Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Yes the WAL... on the can is a bit of a giveaway!

Didn't spot that.

I know boat and owner very well.

One of the symptoms of working at Brinklow boats, and owning a wooden boat is you leave with the smartest back cabin and engine room and ropiest of hulls.

Edited by carlt

I knew you would recognise it, Mike :lol:

EDIT - This shows some more of the buildings

Renown-2.jpg

Tim

Not quite the same site as this is the original canal basin at Wigan, with the cotton warehouses on the right. The earliest warehouse dating from the 1770s is on the photographers right, with the straddle warehouse, built c1820, behind him. This section of the canal was actually built by as the terminus of the Douglas Navigation in 1740, originally with a lock into the river in the far distance. The original boat yard here was on the ground beyond the warehouses. When the canal from Liverpool opened in 1774, boats travelled on the main line to Parbold and then took the branch to Dean where they entered the old Douglas Navigation for passage to Wigan. The deep lock at Appley Bridge dates from this time as there was no problem with water supply as it came directly from the river at Dean. The river was bypassed in 1781 when the canal was extended from Dean to the basin at Wigan, hence the right angled bend beyond the boats in the distance. The converted lifeboat on the left is just turning into the 'branch' canal to Leeds and Leigh which opened in 1816. The rise in the towpath in the distance is what is now known as Wigan Pier. However, the real pier was the viaduct built by the East Lancashire Railway which crosses the canal as the railway leaves Wallgate Station. The East Lancashire built on the cheap and had several wood-framed viaducts which looked much like seaside piers. Wigan Pier dates from a song by George Formby Senior in which he talks about going to the seaside from Wigan North Western Station and looking down on Wigan's Pier as the train left the station.

Mentioning the deep lock at Appley, this was built for circa 72 feet long boats, 'inside' Mersey flats at the time normally being under 69 feet long. Yorkshire locks were built 62 feet long to suit keels. When the extension from Dean to Wigan was built, this was done under the canal's Liverpool committee with locks 72 feet long, while the Rufford branch was built under the Bradford committee with 62 feet locks. The Leigh branch was built under the Bradford committee and also had 62 feet long locks, rapidly lengthened to allow narrow boats access to Liverpool. The two shallow locks at Appley were built as traffic to Liverpool increased and the water supply became more difficult to control with the 12 feet deep lock at Appley being supplied by eight feet deep locks further up the canal.

Digging through the pictures of Badsey and Barnes I can accross this.

An interesting selection of boats. So - who's first?

661stJan78GJArmsHarlesden.jpg

Well well, Badsey and Barnes - me old boats. I loved Badsey and lived on the old girl for a good while - Zita and I had sell the boat to finance the business. Barnes went with my previous wife - I haven`t heard of, or seen either since !

Phil

Damn, been out all day and missed a good thread by the look of it. On my site there are quite a few pics of Seal and I was praying no one had got it but of course with the knowledge there is here it was spotted before the end of the thread.

Didn't spot that.

I know boat and owner very well.

One of the symptoms of working at Brinklow boats, and owning a wooden boat is you leave with the smartest back cabin and engine room and ropiest of hulls.

Is the hull really ropy or is it just in need of blacking? From some of your posts before Id have thought it was just a bit paintworn rather than in need of major work.

128.jpg

So what's the name of the blue one behind the tree stump?

Aka Noo

Is the hull really ropy or is it just in need of blacking? From some of your posts before Id have thought it was just a bit paintworn rather than in need of major work.

Ade did loads of work, to the bows but has never really been happy with it because he used Iroko which twisted the oak, on the other side.

I understand the chine plank needs loads of work, too but I've not seen him for a long time so he may have had a chance to do some work on his boat, in between being snowed under with work on other boats.

His work is some of the best I've seen, on narrow boats, and it really is a bit of a case of "physician heal thyself"

Being at Brinklow, though, gave him the opportunity to have an engine room rebuilt and his back cabin woodwork is immaculate.

128.jpg

So what's the name of the blue one behind the tree stump?

"T. T. Satellite"