Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Sorry, tifs work OK on a Mac. I have changed them to jpgs now.

Aah! I see the light. Cigarette advert! - knew a bloke who was constantly troubled by nightmares

in which he awoke having heard continual counting. Drove him mad. Eventually told a pal at work.

His pal asked "What do you smoke?"

"Players - why?"

"Open the packet, what's it say inside the lid?"

Done many miles delivering in Morris J2's and the Austin J4 Neil? - Dixelda wallpapers, and the awful BMC JU250.

And Thames 10/12cwt for the Council as a rat catcher - Hillman Imp van too. That was pretty dire.

Later a big Austin ex-army wireless truck, had a petrol engine crash gearbox, kitted out as a judges

come commentators box for horse do's. Best of all was the RT bus though. Nine litre AEC.

Buses006Small.jpg

No, that's the RF.

What was in the packet?

'It's the tobacco that counts!'

Top pic shows, Callohan's scrap yard on the dudlet tunnel approach canal at Tipton, and shows from bank, Clive and Pat Steven's Barnes, battersea and Keith Cristie's Lynx. Note all three cabins are covered with top cloths to stop damage from bricks thrown by kids from the bridge. The second shows Alfred Matty's yard at Coseley the photo has been taken from the top end of his arm and shows in the centre, Pacific, one of his tugs., as well as two of the 3 GU boats he aquired off the Wendover tender. Neither can be Aldgate, for the bow's had been cut off her by the time this photo was taken so nearest the camera must be Greenlaw and further away Stratford which worked on the phosphorus run from Albright and Wilson for a while, and the 'white' up the bows and the loading line appear about right.

Hillman Imp van too. That was pretty dire.

The Hilman Imp van was badged as a Commer Cob.

My uncle drove an RF out of Windsor garage for many years. Later on, the short lived MBs and then onto Leyland Nationals. Think Windsor had closed by then though....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Oh and sorry Andy, My spelling mistakes. Also the other boats on my pix were:- on the inside of the top pictures is Glyn Phillips' Aquarius and on the outside on the bottom pic is Cliff Sherwoods Bellatrix when it was rigged out as a tripper running from Kinver.

Top pic shows, Callohan's scrap yard on the dudlet tunnel approach canal at Tipton, and shows from bank, Clive and Pat Steven's Barnes, battersea and Keith Cristie's Lynx. Note all three cabins are covered with top cloths to stop damage from bricks thrown by kids from the bridge. The second shows Alfred Matty's yard at Coseley the photo has been taken from the top end of his arm and shows in the centre, Pacific, one of his tugs., as well as two of the 3 GU boats he aquired off the Wendover tender. Neither can be Aldgate, for the bow's had been cut off her by the time this photo was taken so nearest the camera must be Greenlaw and further away Stratford which worked on the phosphorus run from Albright and Wilson for a while, and the 'white' up the bows and the loading line appear about right.

Actually IIRC the one wiith the bow cut off was Darley.

Paul H

Best of all was the RT bus though. Nine litre AEC.

Buses006Small.jpg

No, that's the RF.

Blimey, there is less instrumentation on that than our boat!

Assuming that's a speedo I can see, I thought that by law there had to be a gauge for the brake pressure ? Or were the RFs vacuum braked rather than air braked.

Anyway, it's definitely an RF, as you say, as you clearly enter from inside the coach, and there's the tray there for one man operation. Lovely little buses, with masses in preservation, of course.

I always fancied a go at driving one of these RF or RT offerings with a pre-selector gearbox, but have never got the chance. It must be quite an odd mindset to select a gear now that you might not want for ages!

I had a brief spell driving buses in Brighton, being a mixture of Leyland PD2 and PD3s, (very similar chassis to an RT), and the rear engined Leyland Atlanteans. Those were fully manual, for the old ones, or semi-automatics for the later ones.

It's been a while - I suspect I'd be clueless now!

Alan

Blimey, there is less instrumentation on that than our boat!

Assuming that's a speedo I can see, I thought that by law there had to be a gauge for the brake pressure ? Or were the RFs vacuum braked rather than air braked.

(snip)

Alan

Ooops! Bit off the beaten track here -

Speedo, reads up to 50mph.

Pressure - No gauge, but a metal stencilled flag that dropped down into drivers line of sight on loss of sufficient air, and a clear lamp above that came on.

Here's the Guy Special - four speed crash box; 1st & 2nd Right forward & back, 3rd & top Left fwd. & back. Catches people out.

Perkins straight six, lovely growl to it.

http://www.countrybus.org.uk/GS/GS.html#intro

Buses010Small.jpg

Done many miles delivering in Morris J2's and the Austin J4 Neil? - Dixelda wallpapers, and the awful BMC JU250.

The J2 was badged either way depending which franchised dealer sold it. At that time there were still making the effort to make subtle differences to the design, rather than just change the badge.

This is the Austin clicky

And this is the Morris clicky

The dreaded JU250 replaced the J2 models around 1966.

Think the J4 came later, though not certain. It was a lighter payload vehicle so I believe they ran concurrently. Again was available as an Austin or Morris, and also badged as a BMC when sold by the commercial vehicle dealers. Though face lifted and normal control, the same basic bodyshell design and a lot of the panel tooling was continued through subsequent Sherpa, Freight Rover and LDV models till discontinued in recent years.

Basically they were all an Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford van.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

And this is the Morris clicky

That was what we had, sliding door, and the Austin badged like this.

Diesel Morris, petrol Austin. Preferred the Austin, slimmer & smoother.

With the door latched on open, I could jump in - hit the clutch and gear lever - press the throttle and be moving before my bum bounced in the seat! We all tried a Transit one week, and had to open the door, climb in, feed your legs around the wheel arch, shut the door . . .

With the door latched on open, I could jump in - hit the clutch and gear lever - press the throttle and be moving before my bum bounced in the seat! We all tried a Transit one week, and had to open the door, climb in, feed your legs around the wheel arch, shut the door . . .

I know exactly what you mean; I used to deliver milk with one.

Are any vehicles made with sliding front doors now? Would it be illegal?

There used to be Transits with sliding doors, I used to drive one occasionally.

The first vehicle I owned was a CA Utilabrake (or was it workabus? wooden slatted seats in the back, along the sides)

It had sliding doors which had rotted at the bottom, if you weren't careful to have the doors latched fully open or closed they would flap outwards on corners.

Tim

The first vehicle I owned was a CA Utilabrake (or was it workabus? wooden slatted seats in the back, along the sides)

It had sliding doors which had rotted at the bottom, if you weren't careful to have the doors latched fully open or closed they would flap outwards on corners.

Tim

Sliding, nanny don't allow now. Remember the Evening Standard CA's - big bundles thrown out the side on the move!

'Workbus' that had the wooden slatted seats. One here called a 'Busette', http://tinyurl.com/auw92h got cushions, and I suspect a different seating layout.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

OK, back on topic.

Big girls - which? (Gonna be easy for some)

AnonPict0016Medium.jpg

AnonPict0017Large.jpg

Not sure of the top pic, though its probably on the Calder & Hebble, but the bottom one is of Wye at Barnoldswick, with Dee in the background. Taken around 1990-5? They are just creating a marina here at the moment after about twenty years of planning. Today, the only traditional boat in the area is Kennet, moored just above Greenberfield Locks. The L&LC Society is negotiating with BW at the moment to take her over.

Not sure of the top pic, though its probably on the Calder & Hebble, but the bottom one is of Wye at Barnoldswick, with Dee in the background. Taken around 1990-5? They are just creating a marina here at the moment after about twenty years of planning. Today, the only traditional boat in the area is Kennet, moored just above Greenberfield Locks. The L&LC Society is negotiating with BW at the moment to take her over.

Top Pic Looks a bit like Leeds to me, but I don't think it is 'Horbury'.

Top Pic Looks a bit like Leeds to me, but I don't think it is 'Horbury'.

Correct Sir, Wye and the Dee. 1988.

Pict0017Medium.jpg

Not Horbury, close to Leeds.

There used to be Transits with sliding doors....

Tim

The Mk 1 transit had an option of sliding doors. I've even seen them with a sliding door for the driver and slam door for the passenger. I believe that was the last Transit to offer them.

Why would they be illegal? as long as the door secures in the open position I can't see it being a problem of driving with them open. Can't fall out with seatbelts on.

One of the current Peugeot cars, the 1007?? has only sliding doors, and Citroen Berlingo and Pug equivalent has them for the rear seat passengers.

Tim

There is a new Peugeot car with sliding doors and I have seen a number in the UK. It looks very handy when in a close parking situation eg the supermarket.

George ex nb Alton retired