Waved to the near side??

Featured Posts

The worst option - going down the far bank.....just a big no no! lol

GE

Except, presumably, when has happened to me more than once you are waved towards the far side by anglers and told to "stir them up a bit".

I'll agree the advice you have just given seems the best if you need a general rule, but some anglers do ask you (admittedly only rarely) to do the complete opposite. :lol:

Coming from an angler - down the middle or as close as you can get to the angler and as slow as you can go is probably the preferred option.

The worst option - going down the far bank.....just a big no no! lol

GE

What happens, on a narrow canal, when two boats are coming to pass from opposite directions?

Are the steerers likely to recieve a mouthful of abuse, for being forced to go over the angler's swim?

What happens, on a narrow canal, when two boats are coming to pass from opposite directions?

Are the steerers likely to recieve a mouthful of abuse, for being forced to go over the angler's swim?

For an angler, being 'Double Boated' is just one of those things, you just have to accept it's gonna happen at sometime, it really makes a mess of the swim on some canals ruining the fishing for the rest of the day in some cases. As long as the steerers do all they can to pass causing as little disturbance as they can it shouldn't be an issue, unfortunatly good considerate steerers are few and far between IME

Paul

Except, presumably, when has happened to me more than once you are waved towards the far side by anglers and told to "stir them up a bit".

:lol:

That's bang on... I've found on a few occasions that the bites pick up directly after a boat has gone by and stirred up the bottom a bit.

On one of our local canals (Chesterfield Canal) fishing match attendances were getting so low some time ago due to the clarity of the water and poor results that they were running a boat (I think a weed cutter) along the match length directly before the match and the results imprved!

If the angler doesn't give any clue I try and look for where the float is, assuming he's using a conventional rod and line rather than a roach pole. If he's using a roach pole look for the end of it. I then keep well away from the bit they appear to be fishing.

I don't try and piss anyone off, it may have been built for boats but not for pleasure boats and the canals need all the friends they can get. I'm probably one of the few to get praise from anglers rather than criticism. My favourite was when on shouted "shouldn't it be called 'hardly a' Ripple!"

(Boat's name is Ripple)

If the angler doesn't give any clue I try and look for where the float is, assuming he's using a conventional rod and line rather than a roach pole. If he's using a roach pole look for the end of it. I then keep well away from the bit they appear to be fishing.

I don't try and piss anyone off, it may have been built for boats but not for pleasure boats and the canals need all the friends they can get. I'm probably one of the few to get praise from anglers rather than criticism. My favourite was when on shouted "shouldn't it be called 'hardly a' Ripple!"

(Boat's name is Ripple)

We get smiles and hellos mainly, but that could be due to the cleverly positioned fishing rod hung from the arch :lol:

Having said that the chap whose rod we ran over wasnt a happy chappy

We get smiles and hellos mainly, but that could be due to the cleverly positioned fishing rod hung from the arch :lol:

Phylis... was this you that we saw just outside Lincoln recently?

http://yfrog.com/jlintrepidboatpicj

Edit: Phylis... I've just tested the link and seen the adverts for "How to get ripped in four weeks"...

May have to change my picture host! (Would take me at least a year...)

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

yep - been there done that

There ARE some very inconsiderate arrogant boaters about

Yes yes - the opposite applies just as equally

Edited by Bazza2

i am just glad that its the minority who want to piss anglers off because knowing my luck i would be the next boat through there swim but on a cheerier note a catapult full of maggots seems to remove smug grins quickly.

Yes, it is the minority who actively set out to piss off anglers.

However...

The behaviour of some anglers does tend to put me in a frame of mind to not really care about being accomodating, and frankly any angler who believes that he is justified in firing maggots at a boat to get revenge for any perceived failure to pussy-foot around sufficiently to appease him will find me on the phone to the local constabulary.

Phylis... was this you that we saw just outside Lincoln recently?

http://yfrog.com/jlintrepidboatpicj

Edit: Phylis... I've just tested the link and seen the adverts for "How to get ripped in four weeks"...

May have to change my picture host! (Would take me at least a year...)

:lol::lol:;)

Not quite that many :lol:

However...

The behaviour of some anglers does tend to put me in a frame of mind to not really care about being accomodating, and frankly any angler who believes that he is justified in firing maggots at a boat to get revenge for any perceived failure to pussy-foot around sufficiently to appease him will find me on the phone to the local constabulary.

The evidence will be likely to fly off before the old bill turn out for that! :lol:

However...

My response to this (twice in many years) has been to go astern towards the maggot on the bank, hopefully crushing whatever gear is in the water, then give it full ahead swamping the said maggot and his gear.

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

My response to this (twice in many years) has been to go astern towards the maggot on the bank, hopefully crushing whatever gear is in the water, then give it full ahead swamping the said maggot and his gear.

George ex nb Alton retired

Very sensible behaviour

Here we go again

Would you call the police if a few maggots got flung at your boat?

I must say the situation has never occured (maybe because we are pleasant to the fisherfolk) but if it did, phoning the police is not what my immediate reaction would be.