 letter words missing the context completely.

I haven't made a single assumption in this thread, I've made a few suggestions based on evidence relayed - mainly by yourself. Its a forum, people comment and make suggestions, I'm guessing from your reactions mine are too close to home. I dont make them friviously, almost every wooden boat I see is in a very sorry state.

The chances of this one surviving...slim. Maybe even this thread could help in rallying some interest and save it.

• Greenie 3

Argh OK...

Suggest you look up what the if word means. Are you one of these that speed reads and skips the 2 letter words missing the context completely.

Nope. Two letters doesn't erase the many words of rubbish you've typed.

I've made a few suggestions based on evidence relayed - mainly by yourself. Its a forum, people comment and make suggestions, I'm guessing from your reactions mine are too close to home.

Not a single helpful one.

If my reactions are because it's "too close to home, then what about those from other contributors?

Your unhelpful, ignorant "suggestions" have added nothing to this thread and I still don't know why you persist, with a matter that you obviously have no interest in, other than a bit of trolling, and does not affect you.

• Greenie 1

Good point Lucto...OK

1) I could, and like doing it

2) I could afford to

3) They were restorable

4) I'd had them since I was 13

5) I was going to use them for something when I got older

6) I had somewhere to keep them

Now Blodger made a point about a Wooden boat society and a yard and a purpose for the restored boat. Thats all good. Continually re-floating a wreck is expensive, rebuilding a wreck is expensive, having somewhere to do it is expensive. I'm only pointing out the obvious, and the most obvious is that when you have spent all this money and time it has to be worth it. I'm guessing here, but it seems circumstances of all recent owners of this particular boat have always changed, or maybe the costs and worth dont add up - to them. If its a particularly important boat and seriously needs preserving hand it over to Blodgers lot, i think it has more chance that way. Carl wandering up the bank and helping refloat it will ultimately mean it will decay even more and probably just end up sinking again.

Juno's for sale at £42,000 too ?

(Edited to add: it's got a wooden bottom, or is that too much info ?)

Its like offering a child sweets, shame on you!!! Ive had a soft spot [no pun intended ] for Ian for a while and circumstances have changed so I have or should I say was doing a little careful reconasance [out of character] but my cards are on the table now!!!!!!!

Its like offering a child sweets, shame on you!!! Ive had a soft spot [no pun intended ] for Ian for a while and circumstances have changed so I have or should I say was doing a little careful reconasance [out of character] but my cards are on the table now!!!!!!!

Seeing how long she's been for sale, I don't think you'll be beaten in the rush

Richard

Good point Lucto...OK

1) I could, and like doing it

2) I could afford to

3) They were restorable

4) I'd had them since I was 13

5) I was going to use them for something when I got older

6) I had somewhere to keep them

If its a particularly important boat and seriously needs preserving hand it over to Blodgers lot, i think it has more chance that way. Carl wandering up the bank and helping refloat it will ultimately mean it will decay even more and probably just end up sinking again.

1/ Umbriel's owner can do it and does it professionally, considering he has lived on his other boat since 1983 I assume he likes doing it, too.

2/ This is a stumbling block that many boat owners trip over. Not deserving of your negativity.

3/ Umbriel is restorable and is in much better condition than, for example, Raymond, Lucy, Roger, Ian, Albert, Ivy, Stour, Hardy and many other boats, before they were restored or rebuilt.

4/Time is a factor then, or is that just for motorbikes?

5/ The owner is a wooden boat restorer, he moves materials around, with his boats, and lives in his back cabins. This may not constitute "use", to you, but you haven't made much sense, anywhere in this thread, so it doesn't surprise me.

6/Umbriel has a mooring...where do you keep your, restored, formerly burnt out wreck?

The WCBS has a fleet of boats that it maintains, because they feel it is important to, but they are at capacity and cannot take any more so you have made yet another pointless, uninformed suggestion, to add to your list.

Not doing too well, are you?

The owner of Umbriel has been trying to refloat his boat, and home, for months now, and has failed. I imagine his resources, limited to begin with, are now drained and, having been offered another boat, has made, what I know to be, a very difficult decision.

I don't think it worth refloating Umbriel unless someone can take his place.

If someone comes forward then I would be happy to help but I doubt it will happen.

I will construct a pm to send, later on this evening.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1