Waved to the near side??

Featured Posts

Whilst cruising last week we approached an angler on the towpath and as I normally do I started to make my move to pass him far side leaving room. However on seeing me do this he waived to me to pass him near side and as close to him as I could pass.

As I passed he shouted to me 'thanks very much' so I knew I hadn't misunderstood.

Anybody know why he would do this?? - I always understood it etiquette to pass far side leaving as much room as poss.

Not a big problem - just would like to know why and if I'm likely to be asked to do the same again.

Dead slow and straight down the middle, if you start moving around to try and suit all anglers you meet you'll probably upset more than you make happy. The dead slow bit is as important as straight down the middle, just in gear on tickover is nice.

As others have said, straight down the middle but if I can see the rod/pole they are using then I try to keep away from there 'swim', where the line enters the water.

If they have one of the long poles and fishing the far bank then I will go as close to them as possible but if using a short rod then will steer to the far bank.

Cannot always see the fisherman person, let alone their rod/pole

I always slow to tickover as per passing a moored boat.

If you meet an isolated fisherman there is a good chance he'll indicate which way he'd like you to go, but in the absence of a signal you may be able to see which side they are fishing and therefore go the other way. Most of the time if they are using a long pole they wil be fishing on the offside and you'll be able to see that as you approach so you should aim for the nearside. If they're using a short rod they could be either side, so it's best to aim for the mddle unless directed otherwise.

It can be very difficult when you meet a line of fishermen in a competition, some fishing nearside and some offside - and probably one or two in the middle as well - all waving at you to go one side or the other to their own benefit and possibly trying also to get you to upset their competitors. You definitely can't please all of them, but going down the centre will usually be the best option.

Do remember that while slowing down is usually the best thing to do, on a windy day you must keep going fast enough to ensure that you don't get blown across to the side. If you run aground next to an angler, squashing his keepnet as you do so, and then churn up the bottom while you struggle to get going again, you're not going to have made him very happy. In fact the first issue of the waterways code for boaters, on the advice of the angling associations, specifically advised against slowing down for this very reason. And on certain waterways (the Chesterfield in particular) you'll get frequent requests to speed up and churn up the mud a bit so the fish can't see so well - but this is definitely on only a minority of waters.

Dead slow and straight down the middle, if you start moving around to try and suit all anglers you meet you'll probably upset more than you make happy. The dead slow bit is as important as straight down the middle, just in gear on tickover is nice.

The advice from BW is

If you’re passing an angler, keep to the centre of the channel unless they

ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace.

The advice from BW is

If you’re passing an angler, keep to the centre of the channel unless they

ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace.

And what is BWs advice to anglers about where they should stick their rods during the boat passing?

why do some leave their rods in the water until the last second? If they did catch a fish 2 seconds before the boat gets to the pole, they cant do anything about it anyway!

Well, at least it would give you a reason to stick in to reverse and rev it up which will nicely stir it up !! When you pass him you can say "sorry mate - I thought you hadn't seen me " or "I thought I was going to run over the rod". They should be courteous too and let you see they have lifted their rod out of the way to avoid you having to take evasive action..

Nick

I generally put it in reverse and raise the revs, to clear the prop you understand, and then slam it in forward to stir up the mud/water. This is to compensate for the fact that 'fisherman' always leave raising the silly poles to the last minute and they always seem to have 'just' caught a miniscule fish as I pass. Cue fisherman/angler debate and yes I despise all of them :lol:

I generally put it in reverse and raise the revs, to clear the prop you understand, and then slam it in forward to stir up the mud/water. This is to compensate for the fact that 'fisherman' always leave raising the silly poles to the last minute and they always seem to have 'just' caught a miniscule fish as I pass. Cue fisherman/angler debate and yes I despise all of them :lol:

I do the same, although i'm looking at fitting some keep nets either side of the good ship, then relaunch her as the MFV Whimbrel

Whilst cruising last week we approached an angler on the towpath and as I normally do I started to make my move to pass him far side leaving room. However on seeing me do this he waived to me to pass him near side and as close to him as I could pass.

As I passed he shouted to me 'thanks very much' so I knew I hadn't misunderstood.

Anybody know why he would do this?? - I always understood it etiquette to pass far side leaving as much room as poss.

Not a big problem - just would like to know why and if I'm likely to be asked to do the same again.

I can speak from experience on this...

Most likely would be that the angler had been fishing the far side of the canal and had been steadily building up a "carpet" of feed to attract fish and/or build up their confidence to feed in that particular area and by the excellent communication in this case his feed was not then washed away.

Generally the fish that live in canals are very open to predators such as Cormorants and tend to hug the far bank vegetation in Summer whilst seeking the deeper water of the channel in Winter as this is where the warmer water is... can't get my head round that one but they are a cold blooded species (fish... not anglers :lol: )

Great to hear such good interraction...

Not that I would go out of my way to piss off anglers but at the end of the day the canals were built for boats - so I just drive down the centre and basically ignore them. :lol:

I can speak from experience on this...

Most likely would be that the angler had been fishing the far side of the canal and had been steadily building up a "carpet" of feed to attract fish and/or build up their confidence to feed in that particular area and by the excellent communication in this case his feed was not then washed away.

Generally the fish that live in canals are very open to predators such as Cormorants and tend to hug the far bank vegetation in Summer whilst seeking the deeper water of the channel in Winter as this is where the warmer water is... can't get my head round that one but they are a cold blooded species (fish... not anglers :lol: )

Great to hear such good interraction...

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.