Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

The boat tied against the bank in the fore-ground is Jim McDonalds' boat. I can never remember whether it's "Elizabeth" or "Paris"!

"Elizabeth" - amazing craft. Thought it was really ugly the first time I saw it, but really grew on me.

Hmmm-intriguing! Is the boat tied on "Elizabeth" a Ricky? Chalfont or Kew? I know Ken Keay put a motors' stern on one of them. Or possibly Formalhaut? If I run through the lot I'll get it.

The one astern is surely a Bridgewater boat with those timber bitts on? Now I'm really in the dark!

Hmmm-intriguing! Is the boat tied on "Elizabeth" a Ricky? Chalfont or Kew? I know Ken Keay put a motors' stern on one of them. Or possibly Formalhaut? If I run through the lot I'll get it.

The one astern is surely a Bridgewater boat with those timber bitts on? Now I'm really in the dark!

I'd say "Formalhaut" ... as it's written on the side! :lol:

Spot on Carl.

Yes B&B are at the back. The one on the outside of them is not an old boat. It is Japonica. It was built to go like a torpedo, all swim, big engine ..... and it did! I believe it is still about.

The one on the inside of B&B is an old boat but I doubt anyone will get it. Clue ... it had a 15hp bolinder in it.

If it helps, the picture was taken on 1st Jan 1978 at the G.J Arms, Harlesden.

Edited by Satellite

Spot on Carl.

Yes B&B are at the back. The one on the outside of them is not an old boat. It is Japonica. It was built to go like a torpedo, all swim, big engine ..... and it did! I believe it is still about.

The one on the inside of B&B is an old boat but I doubt anyone will get it. Clue ... it had a 15hp bolinder in it.

If it helps, the picture was taken on 1st Jan 1978 at the G.J Arms, Harlesden.

Pensax?

Paul H

I thought that what's turned out to be Japonica looked "modern". She was tied at the topside of Cowroast for many years. The one on the outside in the middle row is a little Woolwich isn't it? It's a bit hard to tell when you're looking down on it. And I'm unsure about the middle one, next to Hazel-it's not another modern one is it? The windows look like the ones Allens used to put in, but it doesn't look like an Allens fore-end.

Edited by johnthebridge

The one moored against the bank, cetre of pic, by the tables. Does anyone know the story behind it? Is it a very deep draughted boat? otherwise, why the unusually shallow cabin sides?

Is the one on the outside of the Josher ex-TCO?

Dane?

Paul H

The one moored against the bank, cetre of pic, by the tables. Does anyone know the story behind it? Is it a very deep draughted boat? otherwise, why the unusually shallow cabin sides?

Actually it's more that the hull sides are very high - 6 planks rather than the usual 5. It is a runcorn baot and built to carry a large tonnage on the deep waters of the Bridgewater Canal.

Paul H

It's a six plank Runcorn Wooden Header (the wooden heads are those extended knees, sticking up).

It is similar in size to a Town Class butty and the cabin follows the lines of the original back cabin.

Dane?

Paul H

Actually it's more that the hull sides are very high - 6 planks rather than the usual 5. It is a runcorn baot and built to carry a large tonnage on the deep waters of the Bridgewater Canal.

Paul H

Of course. Now you've pointed it out, I can see the gunwale is well above the two moored alongside.

Well as a narrowboat novice I have no idea what these are called of course

But I posted to say that I'm struck by how much this picture shows to the unitiated just how different narrowboats are

And it's fantastic to see a Josher next to others that are not - NOW I can see the difference

I thought that what's turned out to be Japonica looked "modern". She was tied at the topside of Cowroast for many years.

'Japonica' was moored at the Cowroast, the owner met a sad end on the boat and it was 'for sale' in 1987.

Leo.