Waved to the near side??

Featured Posts

The difference is that I have actually steered assorted yoghurt pots over the years, whilst your experience of steering narrowboats is?

A 21ft springer, a 31ft sea otter and a 57ft cruiser sterned narrowboat. None of which i found appealing

Have not seen a narrowboat skew across a canal yet.

You must be on your own with that one. Or do we have any other takers who cant stop their boat with out causing a danger to other users?

Must be interesting on some of these narrow ditches if two boats come across each other in a confined area and neither can control their boat without skewing across the navigation and blocking the path of oncoming traffic.

Yes, it is interesting.

The thing about narrowboats is that, whilst the whole "boating is a contact sport" thing isn't (as some would see it) an excuse to navigate without due care, it is the case that the canal system is such that there are cases where a narrowboat may find it difficult to avoid contact.

When both boats are steel, this isn't a huge problem. When one is of a lighter construction, it can be a problem.

Fortunately, boats of a lighter construction tend to be able to manouver better, and as they are the ones with most to lose, there is a sensible answer to the conundrum that has nothing whatsoever to do with lack of skills, or "my boat is bigger, I'm coming through"

Fortunately, boats of a lighter construction tend to be able to manouver better, and as they are the ones with most to lose, there is a sensible answer to the conundrum that has nothing whatsoever to do with lack of skills, or "my boat is bigger, I'm coming through"

You sure about that, because thats not how your view comes across.

It has nothing to do with whos got the most to lose. An insurance claim is an insurance claim be it steel or GRP boats involved.

You sure about that, because thats not how your view comes across.

It has nothing to do with whos got the most to lose. An insurance claim is an insurance claim be it steel or GRP boats involved.

And most sensible people aren't thinking about every encounter with another boat in those terms.

If two narrowboats hit each other when trying to pass in a difficult spot, then there will be little or no damage, so there isn't an issue.

If a narrowboat and a GRP boat do the same, then there is a small risk that the GRP boat will suffer damage. Certainly the insurance will end up involved if there is, but (for the most part) those involved would rather avoid a collision and insurance claim, added to which, even if the GRP owner gets a payout from the insurers, he will find himself wet, and temporarily without a boat. As the GRP is better able to take avoiding action, it makes sense for him to do so.

If a narrowboat and a canoe do the same, then any canoeist with half a brain should realise that even if the insurance will pay out for a new canoe, he still ends up in the drink, and possibly ends up injured. It makes sense for the canoe to give way.

And most sensible people aren't thinking about every encounter with another boat in those terms.

If two narrowboats hit each other when trying to pass in a difficult spot, then there will be little or no damage, so there isn't an issue.

If a narrowboat and a GRP boat do the same, then there is a small risk that the GRP boat will suffer damage. Certainly the insurance will end up involved if there is, but (for the most part) those involved would rather avoid a collision and insurance claim, added to which, even if the GRP owner gets a payout from the insurers, he will find himself wet, and temporarily without a boat. As the GRP is better able to take avoiding action, it makes sense for him to do so.

If a narrowboat and a canoe do the same, then any canoeist with half a brain should realise that even if the insurance will pay out for a new canoe, he still ends up in the drink, and possibly ends up injured. It makes sense for the canoe to give way.

Two narrowboats hitting each other will end in some damage. There are people on here claiming that GRP boats hitting their steel craft have caused damage so a much heavier steel craft hitting another steel craft will cause damage.

If you expect to get right of way every time you meet an oncoming craft be it steel, grp, canoe or dinghy, it is only a matter of time before you do have a collision resulting in an insurance claim. It is incorrect (and dangerous) to expect that a more manouverable or more vunerable craft will as a matter of course give you right of way.

GRP boats dont sink after every collision they have. Im not quite sure why you suspect they will end up wet or without boat. The narrowboat owner probably has a higher chance of getting wet falling off the back of their boat.

Two narrowboats hitting each other will end in some damage. There are people on here claiming that GRP boats hitting their steel craft have caused damage so a much heavier steel craft hitting another steel craft will cause damage.

If you expect to get right of way every time you meet an oncoming craft be it steel, grp, canoe or dinghy, it is only a matter of time before you do have a collision resulting in an insurance claim. It is incorrect (and dangerous) to expect that a more manouverable or more vunerable craft will as a matter of course give you right of way.

GRP boats dont sink after every collision they have. Im not quite sure why you suspect they will end up wet or without boat. The narrowboat owner probably has a higher chance of getting wet falling off the back of their boat.

Phylis,

one day, you will learn to talk out of the correct end of your body.

Today is not that day.

On the narrow canals, it is reasonably common for two narrowboats to have a minor collision in a tight spot, particularly if an unexpected submerged obstruction affects your course. No damage of any significance occurs. Even a fairly hefty collision isn't going to kill a boat.

If the other boat is of a lighter construction, damage becomes more likely.

Now, perhaps you would like to point out where I have suggested that I will get right of way every time I meet an oncoming craft? Shall I save you the effort? I have never said it, and as a matter of course, I always try to give way if there is any doubt as to who has right of way.

What I have said is that in my opinion, all other things being equal, it is sensible and safer for lightweight craft to give way to heavier craft. That isn't an assumption that they will, or a judgement on them if they fail to do so. It is my opinion as to what I would probably do if I were in their shoes.

No, they won't sink after every collision, but I have experienced cases of canoeists "going for it" at a narrows, where they cannot be seen until it is too late for me to stop (no amount of skill will make a narrowboat stop on a sixpence), and coming seriously close to being crushed between me and the bank

Do try to actually understand what you are discussing, rather than your usual knee-jerk rush to contradict me.

What I have said is that in my opinion, all other things being equal, it is sensible and safer for lightweight craft to give way to heavier craft.

If you wish.

If thats me then Ill clarify that it was my old wooden MFV that was damaged

It isnt/wasnt aimed at you

and to further compound the crap being spouted about boats in reverse..... not all grp craft can manage to go well astern shock horror!!

dads elysian, a 27 foot 9' 6" beam GRP cruiser with a BMC 1500 on a shaft has the most horrific prop walk astern than can be imagened. it wanders to starboard. putting the rudder to port or starboard has little or no effect, it goes to starboard just the same.

this can sometimes be a benefit when mooring up. more often than not it is a total pain in the arse, especially if you need to reverse to port or perform a quick stop, which sods law says you will be to the right of the navigation anyway.....

craft with sterndrives and outboards go where thay are told when running astern. craft with shaft driven props and rudders will not, to a greater or lesser degree. the elysian will be worse than a narrowboat as it does not have the benfit of a swim.

and to further compound the crap being spouted about boats in reverse..... not all grp craft can manage to go well astern shock horror!!

dads elysian, a 27 foot 9' 6" beam GRP cruiser with a BMC 1500 on a shaft has the most horrific prop walk astern than can be imagened. it wanders to starboard. putting the rudder to port or starboard has little or no effect, it goes to starboard just the same.

this can sometimes be a benefit when mooring up. more often than not it is a total pain in the arse, especially if you need to reverse to port or perform a quick stop, which sods law says you will be to the right of the navigation anyway.....

craft with sterndrives and outboards go where thay are told when running astern. craft with shaft driven props and rudders will not, to a greater or lesser degree. the elysian will be worse than a narrowboat as it does not have the benfit of a swim.

Where did i say they could?

(Sounding like Dave now :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose it will depend on where the contact occurs.

Steel narrowboats have the advantage that their gunwales, rubbing strakes, and bows tend to be at roughly the same height. If you do have a collision, it's liable to have the hulls touching, but less likely the cabin.

However, if there's a collision between, say, the high bows of a GRP cruiser and a narrowboat side, the cruiser's bow could take out a window, or scratch through a panel of signwriting. If you hit, for example, my cratch board with your bow then I could end up damaged whilst you did not.

I mean, you argue yourself that grp craft aren't generally as flimsy as some people think. Certainly, seeing the treatment that the GRP hire cruisers around here get, I'm inclined to agree to an extent.

I mean, you argue yourself that grp craft aren't generally as flimsy as some people think. Certainly, seeing the treatment that the GRP hire cruisers around here get, I'm inclined to agree to an extent.

They are certainly anything but flimsy. If they where made of egg shell, as some steel boat owners seem to believe, they wouldnt still be around 40 odd years after they where first built.

The GRP hire crusiers we hired where definatley tough cookies.