Waved to the near side??

Featured Posts

When there is so much water around where anglers can go and fish (certainly around here in Cheshire), can anyone tell me why, if boats are such a problem to the anglers, why they persist in fishing in the canals?

It's very cheap perhaps? But then some of the fishing pools round here hardly charge a fortune to belong.

When there is so much water around where anglers can go and fish (certainly around here in Cheshire), can anyone tell me why, if boats are such a problem to the anglers, why they persist in fishing in the canals?

It's very cheap perhaps? But then some of the fishing pools round here hardly charge a fortune to belong.

Quite often, canal matches are part of a series, the angler fishes them because he wants to do well in the complete series.

As an angler i would say that most of the fishermen are not 'anti boat' at all, but most do get very peed off at inconsideratly steered boats.

Paul

A new take on the story previously reported in another thread ...

Angling Times

British Waterways set to open 122 new stetches across Britain

By Angling Times

Fishery News

23 April 2010 17:00

For less than 3p a day, anglers can target over 300 miles of previously unfished, virgin canals following British Waterway’s decision to license 122 stretches throughout England and Wales.

The new Waterways Wanderers ticket will run for 12 months from the date of purchase and costs just £10 to Angling Trust members, with the price for non-members set at £20.

The exciting development follows a successful trial scheme in the North-West of England, and is sure to prove hugely popular with anglers living close to some of the stretches.

And the provision within the scheme to allow clubs to sign up and run free matches will help to offset concerns that fishing on the nation’s canal network is in the doldrums.

“I’m really pleased to be extending the Waterways Wanderers scheme to the rest of the country – canals are great for beginners and experienced anglers alike,” said BW national fisheries manager John Ellis.

The Angling Trust was also full of praise for the initiative, which should help it to boost member numbers.

“Britain’s canals offer a fantastic resource for anglers of all abilities, both in the countryside and inner city areas. Our members will be able to enjoy all that fishing for just £10 a year,” said Trust boss Mark Lloyd.

And, in the main, angling clubs agreed that the scheme was a positive step forward for the sport.

“It’s outstanding value. Many of the stretches are set in scenic areas and will offer great fishing for a mix of species,” said Warrington AA secretary Frank Lythgoe.

But one person who’s unconvinced is Milton Keynes AA’s chairman Trevor Johnson. He thinks the huge choice of quality commercial fisheries means canals are still well down the pecking order with many anglers.

“I can’t see there being a mad rush to take up this initiative. We control nine miles of some of the nation’s best canal fishing on the Grand Union, but its popularity has declined dramatically,” said Trevor.

A new take on the story previously reported in another thread ...

Angling Times

British Waterways set to open 122 new stetches across Britain

By Angling Times

Fishery News

23 April 2010 17:00

For less than 3p a day, anglers can target over 300 miles of previously unfished, virgin canals following British Waterway’s decision to license 122 stretches throughout England and Wales.

The new Waterways Wanderers ticket will run for 12 months from the date of purchase and costs just £10 to Angling Trust members, with the price for non-members set at £20.

The exciting development follows a successful trial scheme in the North-West of England, and is sure to prove hugely popular with anglers living close to some of the stretches.

Yes, already reported.

It is, of course, all spin.

What it means is that whilst previously stretches of canal that weren't leased to an angling club were avaiolable FOC to anybody with a rod licence, BW will now be charging.

Answer me this then Dave, if a boat and a canoe were approaching each other from opposite direction on a canal approaching a bottle neck of some sorts (say a bridge - where only one boat can pass at any time)...

Now should the boat stop to allow the canoe to pass first?

GE

Once you have supplied sufficient information to answer (such as who is closest to the bridge), it might be possible to answer the question.

However, all things being equal, the canoeist, being a vessel not constrained by the channel, would give way. If the canoeist had any brains, he would give way anyway, because if there is a collision, he will inevitably come off worst.

Guest wanted

we paddle from time to time, and give way to boats, like dave say's, i'm going to come off worse in a canoe and also I have the ability to get in the shallows. Also, I am a massive chicken, and even a little NB looks massive when you are in a canoe! :lol:

Answer me this then Dave, if a boat and a canoe were approaching each other from opposite direction on a canal approaching a bottle neck of some sorts (say a bridge - where only one boat can pass at any time)...

Now should the boat stop to allow the canoe to pass first?

GE

When I was working with Alton, every sunday morning at 10am Bollington canoe club had a race on the Macc. This coincided with my passage of the same water. All the canoeists knew I was there. I used to maintain my steady course and speed as if they weren't there and they would adjust accordingly, even getting out and running round me at times. Given the speed differential between us any attempt at sudden movements by me would be futile.

Only once did I nearly squash a young conoeist in a bridge hole who tried to beat me into it and she got a right bollocking from the club committee when she got back (in one piece).

George ex nb Alton retired

Power gives way to unpowered (normally sail though but i suppose the same applies)

True for sail boats without a means of manouver other than wind propulsion. But a canoe, or other rowing boat, is not unpowered. As already pointed out, it is much easier for a canoe or rowing boat to adjust course or speed than for a larger NB. Common sense should prevail.

True for sail boats without a means of manouver other than wind propulsion. But a canoe, or other rowing boat, is not unpowered. As already pointed out, it is much easier for a canoe or rowing boat to adjust course or speed than for a larger NB. Common sense should prevail.

We just let them get on with it when we come across them unless of course it is the childrens session (which tends to be in Brayford so more space for manouvre) when we give them a little extra time to gather around the instructor like ducklings to mum.

The common sense applies to both boats as well. It is no use the narrowboater assuming right of way because he/she is the bigger vessel.

Edited by Phylis

We just let them get on with it when we come across them unless of course it is the childrens session (which tends to be in Brayford so more space for manouvre) when we give them a little extra time to gather around the instructor like ducklings to mum.

The common sense applies to both boats as well. It is no use the narrowboater assuming right of way because he/she is the bigger vessel.

It isn't about assuming right of way.

It is simple practicalities. If I'm in a narrowboat, and I try to give way to a canoeist, I am very likely to end up at an angle that will make it dangerous for the canoeist.

It isn't about assuming right of way.

It is simple practicalities. If I'm in a narrowboat, and I try to give way to a canoeist, I am very likely to end up at an angle that will make it dangerous for the canoeist.

Do you end up at odd angles when you give way to another narrowboat?

Do you end up at odd angles when you give way to another narrowboat?

Yes, and as they come level with me, I correct the angle appropriately, using power.

I wouldn't wish to do this if the boat coming the other way was a canoe.

Yes, and as they come level with me, I correct the angle appropriately, using power.

I wouldn't wish to do this if the boat coming the other way was a canoe.

You maybe need boat handling lessons then if you can not pull your boat up in a straight line on a canal with little or no flow of water.

Or is this an ego trip of my boat is bigger than yours so move?

You maybe need boat handling lessons then if you can not pull your boat up in a straight line on a canal with little or no flow of water.

Or is this an ego trip of my boat is bigger than yours so move?

Oh, do give it a rest, you tiresome woman.

It is nothing to do with boat handling skills.

Pulling a narrowboat up very commonly causes the boat to skew across the canal. No amount of skill can compensate for the fact that once the engine is running astern, you have no way of correcting course.

Not, of course, that you will let the fact that you know the square root of bugger all about handling a narrowboat get in the way of making silly pronouncements on the subject.

And, no it isn't a case of my boat is bigger than yours. It is a case of "my boat is less able to avoid a collision than yours, and the consequences of a collision would be worse for you, so it makes sense for you to give way"

Oh, do give it a rest, you tiresome woman.

It is nothing to do with boat handling skills.

Pulling a narrowboat up very commonly causes the boat to skew across the canal. No amount of skill can compensate for the fact that once the engine is running astern, you have no way of correcting course.

Not, of course, that you will let the fact that you know the square root of bugger all about handling a narrowboat get in the way of making silly pronouncements on the subject.

And, no it isn't a case of my boat is bigger than yours. It is a case of "my boat is less able to avoid a collision than yours, and the consequences of a collision would be worse for you, so it makes sense for you to give way"

Have not seen a narrowboat skew across a canal yet.

You must be on your own with that one. Or do we have any other takers who cant stop their boat with out causing a danger to other users?

Must be interesting on some of these narrow ditches if two boats come across each other in a confined area and neither can control their boat without skewing across the navigation and blocking the path of oncoming traffic.

Looks like a quiet day in the office for Phylis..

I'll put a large pot of coffee on then...

so many threads to follow..

Popcorn please. Not had any this week :lol:

Have not seen a narrowboat skew across a canal yet.

You must be on your own with that one. Or do we have any other takers who cant stop their boat with out causing a danger to other users?

Must be interesting on some of these narrow ditches if two boats come across each other in a confined area and neither can control their boat without skewing across the navigation and blocking the path of oncoming traffic.

Popcorn please. Not had any this week :lol:

Tiresome indeed.

Richard

Sorry, I thought you were telling us about handling narrowboats, not the other way around

Richard

No i commented that maybe Dave needs help and did any others have the same issue.

So, do you skew across the navigation every time you pull up the give way?

Please describe the circumstances completely to me and I'll attempt to answer your question. I'd like to know some details first about the size of the canal, that's width, depth and bottom profile. I'd like to know the wind conditions and the available shelter from hedges and other objects. I'd like to know if I'm on a straight or a bend, what the object is that I'm approaching, how far away the other boat is, how much space I have until I have to stop, how fast I'm going, how fast the other boat is going and any other relevant detail. I may be able to give you an answer then.

Richard

And that's an answer for my boat with me steering. Other boats may behave differently