Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

OK, back on topic.

Big girls - which? (Gonna be easy for some)

AnonPict0016Medium.jpg

Goy it now, its Shipley with Hebble before conversion and possibly Apollo in the background.

How about these..... clicky

It might not have sliding doors, but you may be interested in the latest pic on http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/images.html

It even has a waterway connection!

It might not have sliding doors, but you may be interested in the latest pic on http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/images.html

Looks fun :lol:

Looking at the next pic down, Charlie Atkins on Mendip, who can name the boat behind him?

I'm pretty confident I can.

Tim

Edit to say I mean behind him, ie ahead of the boat :lol:

Edited by Timleech

How about these..... clicky

Now that I LIKE!

Goy it now, its Shipley with Hebble before conversion and possibly Apollo in the background.

UAS's if I'm not mistaken. Looks like an average Russian Trunk road in half decent condition.

Correct again, and yes to Shipley and Apollo.

Pict0016Medium2.jpg

Why would they be illegal? as long as the door secures in the open position I can't see it being a problem of driving with them open. Can't fall out with seatbelts on.

One of the current Peugeot cars, the 1007?? has only sliding doors, and Citroen Berlingo and Pug equivalent has them for the rear seat passengers.

Yes, you're right, I'd forgotten about them. Love that sinking door.

Rambler were the first with seat belts, and fitted them to stop sleeping passengers from 'falling out the car' a convertible of some sort I think.

Edited by Derek R.

Might be Ceres/Bridgewater No ?. or one of the other Bridgewater Boats.

No, it doesn't look as though anyone else will have a stab (Mike might know, he's saying nowt though).

I'm 95% certain it's the Siberia, looks as though it's got some oak crooks on board heading for the dry-dock, may have been for Mabel going by Mike's date.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Have resurected this thread with a picture I took over easter at Stone.

299-1.jpg

It's a Woolwich hull which probably started life as a butty as it has a welded steel counter and no rivets.

The colours might be distorted slightly. It was nearly dark when I took the photo and I've had to photoshop it to turn the lights on.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Yes, Alperton fits with my photos, though is a lot scruffier than when I last saw it, IIRC on the Shroppie....

How long ago was that?

It's had a lot of work done in the last five years or so, including a new bottom by yours truly, I haven't seen it for a while but presume the rest of the work (including a cabin steel skin and extension, by the owner) hasn't reached the final painting stage yet :lol:

Tim

Have resurected this thread with a picture I took over easter at Stone.

299-1.jpg

It's a Woolwich hull which probably started life as a butty as it has a welded steel counter and no rivets.

The colours might be distorted slightly. It was nearly dark when I took the photo and I've had to photoshop it to turn the lights on.

This is the fore end 3/4 of the Small Woolwich butty ANDROMEDA. The current counter (as photographed) is the second to be fitted to this boat, the first having come off the wooden Seddon's motor SUNSHINE (latterly named BEATRICE MAY) in 1985.

ANDROMEDA is one of four former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. butty's sold by British Waterways Board in 1979 having previously been used as landing stages in the north east (River Trent ?). For anybody who might be interested the other three were CORONIS, DIPPER and TAURUS.

Thanks Pete I had a feeling you'd have the answer.

Checking my previous photos of Andromeda from the mid 90s again, the colours are similar though the style of painting has changed slightly. The windows are completely different, having top hopper/sliding windows back then, though I have never managed to photograph that side of the boat before.... Oddly enough my photos show it had no name displayed then either and you identified my original photos some years ago IIRC.

What confirms for me that it is definitely the same boat is the tall silver thing, presumably a stove pipe (though looks too small diameter, I can't think what else it could be?) sticking out of the cabin roof.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know what this is? Gas street, Mid 70,s.

The name Betty is in my head but not sure why.

Wreck.jpg

Yes I think it is the Runcorn motor header Betty also mentioned by Alan Fincher in his memories of Cowroast.

I remember seeing the boat in the 90s at Hockley Port IIRC with the hull encased/replicated in steel and being used as houseboat. I imagine it is still there.

I presume it was a Simpson-Davies motor boat which were pretty unique in that they were fairly crude adaptions of butty hulls.

Paul H

I did wonder if it was the same one. Thanks Paul

It may have survived at Hockley Port, but it was supposed to have been towed away by BW and shoved up the Brickworks Arm at Tipton in the early 80s. It certainly left Gas Street then, just before they started the first clean up. It was a bit of a nuisance being sunk where it was as it wouldn't swing when you were trying to back into the bar. I don't think I ever heard the name, but Runcorn Motor boat it certainly was.

Unless it's not the mid 1970s, I'd say it's very unlikely to be the Betty I was talking about.

Although not the soundest of boats, and definitely only floating becuase of a good pump, in the mid 1970s it was still at Cow Roast (Grand Union) and still much loved, and well cared for.

I have no good pictures, but here are some poor ones....

Betty_002.jpg

Betty_001.jpg

These are almost certainly from 1976. By 1977 I was disposing of my boat, and left the canals, so I don't know what happened then.

But other than the basic hull shape, I see nothing to connect those pictures to the Betty I knew. The rear cabin on the Cow Roast one looked like I would have expected the real one to - much like a butty, despite being a motor.

It does look very similar to that in the pictures you have alan. I will ask mum for an exact date.

Not sure TBH.

The boat in my pictures had a pretty good cabin, Masonite clad, I would say, and a proper roof.

The one in the Gas Steet pictures seems to be sort of ship-lap with a felted roof, like a shed.

I would have thought it would have taken many years for the boat in my pictures to look as rough as the one in yours, but even then the conversion looks quite different.

Unless your pic is at least the 1980s, I'm struggling to see it as the same boat.

I've lost the plot slightly, but if your mum is who I think she is, she will know the Cow Roast boat - I'm pretty sure she and I have sat inside it at the same time - being roasted by the Aga, probably! (Apologies if I've got my people mixed up, though!).

It may have survived at Hockley Port, but it was supposed to have been towed away by BW and shoved up the Brickworks Arm at Tipton in the early 80s. It certainly left Gas Street then, just before they started the first clean up. It was a bit of a nuisance being sunk where it was as it wouldn't swing when you were trying to back into the bar. I don't think I ever heard the name, but Runcorn Motor boat it certainly was.

I lived between Gas Street Basin and Sherborne Street Wharf between 1980 and 1985 and I don't remember this boat at all. The only boat of this type I recall was RICHARD, but that was a house boat at Hockley Port.

I do have in my records that BETTY was sold to owners at Hawne Basin in 1980 (having being sold twice in the late 1970's), and they subsequently 'replanked' the boat with steel. BETTY in its new form was still at Hawne Basin during June 2005