Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

I did wonder if it was Domino.

Were the planks 'found' in some sort of falling down building? I'm sure I remember it. The only other things I remember from that holiday were John offering the policeman a 'drop of scotch' and me refusing to wear i life jacket and staying inside the boat all the way down the trent!

The planks were part of some bank piling that Waterways were working on.

The Scotch was part of an exchange mechanism part way up the Wigan flight. We'd got delayed - I think by a de-watered pound - and John supplied the lubricant in exchange for tall tales and a protective presence to deter the local oiks from getting too interested in the boats. He wasn't in uniform or anything, but they all knew him by sight. I don't think we would have had any problems even without him, as one of the accompanying boats had an Airedale that would have taken on Schwarzenegger and spat him out for breakfast. The towpath was 'impassable' while he was there. It did turn into a very entertaining evening though.

Yes, I remember you got 'sectioned' for the tidal:-

Trent0002Large.jpg

Just locked out at Keadby on a new flood bound for Lincoln.

And before that, a young Satellite steerer peeking out:-

Trent0001Large.jpg

Look at this - two 40hp Bolinder powered tubs trying to keep up with an old Josher with a PD2!

Sorry chaps, we seem to have digressed off guessing the boats!

Edited by Derek R.

Try this set for size. Top two same day bottom one same place but a couple of months later with extra boat

BatterseaBarnes0001.jpg

Well the first image is BatterseaBarnes0001.jpg

Any chance it's Battersea & Barnes, or is that a decoy ?

Foul Sir!!! right click is a matter of honour on this thread, for that you must lockwheel the trent and mersey for a fly boat carrying night soil.

Right click ?

If I hit the reply button, there are boat names displayed in the reply window.

I think people need to call the .jpg files something other than the name of the boats.

Oh dear I knew it was dangerous giving OAP modern technology But now youve told me I will be sure to change names of pix next time. But ok then that was not the boats I wanted identified (He He got out of that one) it was the others. Hmmmmmm the two boats either side of Battersea and Barnes and the extra boat on the third pic. (lol) come on Andy you should get the butty being re cabined. Hint. and the location?

Try this set for size. Top two same day bottom one same place but a couple of months later with extra boat

BatterseaBarnes0001.jpg

Boardshidetheleaks0001.jpg

newcabin2web.jpg

Battersea Barnes Lynn (bluetop) Bingley (being recabinned) and a lovely job someone did at Colloghans yard tipton using if Im not mistaken 1.5inch thick Kerowin tongue and groove boards fixed using 3inch stainless steel screws and oak frames.

:lol:

Not sure what the motor is on the outside of the bottom pic tho, is it one of the cowburn motors? Swan maybe??

and Alan I apologise for my conclusion jumping

Thanks fr posting that Peter, how odd that the footings in the pic I posted did look as though they were a completely different shape, got to say Id have been very surprised if shed have really been like that. Lovely looking boat btw, whens that red oxide getting covered up tho. :lol:

Stanton has recently moved to Brinklow where Rex is to fit out the back cabin. Yes, we went on the Jam Ole Run in October with nothing inside the back cabin other than a floor. Hence the tent in the hold. Sleeping in a tent was no problem, but a lack of cupboards etc (just boxes on the floor) inside the back cabin made life quite difficult. No more trips until we have a proper cabin.

gallery_5802_2_29638.jpg

The fetching(?) red oxide livery should be replaced once all the fitting out (including slide and back doors) is complete - fingers crossed sometime this summer.

Peter

Cheek! Yes. - now do it properly!

Sorry chaps - I was messing about with the edit mode in photobucket. Let's try again:

Barges0017Medium.jpg

Stockton Yes. Well done for spotting the 'Old Man's' Ash! Ash and Jenny were welded together back then.

Well, your all boring or don't know.

Front row left to right; Colonel; Jaguar; Renown.

Second two; Jenny (modern); Ash.

Third; Japonica (modern); Yarmouth; Hazel.

Last; Elizabeth outside of an unknown.

It is suspected the boat on the left is Olympian, and likely Elder would have been inside of that.

Also that the timber you are talking about is Keruing.

http://www.eoburton.com/Timbers/Keruing.htm

Horrible stuff for boatbuilding, best used for wagon decks and the like.

It oozes resin for about ten years, so paint won't stick to it properly, then after the resin has finished oozing it starts to rot :lol:

Tim

Horrible stuff for boatbuilding, best used for wagon decks and the like.

It oozes resin for about ten years, so paint won't stick to it properly, then after the resin has finished oozing it starts to rot :lol:

Tim

And is almost guaranteed to go septic if you get a splinter in your finger....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Keruing kills saws.I think it's about logged out as I've seen none for some years and Fitchetts used to have piles of the stuff. There is supposed to be tons of it lying at the bottom of what used to be Salford docks as a result of slips when craning. regards, HughC.

Ah! Whoever is responsible for changing the forum layout back to what it was previously is deserving of a pint or two. All that dodging about working out who replied to what was a real put off. Many thanks!

And posts that I thought had disappeared have re-appeared - Hurrah!

So, which was Baildon - the blue boat with the shrunken Waterways 'like' cabin and newish back end - or one of Blossom's pics?

Ah - yes, Neils blue'un.

I recognised the pile of tyres that's about all.

013OldGloryTYCHO.jpg

That's not Matty's yard either as Blossom has informed me. No prizes for guessing the other boats.

Edited by Derek R.

Ah! Whoever is responsible for changing the forum layout back to what it was previously is deserving of a pint or two. All that dodging about working out who replied to what was a real put off. Many thanks!

And posts that I thought had disappeared have re-appeared - Hurrah!

So, which was Baildon - the blue boat with the shrunken Waterways 'like' cabin and newish back end - or one of Blossom's pics?

Ah - yes, Neils blue'un.

I recognised the pile of tyres that's about all.

013OldGloryTYCHO.jpg

That's not Matty's yard either as Blossom has informed me. No prizes for guessing the other boats.

A couple more similar photos are at http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/images.html

I can name the vehicles.... :lol:

From the left the green lorry is a Seddon, next one has a Motor Panels LAD cab so is either a Leyland, Albion or Dodge. Next up is a Morris J2 van (the Austin version had horizontal grille bars) followed by a string of Fords, a Thames 400E van, Consul Highline and think the next is a Thames van. Up on the heap is a Mini van and a Bedford CA which appears to have windows in the side so is likely a Martin Walker Workobus conversion.

012.jpg

011.jpg