Sunken Boat - GU

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

I don't know how deep the hold is, but can they not get some 1000l IBC tanks under timbers wedged under the gunel liner plank??

sink the IBC in, then use air compressor to displace the water, 1000l of displaced water is 1 ton of lift.

The weight of the back end is tricky, but a pair rigged up each side of the counter??

After all, surely it's less than four tons of boat you need out of the water to get the gunnels up, then you are pumping as normal.

Simon.

As you can see, in this photo, big tanks were used in Lucy's refloating (and, despite the boat's poor state of repair, they didn't break the boat).

DSCF1560.jpg

When the water was pumped out of them, Lucy did not move one inch, so I'm sure they would have the same effect (or lack of) on Umbriel, unfortunately.

Edited by carlt

Its a shame she's not lying on the bottom of a short pound, drop the level below the gunnels and pump her up from there.

That's the usual thing to do, in short pounds, when BW are in a cooperative mood, of course, which isn't always the case.

Personally, at this stage, if everyone's given up, I would wrap a strap around the engine and tirfor the back end level with the front.

If it breaks then you're no worse off, than if you give up without trying, and, if the engine bearers are weak enough, you may recover the engine, at least.

When the Seven planker, Joeboat, was abandoned, at Napton, the owner recovered his engine by holding his breath, whilst loosening the retaining bolts, then attaching a block and tackle to a convenient tree.

Coffer dam....

BW wouldn't allow a stoppage, for a boat they'd like to see the back of, and, unfortunately there just isn't the will or the money.

The owner has acquired Hesperus, now, apparently, (though chinese whispers may prove this to be as untrue as some of the other myths and untruths attached to wooden boats) so has evidently lost the will to continue with the salvage.

Nobody was interested in rescuing Usk (a straightforward salvage in shallow water) so why would anyone want to take on Umbriel?

Edited by carlt

BW wouldn't allow a stoppage, for a boat they'd like to see the back of, and, unfortunately there just isn't the will or the money.

The owner has acquired Hesperus, now, apparently, (though chinese whispers may prove this to be as untrue as some of the other myths and untruths attached to wooden boats) so has evidently lost the will to continue with the salvage.

Nobody was interested in rescuing Usk (a straightforward salvage in shallow water) so why would anyone want to take on Umbriel?

it also seems to be the same story with ELECTRA that seems to have been left sunk

How many times has this thing sunk and then been refloated..??? ridiculous. Hells teeth Drag it out, chop it up, and load it on someones roof for the winter. How many of these old wooden heaps do we need preserving, I'm sure most are left hanging about just to remind folk how bad something can get. What is the point exactly.??

Edited by Evo
  • Greenie 2

How many times has this thing sunk and then been refloated..??? ridiculous. Hells teeth Drag it out, chop it up, and load it on someones roof for the winter. How many of these old wooden heaps do we need preserving, I'm sure most are left hanging about just to remind folk how bad something can get. What is the point exactly.??

Yep,

We could arrange to use all the wooden ex-working boats for winter fuel.

Not just the ones needing more work, but all of them, and so solve the problem of the ones that haven't sunk yet, before they actually do.

Hang on though - I see a few steel boats sunk too.

Better start cutting them up as well, before they deface the waterways further.

Congratulations Evo on the getting the Baldock award for the most ridiculous post of the month !

Chris

Congratulations Evo on the getting the Baldock award for the most ridiculous post of the month !

Chris

hahaha...very funny....Nobody is going to fix that boat, nobody bothered fixing the other one either did they - Usk..?? so why let it just lie on the bottom messing the place up until it eventually Biodegrades. Oh, and Boatbots boat needs dragging out aswell and melting down or fixing.

Chris

hahaha...very funny....Nobody is going to fix that boat, nobody bothered fixing the other one either did they - Usk..?? so why let it just lie on the bottom messing the place up until it eventually Biodegrades. Oh, and Boatbots boat needs dragging out aswell and melting down or fixing.

Closely followed by the "Most Insensitive TwIt" award too

Richard

Edited by DHutch
lanuage
  • Greenie 2

Insensitive Twat..!!!! whats that all about..!!...its an old rotting lump of wood that Carlt said nobody was interested in saving...Holy turd.

deleted the rest...your not ready for it yet..!!

• Greenie 1

so what is the point of HISTORY? how old is your boat? if its older than 5years why not scrap it to avoid it rusting in the canal.

Hey look...if it was a viable restoration, or even might be viable in the future, then leave it under water for a bit until some cash materialises. Thats not the case though is it...its dragging its arse around sinking every 5 minutes and being left parked at the side of the road. Understand the analogy.

Insensitive Twat..!!!! whats that all about..!!...its an old rotting lump of wood that Carlt said nobody was interested in saving...Holy turd.

deleted the rest...your not ready for it yet..!!

I'll let Carl explain. As he was the owner, suffered the attack by arsonists, and then eventually had to give up with his heroic rescue attempts after BW insisted on trashing Usk, he will do it so much better than I can

Richard

Yep,

We could arrange to use all the wooden ex-working boats for winter fuel.

Not just the ones needing more work, but all of them, and so solve the problem of the ones that haven't sunk yet, before they actually do.

Hang on though - I see a few steel boats sunk too.

Better start cutting them up as well, before they deface the waterways further.

And why on earth are they bothering to save the Cutty Sark after the fire?

How many times has this thing sunk and then been refloated..??? ridiculous. Hells teeth Drag it out, chop it up, and load it on someones roof for the winter.

if its past saving maybe some of the good timber could be used for making something else canal related rather than just burning it.

I'll let Carl explain. As he was the owner, suffered the attack by arsonists, and then eventually had to give up with his heroic rescue attempts after BW insisted on trashing Usk, he will do it so much better than I can

Richard

:) I got slapped by Carlt and others earlier this year for suggesting this particular boat was a hazard causing traffic issues around it etc. I do now have a better understanding and appreciation for the wooden boats and their heritage but do think we cannot save them all as folks do not have bottomless pockets. Perhaps this one will end up as fire wood (which i genuinely think is a sad end), but we should certainly save as many as we can for historic reasons.

Hey look...if it was a viable restoration, or even might be viable in the future, then leave it under water for a bit until some cash materialises. Thats not the case though is it...its dragging its arse around sinking every 5 minutes and being left parked at the side of the road. Understand the analogy.

Thank goodness there are experts like you to assess the viability of prospective restorations.

I remember a time when you could pick up a traction engine for the price of the scrap metal. Now people import them back, from as far as New Zealand, and pay upwards of £25k, for a pile of rust.

As long as there are morons like you, sticking your oar into, what is quite frankly none of your business, then there will be no wooden boats left, to save, when their heritage value is realised.

If you're not interested, by all means, ignore the attempts of others to save historic boats but why make negative comments about something you know nothing about?

There are plenty of historic boats afloat that are far less viable propositions for restoration, than Umbriel, or especially Usk, before it was destroyed, but, because of a superficial paintjob, everybody marvels at what a good job is being done to them, at rallies.

Your ignorant comments reflect your lack of knowledge. Make it shiny and the morons applaud, regardless of what is under the fresh paint.

• Greenie 1

Thank goodness there are experts like you to assess the viability of prospective restorations.

I remember a time when you could pick up a traction engine for the price of the scrap metal. Now people import them back, from as far as New Zealand, and pay upwards of £25k, for a pile of rust.

As long as there are morons like you, sticking your oar into, what is quite frankly none of your business, then there will be no wooden boats left, to save, when their heritage value is realised.

If you're not interested, by all means, ignore the attempts of others to save historic boats but why make negative comments about something you know nothing about?

There are plenty of historic boats afloat that are far less viable propositions for restoration, than Umbriel, or especially Usk, before it was destroyed, but, because of a superficial paintjob, everybody marvels at what a good job is being done to them, at rallies.

Your ignorant comments reflect your lack of knowledge. Make it shiny and the morons applaud, regardless of what is under the fresh paint.

Eloquently put Carl

Thank you

Chris

Oh dear dear me here we go again..same old thing with you biggots "i'm an expert, your an ignorant moron". "Its HISTORIC you cretin." NO ITS NOT...ITS A LUMP OF OLD WOOD WITH A SENTIMENTAL NAME PAINTED ON IT.

Edit:-

And dont start quoting Cutty Sark, Victory, Flying Scotsman....please.

Some old wooden canal boat carries no more importance than a coal mine rail truck and your not rushing around saving those are you.

Edited by Evo
  • Greenie 1

Oh dear dear me here we go again..same old thing with you biggots "i'm an expert, your an ignorant moron". "Its HISTORIC you cretin." NO ITS NOT...ITS A LUMP OF OLD WOOD WITH A SENTIMENTAL NAME PAINTED ON IT.

In your opinion.

Many others may regard your boat as an ugly pastiche, that was NOT WORTH SAVING, dressed up to look nice, by an expert painter, but they choose not to comment, because it's none of their business.

You are obviously talking from a position of ignorance because you make comments about viability for restoration that are quite frankly wrong.

I'd be interested to hear your ideas on what constitutes historic significance because your comments, so far, indicate that you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by carlt